R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
jsplayin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Diff fluid confusion

What is going on with the differential fluid for this car? Currently car has SAF-XJ (+FM) looking do another change since dealer did my service too early prior to 1,200 miles. It seems the correct fluid specified at this time is MSP/A. That's all great but this stuff is not listed in any database in the US at least in the 1L size (83229405462), Tisher has it listed in the 60L size (83229407870) which doesn't do me any good. Called my local dealer and the guy insists they use XJ in all their M3/M4 and its whats in their latest BMW bulletins straight from the mfg etc etc. So I had him pull my VIN and guess what? it's the msp/a listed in the 60L, he says he doesn't know what that is and can't get it. So wtf??
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #2
aclockwrk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M3 6spd

I'm in the same boat, they only used the regular SAF-XJ on mine, I asked about the +FM, and they said they all have it, what BS, they are clearly two different parts numbers. I asked about the MSP/A and they had no clue since they couldn't see it in their system.
I have a manual and they did not change the MTF. They don't do it anymore since they don't get paid by BMW. It's in back and white in the owner's manual that they should change it. WTF!

I'm buying my own fluid and doing it.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
Taimur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Same thing happened to me yesterday for my 1200 mile service in the NY region area. The MSP/A diff fluid doesn't show up in their system.
Honestly it doesn't seem like a big enough of an issue since many dealers are still using it. If something blows up later due to the SAF-XJ fluid they'll have to put in a new diff. Don't worry and enjoy your car.
Appreciate 0