THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Clear film peeling

04-02-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Clear film peeling

My car came from the dealer with 3M clear film on the front bump, hood, and mirrors. I noticed its peeling a little on the edges around areas of complex curvature at the bumper.

Is this something I should bring up to the dealer? I've had the car 6 months. Its a lease as well..I don't want to get hit with any fees if I peel it off..and I definitely don't want to pay to replace it as it starts to look like crap.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Of course take to dealer.
They'll probably want to redo the pieces that are defective.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfourn20 View Post
My car came from the dealer with 3M clear film on the front bump, hood, and mirrors. I noticed its peeling a little on the edges around areas of complex curvature at the bumper.

Is this something I should bring up to the dealer? I've had the car 6 months. Its a lease as well..I don't want to get hit with any fees if I peel it off..and I definitely don't want to pay to replace it as it starts to look like crap.
I recall 3M has a 5 year warranty, so it should be replaced at no charge for peeling, unless someone caused it to happen.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #4
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

If it's peeling at edges, it was probably due to application process...cleaning, curing time or warping...in any case, back to the dealer. They sub contract that out--it can be taken care of in easy order. Many shops are not as meticulous as I think they should be...quick in, quick out. I have the same and done by a high end shop, and it's fine...and my shop stands behind it. He hates any imperfections etc...hope it works out OK for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #5
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

This happened on my 2010 335 and I had them redo the pieces that were coming off. I got no argument from the dealer at all. I absolutely hated the "clear bra" and will never get another one. Despite what anyone says, it is noticeable even when it's not peeling. Waxing the car with that line across the hood is a pain. No clear bras for me. I'll take my chances.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #6
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep

And I am at the other end of spectrum. Absolutely love the clear bra...never be without it.
BUT...NO "bikini line" half way up and across the bonnet...THAT is wrong way to do it and WILL be a pain. Get entire hood done and it works. If you can afford the car and some clear, you might as well do it all. Best hunk of money I have spent on the car as I hate the chips that WILL come, and dislike the idea of spot coloring. That shows worse. Just another perspective.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
And I am at the other end of spectrum. Absolutely love the clear bra...never be without it.
BUT...NO "bikini line" half way up and across the bonnet...THAT is wrong way to do it and WILL be a pain. Get entire hood done and it works. If you can afford the car and some clear, you might as well do it all. Best hunk of money I have spent on the car as I hate the chips that WILL come, and dislike the idea of spot coloring. That shows worse. Just another perspective.
I guess I am at a third end. Love the Xpel film and the invisible protection it offers. I have no problem whatsoever with the half hood/fender application. Not wrong and has been no problem! Xpel is so thin and colorless, I often lose sight of it when washing the car. No pain at all to just look again to know I am using my soft mitt across the hood instead of with the car length. When I waxed, a touch of Adam's Cleaner on the microfiber and any residue on the edge is gone in seconds. I've challenged people to find it in bright daylight and they have to look two or three times to focus enough. The cost differential is significant from half to full, as the half hood (at least from Xpel) comes to the installer as a pre-cut kit, versus having to make a manual full raw-sheet design.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 06:24 PM   #8
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep

He makes a fine point above re: Xpel...I have the 3M and while it has not peeled, [or yellowed for that matter] I did have full bonnet. Maybe the Xpel cannot be seen, but the 3M can and does collect at edge across bonnet on those I have seen--hence why I opted for full front and hood.

Cost was less than what I hear a full front is for Xpel so in it all, am verrry happy with this application. In all cases, try to get a pro to do it who has reputation for standing behind the work.

I just did not like an obvious hood line half way up with the 3M....if it doesn't show using Xpel????...then fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 07:11 PM   #9
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
He makes a fine point above re: Xpel...I have the 3M and while it has not peeled, [or yellowed for that matter] I did have full bonnet. Maybe the Xpel cannot be seen, but the 3M can and does collect at edge across bonnet on those I have seen--hence why I opted for full front and hood.

Cost was less than what I hear a full front is for Xpel so in it all, am verrry happy with this application. In all cases, try to get a pro to do it who has reputation for standing behind the work.

I just did not like an obvious hood line half way up with the 3M....if it doesn't show using Xpel????...then fine.
Here's a look at the front end on the day the new 2 replaced the MB in the background. Can you see the Xpel line? The entire front fascia and mirror caps are done as well, plus headlamps and foglamps. $1,100.

Hint: It's just forward of the caliper
Appreciate 0