Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

04-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
DFozzy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 (MG/SS)

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 Acura MDX  [0.00]
Question and Lesson Learned on Parts

Hello everyone in the Great White North...

I think I should have asked this question a couple of days ago and saved myself some aggravation.... where does everyone order their parts/accessories from?

Reason I'm asking is I just received a set of gloss black grill surrounds and painted reflectors from IND distribution in the States that I ordered while anxiously awaiting delivery of my M3. I was quite shocked to have a COD duty of $125!!

I've ordered plenty of items from the States before, and never seen a duty that high. So, lesson learned on BMW parts (or maybe car parts?), and unfortunate, as I had a whole list of items for future purchase from IND.

So, again... is there a Canadian source for these parts?

thanks,
Derek
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #2
Balzz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
2021 X3M  [0.00]
Was it duty or brokerage fees?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #3
DFozzy
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 Acura MDX  [0.00]
The actual duty was only $17; the rest was UPS brokerage fees. I've never paid that much before, so it was a shock

On the other hand, I now have something related to my car actually in my possession
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
redfox
INSTAGRAM: @yaasplease
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFozzy View Post
The actual duty was only $17; the rest was UPS brokerage fees. I've never paid that much before, so it was a shock

On the other hand, I now have something related to my car actually in my possession
1) Never ship with UPS, they are the worst for brokerage fees; always ship via USPS!
2) Try to do it through a shop here, such as Eurocharged. They can get you items but with less shipping/brokerage since they are a business.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #5
DFozzy
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 Acura MDX  [0.00]
Thanks for the reply.. that makes sense now. I think all the other things I've ever ordered from the States came via USPS, not UPS.

I'll try to find some local shops... that's a good suggestion.

thanks again
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #6
Brennan ///M4
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Cabriolet

Garage List
I've had the same concern as I'll be making basically the same order shortly (adding in the side markers) ... unfortunately I haven't been able to find those pieces available from any Canadian retailer (or even a US retailer that doesn't use UPS).

If anyone knows of a Canadian retailer that stocks the IND pieces (or anything similar), I'd love to hear about it.
      04-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #7
egalley
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2020 M340i, 2019 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan ///M4 View Post
I've had the same concern as I'll be making basically the same order shortly (adding in the side markers) ... unfortunately I haven't been able to find those pieces available from any Canadian retailer (or even a US retailer that doesn't use UPS).

If anyone knows of a Canadian retailer that stocks the IND pieces (or anything similar), I'd love to hear about it.
I couldn't find any place. I had to order a few pieces directly from IND. If you hear of some place let me know please. There's not too many new M's in Ottawa. I've only seen 1 Austin yellow M4.
      04-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #8
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Check out BMW True North (on Facebook), a GTA dealer is a sponsor and I know they offer a discount on BMW parts to members!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #9
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

UPS are the worst crooks for brokerage fees . I avoid them like pest when ordering from the US.

I discovered Freeport Forwarding a few years ago. It is a warehouse located just beside the border on the US side. They are a 30 minute drive from where I live. You can order stuff in the US and have it delivered there. You then pay the duties (usually limited to GST and PST for NA or EU goods) when crossing the border (you need to declare them). No brokerage fees as you are your own broker . I find it very convenient. When the CAD was at par with the USD, there were incredible deals to be made. It is not as good now, but I still find it cheaper that way for some items (I just ordered my track wheels and pads that way).

Maybe you can check if there is a similar service in your area.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #10
DFozzy
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 Acura MDX  [0.00]
That sounds like a good way of doing it... I'm about 40 mins from the border as well.
I had the same problem as above, i.e., couldn't find most of the parts that IND offers on any of the Canadian sites.

Appreciate the responses, so thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 11:01 PM   #11
Brennan ///M4
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by egalley View Post
I couldn't find any place. I had to order a few pieces directly from IND. If you hear of some place let me know please. There's not too many new M's in Ottawa. I've only seen 1 Austin yellow M4.
Will do. I haven't seen a single f8x in the wild yet (aside from the white cabrio I did my test drive in, and an azurite coupe they had in the back). It seems to be a pretty rare beast in this area, which suits me just fine ... I see RS5s and AMG mercs everywhere I turn.
      04-02-2015, 02:29 PM   #12
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
That sounds like a good way of doing it... I'm about 40 mins from the border as well.
I had the same problem as above, i.e., couldn't find most of the parts that IND offers on any of the Canadian sites.

For GTA people, and similar to CanAutM3, I've used http://www.cbiusa.com. They are just over the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls, NY.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #13
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

After seeing this thread today, I just spoke with IND on an order I placed this week. They are going to ship using USPS to minimize the brokerage fees. I am not sure if that is just for me, or if they will do so going forward now that I have brought it to their attention.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #14
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

For any of you guys in the GTA/Golden Horseshoe area, I've had great luck with UPS but I use their depot location in Lewiston @14304, have been for 15 years now. Excellent staff, 5 min's from the Lewiston bridge, no charge to have items shipped there (although you have only 7 days to pick items up) and no issues coming back, just pay our HST. They're moving to a new location in the coming months but it'll still be handy to the border. PM me if you'd like an address and phone number. It's not listed on the UPS website.
      04-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #15
egalley
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2020 M340i, 2019 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Will do. I haven't seen a single f8x in the wild yet (aside from the white cabrio I did my test drive in, and an azurite coupe they had in the back). It seems to be a pretty rare beast in this area, which suits me just fine ... I see RS5s and AMG mercs everywhere I turn.
Thanks,
And I'll keep an eye out around town for you
      04-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #16
M3Fanatics
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 YMB F80 M3 '15 BSM F15 X5

I had to pay $250 on top of the shipping cost on my order from IND.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #17
pyceasyas123
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalley View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
For any of you guys in the GTA/Golden Horseshoe area, I've had great luck with UPS but I use their depot location in Lewiston @14304, have been for 15 years now. Excellent staff, 5 min's from the Lewiston bridge, no charge to have items shipped there (although you have only 7 days to pick items up) and no issues coming back, just pay our HST. They're moving to a new location in the coming months but it'll still be handy to the border. PM me if you'd like an address and phone number. It's not listed on the UPS website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundstream View Post
After seeing this thread today, I just spoke with IND on an order I placed this week. They are going to ship using USPS to minimize the brokerage fees. I am not sure if that is just for me, or if they will do so going forward now that I have brought it to their attention.
For all those that haven't already ordered painted reflectors. European Autobody is going to be offering painted reflectors to us Canadians. They are located in Toronto. No duties or worry about import fees. These guys use OEM reflectors and OEM paint. I just got mine done paint match is spot on and fit is perfect of course. Can't say enough about these guys. They are a first class shop...very impressed with the service level. If any of you guys need painted parts, call Manny or email him (mdeluca@euroab.com).

Last edited by pyceasyas123; 04-07-2015 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2015, 08:24 AM   #18
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyceasyas123 View Post
Can't say enough about these guys. They are a first class shop...very impressed with the service level. If any of you guys need painted parts, call Manny or email him (mdeluca@euroab.com).
Years ago, I had bumpers, mirrors, and a bunch of other accessories painted by them and they were all excellent quality.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #19
Brennan ///M4
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundstream View Post
I asked IND if they could send my stuff via USPS, and they changed it over right away. I received my package yesterday with no duty or brokerage owing! Just send them a message when you make your order, they seem pretty open to changing shipping methods.