BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

EXXEL Distributions

01-30-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
M-DCT price

Hi guys,
Asked my dealer what the M-DCT cost would be, $6,100...A far cry from the NCO on the E46!

Im quite happy to stick with the 6MT!

Also BMW still wont confirm the sedan is coming to Australia, but surely it will have to provide some competition to the C63 now that the RS4 has ceased production.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 01:43 AM   #2
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
The sedan is set to make its Australian debut in the second half of the year according to either Motor or Wheels magazines.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 05:30 AM   #3
GeriFix
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92; MG TF 160; C2 VTS

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
$6,100

It would want to be very good at that price. I drove a 2006 M3 with SMG last year .... If buying it new, I would have paid extra to get the manual! I know this M-DCT is (completely) different, but there is still an extra (electronic) layer between the drivers desire to change gear and the transmissions response to that desire. There is no way I would be ordering M-DCT without test driving it first.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Apparently like 85-90% of the E46s sold in Oz were SMGs, probably partly due to the NCO factor.

Im of the Y-Generation and a big fan of the whole iDrive philosphy and automation/electronics, but I still think for pure enjoyment on a day to day basis it is hard to beat the 6MT...A bit like flying, multiple autopilots and autothrottles are very handy but at the end of the day the fun happens when you disconnect them...

I suspect there are a few who are not comfortable with a MT and may be trying to convince themselves and others that M-DCT is therefore the bees knees...Of course I could be wrong on this!

If I were spending every weekend at the track I would probably think differently, I will take my car to the track occasionally but I would feel more comfortable (financially.....not physically ) tracking a $20k motorcycle than a $180k car regularly.....
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
GeriFix
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
The performance figures for the M-DCT are impressive, but they don't give you any feeling for its day-to-day utility.

Personally though, I don't think 2 clutches are enough ... I think they should have 3 clutches. The one you are using and the other 2 holding the gears above and below. Or maybe 7 clutches .. one for each gear .. that would cut down the response time
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Hmmm the Septuple Clutch Transmission....
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
GeriFix
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStriker View Post
Hmmm the Septuple Clutch Transmission....
Yup ... move over Chris Bangle ... I've got all the ideas right here. I'd envisage the M-SCT to be rather bulky, so to give the driver somewhere to put his/her feet, it would have to be moved to the back, Alfetta style.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

Thats a hefty increase just for a M-DCT. With on road costs the car will be around 181k drive away, gotta love BMW Aus
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #9
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Having had several hours in my new car I am completely happy with my decision to stick to 6MT.

In Sport Plus the throttle response is brilliant and you get a lovely instantaneous blip of the revs with a quick heel toe on the downshifts, the engine feels like it has a very small flywheel on the acceleration side of things. Deceleration on the otherhand has been a bit handicapped by emissions regs these days I think.

O.T. the M3 has a wonderful noise, a "cam drive noise" perhaps that you hear while slowing down in a low gear, sounds very business like!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #10
LuKe450
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

I can't wait to get mine. I ordered it (Alpine White, DCT, 19's, coupe, carbon roof etc) in February & have been told I'll be driving it in August..

I see the 'merican's can track their cars from the production line. Is there anyway us Australian's can do the same??

Cheers,

LuKe.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
Androo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 AW DCT

Hey Luke,
Congrats on the purchase, I have an AW, DCT, 19's, CF roof arriving September. With the tracking, i beleive you can only track the cars coming to oz once they get on the boat.
Where did you purchase your car from? Have you been given production date or Vin No's etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 06:00 PM   #12
LuKe450
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androo View Post
Hey Luke,
Congrats on the purchase, I have an AW, DCT, 19's, CF roof arriving September. With the tracking, i beleive you can only track the cars coming to oz once they get on the boat.
Where did you purchase your car from? Have you been given production date or Vin No's etc.

Hi

I bought mine (sounds like we've ordered the same colour & spec. car!) from Stillwell's in Prahran in February. Was told a few weeks ago that we're still on track for August delivery.

Where are you getting yours from?

I don't have Production dates or Vin No's. Can my sales guy provide these??

Cheers,

LuKe.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #13
LuKe450
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Received a letter from my dealer in todays mail.

Production date: June
Expected delivery: August

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #14
Androo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hey Luke,

I purchased mine from Menere's in Brighton.

I was also informed yesterday mine is being built start of July for Late August early September delivery, the tension builds..lol

Damn wish the cars were built earlier so we wouldnt cop this extra luxury tax they've slapped on the cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 02:56 AM   #15
Bdez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez & Fox & X5 3.0d

Congrats guys !

My DCT E92 is on the ‘Toronto’ off west coast of Africa and is due to land in Brisbane on 1 July - hopefully Malcolm and his team will delay the legislation in the senate to give me a chance at escaping the LCT
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #16
LuKe450
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdh2009 View Post
Congrats guys !

My DCT E92 is on the ‘Toronto’ off west coast of Africa and is due to land in Brisbane on 1 July - hopefully Malcolm and his team will delay the legislation in the senate to give me a chance at escaping the LCT

Nice work!

When did you order your DCT & how did you find out what boat it's on??

We will need to start another thread.... "Aussie delivered DCT's"
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #17
Androo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Man, you must be getting excited.
Same question really,
Do you know when it was actually built and what date it got on a ship? Just so us guys can get some idea how long they will be on the water for.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #18
Bdez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez & Fox & X5 3.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androo View Post
Man, you must be getting excited.
Same question really,
Do you know when it was actually built and what date it got on a ship? Just so us guys can get some idea how long they will be on the water for.

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuKe450 View Post
Nice work!

Had an order in around 12 months ago and confirmed it as a DCT around January this year but had to wait until around 8 weeks ago to confirm a May build July delivery slot so I think I’ve been a bit lucky but also have a good sales guy in Chris at Brisbane BMW.

Tracking wise I have used the following site but you will need your VIN Number which the dealer can give you when it is built. You just need to key this into the Cargo ID box and you are away. This will then tell the date and time delivered to the port, the date loaded on the ship and the ship name. You can then click on the voyage code for a schedule of where the boat will be docking and when.

http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppTrac...trackType=RoRo

To track the ship progress use the following and just type in the ship name

http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Home.html

In my case the ‘Toronto’ was last tracked off the west coast of Africa but is currently out of range. (Go to the site and key in Toronto and have a look). The vehicle was booked in 14/5, received at the terminal 19/5 loaded on the 22/5 and is due in Brisbane 1/7 via Southampton, Port Elizabeth, Durban, Reunion, Melbourne and a few other stops as well.

A lot of this info is also shown on the various order tracking threads so there may be better way of doing this or more relevant info.

Can hardly wait as I’m driving a XR6 as a daily driver which is OK but not nearly the same.

Will post some pics when (and if) received.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 07:24 PM   #19
aggie57
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0d X3, 2009 997 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuKe450 View Post
Nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdh2009 View Post
Had an order in around 12 months ago and confirmed it as a DCT around January this year but had to wait until around 8 weeks ago to confirm a May build July delivery slot so I think I’ve been a bit lucky but also have a good sales guy in Chris at Brisbane BMW.

Tracking wise I have used the following site but you will need your VIN Number which the dealer can give you when it is built. You just need to key this into the Cargo ID box and you are away. This will then tell the date and time delivered to the port, the date loaded on the ship and the ship name. You can then click on the voyage code for a schedule of where the boat will be docking and when.

http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppTrac...trackType=RoRo

To track the ship progress use the following and just type in the ship name

http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Home.html

In my case the ‘Toronto’ was last tracked off the west coast of Africa but is currently out of range. (Go to the site and key in Toronto and have a look). The vehicle was booked in 14/5, received at the terminal 19/5 loaded on the 22/5 and is due in Brisbane 1/7 via Southampton, Port Elizabeth, Durban, Reunion, Melbourne and a few other stops as well.

A lot of this info is also shown on the various order tracking threads so there may be better way of doing this or more relevant info.

Can hardly wait as I’m driving a XR6 as a daily driver which is OK but not nearly the same.

Will post some pics when (and if) received.
Hi Luke - I tracked my wife's X3 this way. Believe me, she was as keen on knowing where that was as you are about your M3! Anyway, it was on the Trinidad which docked in Melbourne on the 24th of May but it's taking the best part of 3 weeks to get from Webb Dock to Stillwells. Such is life.

Jason over at Stillwell gave us the X3 VIN back in April. I'm sure they'll have yours either now or very soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #20
LuKe450
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie57 View Post
Hi Luke - I tracked my wife's X3 this way. Believe me, she was as keen on knowing where that was as you are about your M3! Anyway, it was on the Trinidad which docked in Melbourne on the 24th of May but it's taking the best part of 3 weeks to get from Webb Dock to Stillwells. Such is life.

Jason over at Stillwell gave us the X3 VIN back in April. I'm sure they'll have yours either now or very soon.
I'll get onto my guy at Stillwell's to see what he can find out for me - cheers aggie!!

While on the Eastern Freeway Friday last week I had a new (QLD rego'ed) Black M3 come past me. It sounded & looked fantastic..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 01:43 AM   #21
aggie57
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0d X3, 2009 997 Carrera S

Very nice - party time indeed!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #22
LuKe450
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I received my letter in the mail last night from my dealer informing me of the LCT increase.... looking at an increase of approx $12K with the extra Stamp duty.

Damn Labour government
Appreciate 0