F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > audiobook chipmunk problem with iPod - fixed!
ARMA SPEED

03-27-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
chickenjames
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 428i GC

audiobook chipmunk problem with iPod - fixed!

hey all

I have been suffering from a _very_ annoying problem when using my iPod classic connected through USB in my F32 428i GC.

I listen to a lot of audiobooks and some tracks don't play properly when you switch off the engine then resume playing - they are played very fast, giving a chipmunk effect. The only way to recover is to play a 'good' track.

This annoyed me for ages! It turns out that there's a bug in the BMW headunit when you're playing files from a USB device (as opposed to streaming over Bluetooth). The resume doesn't work properly unless the sample rate is 44.1KHz. If your sample rate is 22KHz (quite popular with mono audiobooks) then you get the problem. I haven't tested with anything at 48kHz but I imagine that if you do, then the track will get played a little slow.
This is definitely a headend bug but there's a fairly easy workaround in iTunes - recode the track to have a sample rate of 44.1KHz. I haven't yet found any tracks where this doesn't work.
It makes no difference I think, whether the offending track is mono or stereo.

hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Good tip. This is the kind of thing I'd spend hours on, trying to figure out.

My latest is that my Classic doesn't seem to be showing artwork. Now I'm not positive the songs I've been listening to have artwork assigned...but I think they do.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 04:52 AM   #3
chickenjames
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 428i GC

trust me, I spent hours figuring this out!
Appreciate 0