THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Dealer damaged car while in for repair (Advice)

03-18-2015, 09:56 AM   #1
RockinTwinTurbos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW SPY M4 6MT

Garage List
Dealer damaged car while in for repair (Advice)

Needless to say it has been a very stressful couple of days. I took my car last week to get my tires replaced due to pothole damage from the recent ice storms here in Texas to a dealership I normally do not deal with.

Was greeted poorly and made to fill out the triplicate paperwork on the clipboard myself because I didnt have an appointment and they were busy. Fine. They did not have the tires I needed so I paid to ship them next day and would have the car aligned and balanced since the tire damage knocked it out of alignment. 2 days go by and I do not hear from the dealership so I call them and leave a message.

They called back only to tell me that one of their technicians backed into the drivers side door of my car with another vehicle. I have pictures attached to an email from the service adviser. They agree to pay for the damage and have the door replaced and give me a 2-3 week time period for the repairs. I get a call yesterday, 4 days after I looked at the car with the damage, to tell me it is ready. I do not think they replaced the door and did what they had to in that amount of time. I get to the dealership and nowhere on the paperwork does it state what work was done on the car nor that it was their fault. It states "Client called and informed the car has lot damage and will need repairs". They called me. They gave me some BS line about how they did want to put details because they did not think I wanted it to appear on CarFax. So now I am skeptical of all the work done on the car and the credibility of this dealership. On top of this, they made me pay for the balance and alignment of the vehicle.

I got the car in January and it is now wrecked. Damaged by the dealership.

Anyone have any advice?

2021 Sao Paulo Yellow M4 6MT (on order)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinTwinTurbos View Post
Needless to say it has been a very stressful couple of days. I took my car last week to get my tires replaced due to pothole damage from the recent ice storms here in Texas to a dealership I normally do not deal with.

Was greeted poorly and made to fill out the triplicate paperwork on the clipboard myself because I didnt have an appointment and they were busy. Fine. They did not have the tires I needed so I paid to ship them next day and would have the car aligned and balanced since the tire damage knocked it out of alignment. 2 days go by and I do not hear from the dealership so I call them and leave a message.

They called back only to tell me that one of their technicians backed into the drivers side door of my car with another vehicle. I have pictures attached to an email from the service adviser. They agree to pay for the damage and have the door replaced and give me a 2-3 week time period for the repairs. I get a call yesterday, 4 days after I looked at the car with the damage, to tell me it is ready. I do not think they replaced the door and did what they had to in that amount of time. I get to the dealership and nowhere on the paperwork does it state what work was done on the car nor that it was their fault. It states "Client called and informed the car has lot damage and will need repairs". They called me. They gave me some BS line about how they did want to put details because they did not think I wanted it to appear on CarFax. So now I am skeptical of all the work done on the car and the credibility of this dealership. On top of this, they made me pay for the balance and alignment of the vehicle.

I got the car in January and it is now wrecked. Damaged by the dealership.

Anyone have any advice?
  1. Do not pick the car up.
  2. Send a registered letter to the dealership general manager reminding them of the door replacement as the agreed repair and ask for paperwork to document the door replacement. Send a registered copy to BMWUSA Customer Relations.
  3. Ask to see the old door once removed from the vehicle.

Further steps will depend on how they reply to these steps.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
MEBII
Mike Bryan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Post the dealers name here.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #4
RockinTwinTurbos
United_States
Rep

Garage List
BMW of Dallas

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
  1. Ask to see the old door once removed from the vehicle.
This is key. Unless its warranty work that part is yours, and they have no right to get rid of it without your permission.

Thing with the 2 series is there are NO parts on hand for them. I dread anything happening to my car because i know it means i wont be seeing it for weeks.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Unfortunate, was the repair done well ?
I don't know that I would want any kind of Bondo slapped on, but if they can use just paintless dent removal or a new panel that would probably be ideal.
DOOR REPLACE may just be a semantic description - outter door panel is usually the way to go, but I'd try to find out if BONDO or some type of fiberglass filler was used and you could probably confirm that with a magnet.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
chrisv_335EBII
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 6sp EBII

Also, what are they doing about diminished value?
Your car is worth considerably less now because of the accident.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBII View Post
Bad move.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:11 PM   #9
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

Unbelievable!! Definitely get corporate involved and get your old damaged door back (if they even replaced it)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #10
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Why is it so important to replace door? Makes it seem like damage was worse than it was . Was door entirely caved in? If not, then it would be considered a door ding on car fax wouldn't it? Door replacement is entirely different. Why would they use filler?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #11
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY
Why is it so important to replace door? Makes it seem like damage was worse than it was . Was door entirely caved in? If not, then it would be considered a door ding on car fax wouldn't it? Door replacement is entirely different. Why would they use filler?
On a second thought, he's right. Replacing a door removed the VIN # that was originally on the door. So the next buyer will know that the door was once replaced.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #12
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBII View Post
Bad move.
I disagree.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #13
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
. Why would they use filler?
Unless they used a new panel or paintless dent removal chances are filler was used?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
RockinTwinTurbos
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It was not just a door ding. I would not be upset about a door ding. You can tell a car hit the door at more than 5mph. It even hit my side mirror.

When I asked what the protocol was in this situation the service manager said to replace the door (probably did mean the panel).

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #15
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

What I mean is a car fax with a replacement door looks way worse than a repaired dent. A pulled dent is no worse than a new panel quality wise. Paint will be worse on a new panel.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #16
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
  1. Do not pick the car up.
  2. Send a registered letter to the dealership general manager reminding them of the door replacement as the agreed repair and ask for paperwork to document the door replacement. Send a registered copy to BMWUSA Customer Relations.
  3. Ask to see the old door once removed from the vehicle.

Further steps will depend on how they reply to these steps.
Agreed, follow these steps.

I'm sorry to hear about this. I hope its resolved soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 02:32 PM   #17
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

If the repair job looks 100% why do you need to know any more about the repair job. The repair is warrantied by BMW.
      03-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #18
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
If the repair job looks 100% why do you need to know any more about the repair job. The repair is warrantied by BMW.
I would probably want to check Carfax to see if the repair was logged and, if so, if the dollar amount of the repair is sufficiently material to trigger a diminished residual value.
If there is the potential of diminished value then I would have a serious discussion with the dealer.
      03-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #19
g18galvin
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4MR

Can you post the pic of the damage they sent you?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 05:16 PM   #20
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i

This is absolutely horrible and the dealerships response was even worse. I am sorry to hear this. I would not let this one slide, otherwise they will continue doing the same thing to other clients. Please fight for what you know is right in this situation and let us know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 05:24 PM   #21
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
I would probably want to check Carfax to see if the repair was logged and, if so, if the dollar amount of the repair is sufficiently material to trigger a diminished residual value.
If there is the potential of diminished value then I would have a serious discussion with the dealer.
A little off topic, but can you claim diminished value on a lease? My car was in a bad accident and has had residual problems and I want out. Would need resid. value check to offset the lease termination fee.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 06:36 PM   #22
M235guy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Sorry to hear about the damage. Had a similar thing happen with a Honda I had but it was handled by the dealer a lot better than this

Sad to see a DFW dealer acting like this
Appreciate 0