THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum TWO cracked suspension pieces (Updated w/ PICS)

03-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #1
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

TWO cracked suspension pieces (Updated w/ PICS)

So I was on my way to work this morning when I started to notice a clanking sound coming from the passenger side front tire area. I had just hit a minor imperfection in the road, so I pulled over to see if there was any rim or tire damage. No damage was visible and I didn't hear any air leaking so I got back in the car and proceeded to the dealership a few miles away. When I got to the dealership I was told that this was the result of an impact and would not be covered under warranty. I can understand this logic despite how frustrating it is. I reluctantly agreed to pay the diagnostic fee ($225) so I could get the car taken care of ASAP. I took a cab to work and planned to return on my lunch hour to see the damage. Well, when I got back, more than 3 hours later, they had not had a chance to get the car on the lift. Because I knew it would not be covered under warranty, I told them to give me back the car and took it to my trusted indy guy. He got the car up on a lift right away and was able to determine that the bearing and plate that sits above the strut had been cracked ON BOTH SIDES (passenger/driver). The part is not outlandishly expensive and my guy does good work, but I'm a little concerned that I will run into this problem in another 12k miles. My mechanic suggested the 19" wheels with low profile tires may exacerbate the problem, but I know the car is offerred stock with 19s and even 20s so I don't buy that. So, while the decision to fix the car is an easy one, I'm looking for some advice as to how to go about it.
1)Do you think because it is on both sides that it could be the result of normal driving and thus a defect with the car? Has anyone else had an issue like this?
2) Could it actually have been caused by my new wheel setup (only 3k on it)? If so would you suggest getting rid of the wheels or swapping tires? Right now I have Hankook V12s
3) Do you think this is something that BMW can and should take care of? They never did a diagnostic so if the damage is on the opposite side of the described impact shouldn't it be covered by warranty?

READERS DIGEST:
Can I make BMW pay for the suspension damage and regardless, after the repair should I return to 18" wheels.

UPDATE 3/17
So I returned to the pot hole today to take pictures. Unfortunately much of the gravel that was around yesterday had been eroded away by passing traffic. When I hit the hole it was slightly more covered with gravel and thus less severe. Either way it is not an abrupt hole and I saw many cars hit it squarely with no damage. I hit the edge of it with my front passenger wheel as I tried to avoid the rest of that mess. I'm going to try to get the repair done under warranty, but if not I think I have a good chance of eventually being reimbursed. I still can't understand the exact same damage to both sides. Also after further inspection there is an ever so slight bend on the inside of the wheel. Here are some pics of the hole:
Attached Images

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2

Last edited by mmmmm235i; 03-17-2015 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

I'd recommend putting the stock wheels and tires back on and try another dealership. Last thing you want is for them to warrant something and then retract it because you changed a key component
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 05:22 PM   #3
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0t View Post
I'd recommend putting the stock wheels and tires back on and try another dealership. Last thing you want is for them to warrant something and then retract it because you changed a key component
Thanks, I don't think this is a bad idea. Do you really think the setup could be the actual cause of the damage. They have only been on the car for a few thousand miles and the car is offerred with 19s. Thanks for the input.

RETIRED:
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 05:54 PM   #4
kd0t
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmm235i
Quote:
Thanks, I don't think this is a bad idea. Do you really think the setup could be the actual cause of the damage. They have only been on the car for a few thousand miles and the car is offerred with 19s. Thanks for the input.
Glad to help!

And no, I don't think it broke it necessarily.. But you know how they are, they'll say anything for you to pay out of pocket
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Wow, how did the strut mount bearings get damaged?
I'd do think if your on 19's with 40psi and your hard on the brakes going over an abrupt defect, you can do damage but I'm surprised the top of the tower was damaged as described.
Who installed the 19's and were there any alignment changes done?

Last edited by overcoil; 03-16-2015 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 06:09 PM   #6
M2BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmm235i View Post
So I was on my way to work this morning when I started to notice a clanking sound coming from the passenger side front tire area. I had just hit a minor imperfection in the road, so I pulled over to see if there was any rim or tire damage. No damage was visible and I didn't hear any air leaking so I got back in the car and proceeded to the dealership a few miles away. When I got to the dealership I was told that this was the result of an impact and would not be covered under warranty. I can understand this logic despite how frustrating it is. I reluctantly agreed to pay the diagnostic fee ($225) so I could get the car taken care of ASAP. I took a cab to work and planned to return on my lunch hour to see the damage. Well, when I got back, more than 3 hours later, they had not had a chance to get the car on the lift. Because I knew it would not be covered under warranty, I told them to give me back the car and took it to my trusted indy guy. He got the car up on a lift right away and was able to determine that the bearing and plate that sits above the strut had been cracked ON BOTH SIDES (passenger/driver). The part is not outlandishly expensive and my guy does good work, but I'm a little concerned that I will run into this problem in another 12k miles. My mechanic suggested the 19" wheels with low profile tires may exacerbate the problem, but I know the car is offerred stock with 19s and even 20s so I don't buy that. So, while the decision to fix the car is an easy one, I'm looking for some advice as to how to go about it.
1)Do you think because it is on both sides that it could be the result of normal driving and thus a defect with the car? Has anyone else had an issue like this?
2) Could it actually have been caused by my new wheel setup (only 3k on it)? If so would you suggest getting rid of the wheels or swapping tires? Right now I have Hankook V12s
3) Do you think this is something that BMW can and should take care of? They never did a diagnostic so if the damage is on the opposite side of the described impact shouldn't it be covered by warranty?

READERS DIGEST:
Can I make BMW pay for the suspension damage and regardless, after the repair should I return to 18" wheels.
Take a picture of the minor imperfection in the road and show it to the dealer. If you can convince the dealer that the imperfection in the road should not have caused the damage to your car but the damage was because of a "defect" in the components that were damaged. You maybe able to get the dealer to cover it. It is similar to blowing a tire when going over a pothole, the dealer will not cover the cost to replace the tire unless it can be shown that the tire was defective.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #7
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m235i View Post
Take a picture of the minor imperfection in the road and show it to the dealer. If you can convince the dealer that the imperfection in the road should not have caused the damage to your car but the damage was because of a "defect" in the components that were damaged. You maybe able to get the dealer to cover it. It is similar to blowing a tire when going over a pothole, the dealer will not cover the cost to replace the tire unless it can be shown that the tire was defective.
Thanks, this is a good idea. It was so minor that there is no way it caused this kind of damage.

RETIRED:
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 06:43 PM   #8
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Wow, how did the strut mount bearings get damaged?
I'd do think if your on 19's with 40psi and your hard on the brakes going over an abrupt defect, you can do damage but I'm surprised the top of the tower was damaged as described.
Who installed the 19's and were there any alignment changes done?
I just had a local tire shop do the install, but an alignment was done after the rims were installed.
The car was in an accident in which I was hit from behind while on the brakes and the wheels slightly turned. Do you think it is possible that this weakened or damaged theses components. I have probably put 3k on the car since I got it back from the accident.
It just seems like if both sides are damaged this was not caused by an impact.

RETIRED:
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

mmmmm235i what work was done on the rear impact ? Just trying to get a feel for severity of hit.

I don't have the knowledge to know about the collision causing the strut damage, but I'm certain a SHOP FOREMAN at the BMW dealership could give you guidance ?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #10
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
I just had a local tire shop do the install, but an alignment was done after the rims were installed.
The car was in an accident in which I was hit from behind while on the brakes and the wheels slightly turned. Do you think it is possible that this weakened or damaged theses components. I have probably put 3k on the car since I got it back from the accident.
It just seems like if both sides are damaged this was not caused by an impact.
I'd bet it's from the hit, no way from the road. It would take some serious force, ie a 2 ton vehicle hitting you at 15 to 20 mph to cause this.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #11
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would play the situation honestly. It's your decision, but I really hope you don't fraudulently represent the incident.

I've had incidents that were "borderline" warranty issues with other cars and found that a straightforward, honest approach works best. Dealers have latitude on what they can warranty and the ability to fight for you with BMW should the need arise. Gain their respect and good things happen. It always has for me.
      03-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #12
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
mmmmm235i what work was done on the rear impact ? Just trying to get a feel for severity of hit.

I don't have the knowledge to know about the collision causing the strut damage, but I'm certain a SHOP FOREMAN at the BMW dealership could give you guidance ?
The hit was pretty severe. I was hit at about 50mph right at the rear wheel. The quarter panel and control arm were completely destroyed. Given the severity of the impact I was surprised at how little damage was done. At least these cars are safe.

RETIRED:
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:18 PM   #13
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUE02 View Post
I would play the situation honestly. It's your decision, but I really hope you don't fraudulently represent the incident.

I've had incidents that were "borderline" warranty issues with other cars and found that a straightforward, honest approach works best. Dealers have latitude on what they can warranty and the ability to fight for you with BMW should the need arise. Gain their respect and good things happen. It always has for me.
I'm in no way trying to fraudulently represent the incident. Like I said I understand the idea that BMW cannot be fixing everyones damage that is the result of poor road conditions. In this case there is no possible way that the road debris caused the same damage to both sides of the suspension. Also there is only noise from one side which suggests both components were/are about to give out. I have generally had good experiences with my dealerships, but this morning was not a good one and I was fed a ton of nonsense from the service advisor and got very little service. I already saved myself $225 in a diagnostic fee , something my mechanic (who I didn't buy a 50k dollar car from) was able to do for free in 20 minutes.
Also for BMW to suggest that the wheels caused the problem when the car can be ordered with 19s is nonsense to me.

RETIRED:
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:30 PM   #14
mike@tpc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white M235i

I would go through your insurance and the body shop that did the accident repair. Its probably residual damage that didn't surface until now.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:38 PM   #15
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
The hit was pretty severe. I was hit at about 50mph right at the rear wheel. The quarter panel and control arm were completely destroyed. Given the severity of the impact I was surprised at how little damage was done. At least these cars are safe.
Was your car at auto-nation in Orlando?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:43 PM   #16
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@tpc View Post
I would go through your insurance and the body shop that did the accident repair. Its probably residual damage that didn't surface until now.
The car was repaired at a BMW dealership collision center. Do you really think its possible that this is residual damage. I don't question your knowledge, I just do not have enough familiarity with cars and accidents to know if that is something that could happen.

RETIRED:
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #17
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
Was your car at auto-nation in Orlando?
No I live down in Miami.

RETIRED:
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 09:10 AM   #18
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Try another dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #19
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@tpc View Post
^^Agree. I would start here. I've never heard of anyone breaking the suspension like that from a small pothole. Seems like the wheels would have broken first.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #20
mike@tpc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white M235i

I'm not an expert either, just seems like a lot of damage from a pot hole. Also, this close to getting the car back from collision repair, it seems plausible that it could be accident damage that they didn't see originally.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 04:53 PM   #21
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I live in Idaho and a co-worker bent a rim on a pot hole. He contacted a state department and they paid for his damage. They even paid for a front end alignment. If Idaho has this program I am sure other states have something similar.
      03-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #22
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
^^Agree. I would start here. I've never heard of anyone breaking the suspension like that from a small pothole. Seems like the wheels would have broken first.
The cost of the repair is not worth going through insurance, otherwise I would. Thats what I said to the dealer, wouldn't the tire or wheel absorb the damage. The SA pretty much told me the suspension is designed to break before the wheel, which is when I told him to get my car I"m leaving

RETIRED:
Appreciate 0