F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > HU-CIC and bluetooth streaming album art
ARMA SPEED

03-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

HU-CIC and bluetooth streaming album art

Apologies for crossposting this from the 5 board, but I think this section gets more traffic, and I'm really curious to find the answer to this...

After a brief stint with a 428i with HU-NBT, I am now in a 640i with a HU-CIC.

While I can live with most of the last-gen stuff, I am a bit disappointed that BT streaming integration seems very poor - no album art, doesn't see titles of next tracks in the playlist, etc.

Is there any way, other than a NBT retrofit, to achieve this via BT streaming (i.e. get album art and proper playlist support)? I see that album art is displayed when playing music from the USB stick plugged into the USB port in the armrest.

I have upgraded the telematics software to the latest version available on bmw.com/update (UPD01008), but my I-Step is the same one the car left the factory with (F010-11-09-504). I am having this updated at the dealer on Wednesday, will this make any difference?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 09:04 PM   #2
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDO View Post
Apologies for crossposting this from the 5 board, but I think this section gets more traffic, and I'm really curious to find the answer to this...

While I can live with most of the last-gen stuff, I am a bit disappointed that BT streaming integration seems very poor - no album art, doesn't see titles of next tracks in the playlist, etc.

Is there any way, other than a NBT retrofit, to achieve this via BT streaming (i.e. get album art and proper playlist support)? I see that album art is displayed when playing music from the USB stick plugged into the USB port in the armrest.

I have upgraded the telematics software to the latest version available on bmw.com/update (UPD01008), but my I-Step is the same one the car left the factory with (F010-11-09-504). I am having this updated at the dealer on Wednesday, will this make any difference?
are you using an android phone?
i have nbt and with android it will not stream album art or next and previous song info - it is a limitation on androids end.
works fine with applie products
IIRC iphone streams album arts to cic and nbt
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 12:38 AM   #3
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDO View Post

are you using an android phone?
i have nbt and with android it will not stream album art or next and previous song info - it is a limitation on androids end.
works fine with applie products
IIRC iphone streams album arts to cic and nbt
Nope, using Iphone, currently Iphone 6 plus with the iOS 8.2. It worked perfectly on NBT, but doesn't work on CIC.

Anything I need to do coding wise to enable it perhaps?

Can anyone verify that album art and playlist info works on CIC over BT streaming?

Last edited by BDO; 03-15-2015 at 02:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 07:13 AM   #4
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 (E89) sDrive 35is

I am afraid it's just not supported on CIC. Nothing you can do about, really. Other than replacing CIC, which is costly.

As an alternative - get a good car phone holder so you can see and use the music on your phone directly.

Probably the easiest and cheapest solution would be to connect your phone via USB or iPhone snap in adapter. Fully integrated into CIC, works perfectly fine. Better sound quality, too.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 08:10 AM   #5
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi
I am afraid it's just not supported on CIC. Nothing you can do about, really. Other than replacing CIC, which is costly.

As an alternative - get a good car phone holder so you can see and use the music on your phone directly.

Probably the easiest and cheapest solution would be to connect your phone via USB or iPhone snap in adapter. Fully integrated into CIC, works perfectly fine. Better sound quality, too.
Thanks dude - I was afraid this is the case. I guess USB is a good compromise, it will also stop me from the idiotic habit of texting and reading forums while driving.
Appreciate 0