F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Heated steering wheel question?
ARMA SPEED

03-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
Dconlan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xdrive

Garage List
Heated steering wheel question?

A week ago, it was around -5 degrees here, I pressed the button on the side of the steering column for the heat and the dash showed "steering wheel heat active". After about 10 minutes or so I realized the wheel was still ice cold, I pressed the button a couple more times and each time the dash would display "....activated" then "...inactivated" with each press of the button, still no heat. I stopped to get gas, and looked at the button as I pressed it, the orange LED on the switch was never coming on even when the dash would say "active". This went on for a few days and I noticed the wheel not getting warm in the past, but never looked at the LED. I took a short video of this and sent it to the dealer, I made an appointment but when it warmed up here to about 35 degrees the heat and LED started working again, needless to say the dealer said they can't fix it if it's now working!!! Any body else had this scenario with the LED not lighting up, and what was the resolution? (I am so sick of intermittent issues with this car!)

Last edited by Dconlan; 03-12-2015 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: Change title
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #2
Dconlan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No one else has had tis problem?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #3
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

My wheel works, but i never noticed a message on my dash to say the heat was active...gotta check this
      03-16-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
1987E30M3
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 & 325ic-F30 335i Xdrive

yeah I have no message, the only way I know its on is the little light on the side of the button and the warm feeling.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #5
Alamat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi Sport Line

Mine don't have the dash message either but I think a software upgrade does that.
Not had issues yet with it not working properly and we've had -9 here.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 01:00 PM   #6
overkill1125
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Need software update from dealer to get the message. One of the new features you get with the latest update
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

The message comes with a software upgrade. Sounds like a problem with the heating system. I've never had mine not heat up.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #8
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusivo View Post
My wheel works, but i never noticed a message on my dash to say the heat was active...gotta check this
Quote:
Originally Posted by overkill1125 View Post
Need software update from dealer to get the message. One of the new features you get with the latest update
What overkill1125 said is correct Michael, but the latest update blocks coding so avoid it.

This notification was actually available two or three versions ago, so not only available with the "latest" update, technically.
      12-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #9
DrPeppero
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dconlan View Post
No one else has had tis problem?
Apologies for necroing. But I appear to be having the same issue. Did anyone ever find a solution for this?

Press the button and I get the dash notification that its been toggled, but the LED doesn't come on sometimes, and no heat when the light isn't on. Seems like it stops working when it's coldest too.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 09:18 AM   #10
xxfinity
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPeppero View Post
Apologies for necroing. But I appear to be having the same issue. Did anyone ever find a solution for this?

Press the button and I get the dash notification that its been toggled, but the LED doesn't come on sometimes, and no heat when the light isn't on. Seems like it stops working when it's coldest too.
I got the exact same message as you. It actually ended up being the "Electronic steering wheel module" that is in the steering wheel. This module is a small black box located inside the wheel that is the unit that actually powers and controls the heated steering wheel functionality on the wheel.

When you push the button, it tells the steering column switch cluster module (that is located right behind the steering wheel, inside the steering wheel column, what the indicators are connected to) that you requested the heated wheel to be on, which tells the front electronics module that you turned on the heated steering wheel. This tells the instrument cluster to give the notification that the heated steering wheel has been activated.

Then either the front electronics module or the steering column switch cluster module (couldn't figure out exactly which one) will tell the Electronic steering wheel module to turn on the heated steering wheel - sending power (PWM controlled with temperature sensor in the wheel) to the heating element.

Reviewing the schematics, the Electronic steering wheel module has a constant power source going to it (the controller inside of it will modulate the power to the heating element). This comes directly from the steering column switch cluster module. So as long as your indicators are all working, the Electronic steering wheel module should be getting power. Hence, there shouldn't be any issues with it receiving 12V power. Mentioning this cause I saw some posts of people suggesting to check the fuse for the heated wheel. There is no individual fuse for this module.

I'd recommend that you take the wheel apart, and check that the heating element is not broken. You can do this with a multi-meter and check for continuity on the heating element of the wheel. Then also check the temperature sensor to make sure that is OK. The temperature sensor is a resistive sensor (resistance of circuit changes with temperature). So you can check that by making sure that you can measure a resistance through it. There should be about 30 ohms of resistance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 11:37 AM   #11
GrabacrOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfinity View Post
I got the exact same message as you. It actually ended up being the "Electronic steering wheel module" that is in the steering wheel. This module is a small black box located inside the wheel that is the unit that actually powers and controls the heated steering wheel functionality on the wheel.

When you push the button, it tells the steering column switch cluster module (that is located right behind the steering wheel, inside the steering wheel column, what the indicators are connected to) that you requested the heated wheel to be on, which tells the front electronics module that you turned on the heated steering wheel. This tells the instrument cluster to give the notification that the heated steering wheel has been activated.

Then either the front electronics module or the steering column switch cluster module (couldn't figure out exactly which one) will tell the Electronic steering wheel module to turn on the heated steering wheel - sending power (PWM controlled with temperature sensor in the wheel) to the heating element.

Reviewing the schematics, the Electronic steering wheel module has a constant power source going to it (the controller inside of it will modulate the power to the heating element). This comes directly from the steering column switch cluster module. So as long as your indicators are all working, the Electronic steering wheel module should be getting power. Hence, there shouldn't be any issues with it receiving 12V power. Mentioning this cause I saw some posts of people suggesting to check the fuse for the heated wheel. There is no individual fuse for this module.

I'd recommend that you take the wheel apart, and check that the heating element is not broken. You can do this with a multi-meter and check for continuity on the heating element of the wheel. Then also check the temperature sensor to make sure that is OK. The temperature sensor is a resistive sensor (resistance of circuit changes with temperature). So you can check that by making sure that you can measure a resistance through it. There should be about 30 ohms of resistance.
Sorry to jack the thread but I'm actually facing a similar problem. I'm trying to retrofit a heated steering wheel in my car but I can't get it to heat up. I've coded the necessary modules and the switch works/cluster shows heated steering wheel activated but no heat on the wheel. I'm getting the error code C9AC09: FEHLER_STATUS_KONTAKT_NTC_LENKRADHEIZUNG_LIN: TEMPERATURE SENSOR INTERRUPTED. It seems that the resistive temperature sensor is having an issue. I measured continuity over the heating element on the steering wheel and the circuit appears continuous. But the temperature circuit doesn't give me any resistance and the continuity check fails so I think the sensor is gone.

The steering wheel electronics module is brand new and the other functions, such as the steering wheel controls, the paddles, and the lane departure vibration function so I do not think the issue is in the module. Looks like the steering wheel is no good?
Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #578262 as a referral.

F10 535i M-Sport | Gone but not forgotten: G01 X3 xDrive30i M-Sport; F15 X5 xDrive35i; E70 X5 4.8i
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 12:25 PM   #12
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

You’d be much better off starting your own thread instead of hoping someone rereads this one.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 09:50 AM   #13
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Searching for a steering wheel heating issue, I thought I was about to resurrect a thread from 2015, but glad to see that it has been resurrected already last month.

This morning, after yesterday's heavy snowfall and some of the lowest temps we've seen of the season, my steering heating unit did not work for the first time in 8 years this morning. Thanks xxfinity for your post. I am going to check out that part. I wonder if it will start working again when its a little warmer like it did for OP (although this has never been an issue in prior winters)? BTW, both the led and the dashboard notification lit up when I pressed the button.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 05:38 PM   #14
Dconlan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Fixed mine by getting rid of the 3 series!

I never got any resolution to the problem along with numerous other electronic glitches with that 3 series. I had it back to my BMW Dealership 12 separate times for camera malfunctioning, collision warning malfunctioning and a bunch of other intermittent bugs. After a long year of ownership I traded it in.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 09:56 PM   #15
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

To update my previous post - as I suspected, the steering heater started working on its own on my evening commute home and it has been working fine since then. I guess it was just those one-off quirks that fix themselves...

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 04:37 AM   #16
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
It's possible this is a result of load shedding. A heated steering wheel is probably very low in priority for loads that need to be supported so it might be one of the first to be shed if the battery is too low/too cold to accept charge etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 02:28 PM   #17
xxfinity
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfinity View Post

Few things I need to correct in this post. Don't want to spread misinformation. The 30 ohms of resistance is actually for the heating element. I also wasn't able to get a reading from my temperature sensor. Resistance values are likely very low.

Just a bit more details on my experience with this issue. After some troubleshooting, I believe the LED on the steering column is actually the feedback LED - when the heating element is actually ON it is ON. BMW don't actually include any details regarding the exact function of this button and the pre-conditions for its illumination unfortunately.

I came to this conclusion because I was troubleshooting my wheel which had this problem. Luckily, I also had a spare wheel that I knew was working (don't ask me why I have 2 wheels... LOL). Both wheels checked out with respect to resistance and continuity measurements for the temperature sensor and heating element. However, with my original wheel, I got this issue. But when I replaced it with the known working wheel, the wheel heated up fine (the LED on the button remained on).

While I was troubleshooting and took the broken wheel on and off, there were times where it did started to work (after a few removals and reinstallations). When it did work/heated, the LED on the button did light up. However, it stopped working soon after and the LED stopped lighting up.

I suspect it is still likely the temperature sensor that failed. I guess I could find myself a 12V power supply and test to see if the heat element on the broken wheel is still working lol. I suspect it would...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 05:00 AM   #18
mrberry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 630i

my cousin had this issue and it was solved by changing a setting on the climate control pane and then setting it back to normal using bimmercode. the ambient light setting was what he changed.

so i would use bimmercode or if you have esys try recoding the climate panel. this might seem weird but on his car i personally stripped back the steering wheel with him as well as the steering wheel button thinking something was wrong there and they were all fine. the light would show on like your but it wouldn't get warm. this solved it so assuming its one of those quirky problems
Appreciate 0