Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

03-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #1
mtecnic
BMW Super Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: F10 535ixDrive, E39 M5

Turbo's / Warm up / Cool down?

I remember back in the day (think 90's turbo cars), people used to talk about letting turbos warm up/cool down proper to increase lifespan and reliability.

Is there anything with that on todays stuff, specifically for the F8x?
'94 325ix - Parted *** '92 318i vert - sold
'94 325i - Rear End Total ***** '01 330ci - traded
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 03:18 PM   #2
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

We have electronics to manage all this now. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 MW/SO 6MT, E46 M3 AW/IR 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
M4 is engineered too precise to worry about that. The vehicle can even increase or decrease turbo pressure based off altitude and weather. You have nothing to worry about but keeping the tires glued to the asphalt
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
Brady1984
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Most 90s cars used oil cooled turbos. A turbo timer let oil circulate through the body of the turbo at idle and prevented coking in the bearings and body of the turbo. BMW uses water cooled turbos and and electric water pumps. That allows the car to pump cool water through the turbos after you turn off the car. ppl way smarter than me are about to chime in but suffice it to say our cars are better able to deal with the heat but I still idle it after a hard run for a couple of minutes just to get my heart rate back down
      03-11-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I read that with our cars you should not warm up in the cold like an N/A engine. Just get in turn on and adjust settings and seat belt and go. I certainly hope this is true, because this is how I do it. Also, coming off a spirited run you should slow it down for the last mile or so home. Efficient, comfort comfort.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 07:20 AM   #6
voodoogeek
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 moonstone

Garage List
2014 F82 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady1984 View Post
Most 90s cars used oil cooled turbos. A turbo timer let oil circulate through the body of the turbo at idle and prevented coking in the bearings and body of the turbo. BMW uses water cooled turbos and and electric water pumps. That allows the car to pump cool water through the turbos after you turn off the car. ppl way smarter than me are about to chime in but suffice it to say our cars are better able to deal with the heat but I still idle it after a hard run for a couple of minutes just to get my heart rate back down
this is what I've heard, too and it's what I'm doing. after a sporty drive, I give the car some 30s to cool down with engine ON, however on the last mile, I drive it in fully-efficient/soft mode anyway in order to give the engine "a break" and help it cool down.
also, remember, the turbos in SPORT or SPORT+ mode are "pre-spun". I imagine that this also increases wear of material? nevertheless, that's the reason I put the engine to "efficient" after a spirited drive.

warming up not necessary, thoug - that's something I've never heard. I surely make sure that the engine is properly warmed up (i.e. oil temperature gauge starting to "move" and all yellow LED rev limiter lights are turned off except for the last one before the red). that's when she is ready for the ride
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2015, 07:23 AM   #7
castilla
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoogeek View Post
this is what I've heard, too and it's what I'm doing. after a sporty drive, I give the car some 30s to cool down with engine ON, however on the last mile, I drive it in fully-efficient/soft mode anyway in order to give the engine "a break" and help it cool down.
also, remember, the turbos in SPORT or SPORT+ mode are "pre-spun". I imagine that this also increases wear of material? nevertheless, that's the reason I put the engine to "efficient" after a spirited drive.

warming up not necessary, thoug - that's something I've never heard. I surely make sure that the engine is properly warmed up (i.e. oil temperature gauge starting to "move" and all yellow LED rev limiter lights are turned off except for the last one before the red). that's when she is ready for the ride
That turbo spooling thing its only active in sport plus mode.Not in sport mode
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by castilla View Post
That turbo spooling thing its only active in sport plus mode.Not in sport mode
Pre-tensioning of the turbo is active in both Sport and Sport+ modes.

From the S55 Deep Dive & Interview:
Quote:
In the SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes, the waste gates remain closed under partial load and the mass flow is routed through the turbines, to ensure that the turbo chargers are already rotating at a higher base speed even in standby. Moreover, certain special engine control functions are brought into play that accelerate activation of the turbo chargers. This means that the car responds more closely to the accelerator in SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0