E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede LPFP upgrade- can someone tell me what it should look like in the tank?

03-06-2015, 08:18 AM   #1
tampaturbom3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6 Coupe

Procede LPFP upgrade- can someone tell me what it should look like in the tank?

I have the Procede Flex Fuel kit with the LPFP upgrade. I have the written instructions but I can't find a DIY, video or pictures of the orientation in the tank. The kit came with a large clamp and a small clamp, obviously the large clamp goes around the stock plastic fuel bucket, and it would go opposite of the float arm. So i'm assuming the small clamp goes around the metal body of the pump and attaches to the large clamp (perpendicular to each other). So in the end, the new booster pump would lay flat, or perpendicular to the stock pump/bucket... correct?

My car doesn't throw codes with mostly 93 in the tank, but when i put too much e85 and get close to e35-e40ish, I'll get P29E0 and P29E1, so I'm assuming it's saying there's not enough fuel flow. Ironically, these codes always pop up when I'm just cruising at a slow speed with no demand on the motor.... when driving aggressively, they don't pop up. I'm hoping/assuming that with the booster pump, these codes will go away all together. Anyone have experience or similar issues?
thank you,
      03-06-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

I'd lean more towards it being a fuel scalar issue, the flex fuel conversion requires a DME flash from Shiv right? IE you aren't just running a piggyback right now, correct?

Those mixture codes are usually a matter of tuning, not hardware. Either way log LPFP PSI , trims, all the normal fuel channels and that'll help narrow it down.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:21 PM   #3
tampaturbom3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I did successfully install the pump and based on the logs, it appears that i'm flowing much more fuel (i did a separate thread about this and questions about it). I'm still getting SES light with P29E0 and P29E1, but i have an exhaust leak where the DPs connect to the rest of the exhaust,,, so i'm going to check the gasket and tighten the bolts hoping that the codes go away.
135 Pats- i have the Rev3 piggy, but it's on Map "0" and have the OpenFlash tablet currently running the e40 map. and i'm usning the OpenFlash to do my logs.
      03-18-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Those are mixture codes, plain and simple. 90+% of the time, mixture codes arise from fuel scalars that are not set strong enough. The fact that you are running an OTS flash for "E40" doesn't remove that as the likely culprit.

The exhaust leak is a different matter, though obviously good to fix it. If the leak is aft of the widebands, your car doesn't really care one way or the other. At that point it's just gas that isn't monitored.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
tampaturbom3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

i wish i knew how to go into the maps for the OFT and know how to adjust things.. and how to know what to adjust... i'm assuming i would save the e40 flash, for example, as a file like "e40 flash mod" and then open it in Tuner Pro and look for something called "Fuel Scalar" and start bumping up numbers? how do i know when i've done it enough?
      03-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #6
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaturbom3 View Post
i wish i knew how to go into the maps for the OFT and know how to adjust things.. and how to know what to adjust... i'm assuming i would save the e40 flash, for example, as a file like "e40 flash mod" and then open it in Tuner Pro and look for something called "Fuel Scalar" and start bumping up numbers? how do i know when i've done it enough?
I don't spend time in Tunerpro, my amateur experience has been with Cobb and more recently, some of the JB4 stuff. But the basic process would be similar in TunerPro relative to Access Tuner.

You'd load up your map (which i'd imagine you would push onto your computer from the OFT), open it in TunerPro, then identify the bank 1 and bank 2 scalars. It is critical that you modify both banks identically, or you could end up in some trouble. In ATR those tables are under the main fuel tables.

If you search "Cobb ATR fuel scalar", there's a nice conversion chart with some basic suggestions. It cross-references ethanol % against the scalar value you should be targeting. Bump up scalar values across the board.

Before I added port fuel, my car always wanted a stronger scalar than was "normal". Just had to tweak it a bit, IIRC my E50 map had a scalar set for more like E65 or so. Don't be afraid to set it strong, if the DME has to pull out some fuel trim, that's not the end of the world by any means. Would much rather you go a bit rich than lean in terms of tuning and testing out new things.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
tampaturbom3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

i'm in the habit of clearing those codes with my OFT when the pop up because the SES light annoys me. Yesterday i didn't clear them because i'm taking my car in for HR spring installation later today and figured i would clear them right before dropping off the car so the shop wouldn't think there was an issue they needed to work on.... anyway, the light went out on it's on while i was just driving.... that seems odd
      03-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #8
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaturbom3 View Post
i'm in the habit of clearing those codes with my OFT when the pop up because the SES light annoys me. Yesterday i didn't clear them because i'm taking my car in for HR spring installation later today and figured i would clear them right before dropping off the car so the shop wouldn't think there was an issue they needed to work on.... anyway, the light went out on it's on while i was just driving.... that seems odd
Mixture codes are usually intermittent, they don't appear always and usually show up under light load (just cruising around).

This is a fuel scalar issue. It's fairly easy to fix. I'm not sure what else there is to tell you at this point; strengthen the scalar and you should be just fine.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0