F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > HiFi Amp Upgrade to JL xd600/6
Extreme Powerhouse

02-28-2015, 08:43 PM   #1
davegill
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 428xi Coupe

HiFi Amp Upgrade to JL xd600/6

So I got my f32 6 months ago and I was never happy with the lack of bass and overall lack of loudness from the HiFi stereo.

I purchased a JL xd600/6 and a Technic harness (which is super helpful) and I hooked up the amp temporarily to see how it would sound. I used 4awg OFC cables, made sure my crossovers were set to 200hz highpass for the fronts and rears, and 200 hz lowpass for the underseats. Gains were also set to minimal for fronts/rears and at 9 o'clock for the underseats. I listened to about 3-4 different songs (hip hop, edm, rock) and I must say, I was rather underwhelmed.

Although the system is much louder, which is great, I really feel like lack of processing makes the sound worse in other ways. It may also just be because the OEM speakers are just THAT bad. The sound feels very flat. Thats the best way I can describe it.

I am now debating on whether my next step should be to replace the front components, or if I should invest in a dsp. Any suggestions from the audio guru's on here?

It got dark before I could play around with the crossovers to see if I could improve the sound at all, but I will find out more tomorrow when I mount the amp properly, and in a week when I hook up a subwoofer.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 11:58 PM   #2
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegill
So I got my f32 6 months ago and I was never happy with the lack of bass and overall lack of loudness from the HiFi stereo.

I purchased a JL xd600/6 and a Technic harness (which is super helpful) and I hooked up the amp temporarily to see how it would sound. I used 4awg OFC cables, made sure my crossovers were set to 200hz highpass for the fronts and rears, and 200 hz lowpass for the underseats. Gains were also set to minimal for fronts/rears and at 9 o'clock for the underseats. I listened to about 3-4 different songs (hip hop, edm, rock) and I must say, I was rather underwhelmed.

Although the system is much louder, which is great, I really feel like lack of processing makes the sound worse in other ways. It may also just be because the OEM speakers are just THAT bad. The sound feels very flat. Thats the best way I can describe it.

I am now debating on whether my next step should be to replace the front components, or if I should invest in a dsp. Any suggestions from the audio guru's on here?

It got dark before I could play around with the crossovers to see if I could improve the sound at all, but I will find out more tomorrow when I mount the amp properly, and in a week when I hook up a subwoofer.
Get match 82pp dsp, all in one great unit
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
tclardy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

i upgraded my speakers to the bavsounds and the same amp and to me it sounds way better than stock. I have never used a dap unit so maybe I don't know what I am missing out on. I am going to add a powered sub in the trunk, the underseat woofers sound better with more power but are lacking on the bottom end.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #4
xijonix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 3 Series xDrive

I would recommend a DSP if your overwhelmed with the audio reproduction as a DSP can really make the stock HIFI speakers sound good.

BMW E90 LCI
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #5
davegill
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xijonix View Post
I would recommend a DSP if your overwhelmed with the audio reproduction as a DSP can really make the stock HIFI speakers sound good.
What happened to your original reply? lol

I hooked up an old alpine type-s subwoofer I had laying around, and I cranked the treble on the head-unit all the way up, and I'm liking the sound a lot better now. It's still not where I want it though.

I am considering a DSP now. They're just so damn expensive. I would get an ms-8 but I am on the phone alot when in my car, and I really don't want to deal with the echo issue. I'm hoping to find a helix pp82dsp, or a helix DSP on craigslist/ebay. I may try new front components first. Maybe the helix match bmw set (not sure if it fits the f32, still need to do my research).

What kind of equalizer are you running?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #6
xijonix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 3 Series xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegill
Quote:
What happened to your original reply? lol

I hooked up an old alpine type-s subwoofer I had laying around, and I cranked the treble on the head-unit all the way up, and I'm liking the sound a lot better now. It's still not where I want it though.

I am considering a DSP now. They're just so damn expensive. I would get an ms-8 but I am on the phone alot when in my car, and I really don't want to deal with the echo issue. I'm hoping to find a helix pp82dsp, or a helix DSP on craigslist/ebay. I may try new front components first. Maybe the helix match bmw set (not sure if it fits the f32, still need to do my research).

What kind of equalizer are you running?
Haha so sorry I just got a new amplifier in and things have shaped up to be a million times better. I got an Alpine PDR-V75 and it's much clearer than the JL Audio in my option a wider image of sound, also it is really clean with the stock speakers and I get a really good amount of good bass as I'm able to set the subsonic filter around 30Hz on the amp to clean the response up with the underseat woofers. Also the subwoofer output on the amp has a option to boost 50Hz up to 12dB which set to 6dB gives an awesome amount of bass not overwhelming but everything blends well way more low end then stock my bass is at 0 compared to +10 on the head unit for the type of music I was listening to. Crossovers all set around 175Hz. So because of this amplifier I installed today I removed the equalizer I was running with first the JL audio xd amp then Rockford punch amp, as I'm more then content for now with the sound stage from the Alpine. My next option is to upgrade the front component speakers and a DSP is the last for me right now.

Though I was using a RFT-BTL to convert the balanced output to unbalanced used it with a Clarion EQS746 Equalizer, a pretty good quality equalizer I must say, especially for the price point for my previous amps I just tweaked it and left it in the trunk with it you can get your desire frequency response out of your system by boosting what you please and reducing what's overbearing.

Talking to technic I had got the recommendation for the H800 from alpine as a DSP that seems to be the best in terms of audio quality reliability and works best with a center channel out of the helix and ms-8.

Mainly answer me this though, what's the most underwhelming part of your amplifier drop in upgrade? What part of the sound produced that isn't up to or exceeding expectations? Is it the clarity, a highs mids or bass issues? Or an overall blend of everything?

In terms of the Helix Match speakers it may be a hit or a miss the vehicle has a mounting depth from what I gathered of 30mm you can achieve higher by using an adapter to compensate so if you need to fit a 50mm there use an adapter plate of 20mm in thickness. Some say it does cause the door to bulge in that area a bit but not really noticeable. I don't know how deep the Helix Match component speakers are they seem fairly shallow as I believe they use a neodymium magnet so if anything not much of a spacer would be needed if it is about 30mm then just a drop in. Main thing sourcing info on its depth. Some say also what fits in the E92/3 would work with some spacer development, so they do claim they should work for the E92 so I think you'll be good with them and if anything not much of a thick spacer would be need. Note your mounting depth I believe is 30mm mounted right to the sheet metal.

Edit:
Check this out:
Addiction - Once you start down the path of audio upgrades, it is really hard to stop http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1080104
Claims from doing the Helix DSP he was able to do wonders with the stock speakers. For you, this might be your number one priority especially for what your unimpressed with.

BMW E90 LCI
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #7
davegill
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Haha so sorry I just got a new amplifier in and things have shaped up to be a million times better. I got an Alpine PDR-V75 and it's much clearer than the JL Audio in my option a wider image of sound, also it is really clean with the stock speakers and I get a really good amount of good bass as I'm able to set the subsonic filter around 30Hz on the amp to clean the response up with the underseat woofers. Also the subwoofer output on the amp has a option to boost 50Hz up to 12dB which set to 6dB gives an awesome amount of bass not overwhelming but everything blends well way more low end then stock my bass is at 0 compared to +10 on the head unit for the type of music I was listening to. Crossovers all set around 175Hz. So because of this amplifier I installed today I removed the equalizer I was running with first the JL audio xd amp then Rockford punch amp, as I'm more then content for now with the sound stage from the Alpine. My next option is to upgrade the front component speakers and a DSP is the last for me right now.

Though I was using a RFT-BTL to convert the balanced output to unbalanced used it with a Clarion EQS746 Equalizer, a pretty good quality equalizer I must say, especially for the price point for my previous amps I just tweaked it and left it in the trunk with it you can get your desire frequency response out of your system by boosting what you please and reducing what's overbearing.

Talking to technic I had got the recommendation for the H800 from alpine as a DSP that seems to be the best in terms of audio quality reliability and works best with a center channel out of the helix and ms-8.

Mainly answer me this though, what's the most underwhelming part of your amplifier drop in upgrade? What part of the sound produced that isn't up to or exceeding expectations? Is it the clarity, a highs mids or bass issues? Or an overall blend of everything?

In terms of the Helix Match speakers it may be a hit or a miss the vehicle has a mounting depth from what I gathered of 30mm you can achieve higher by using an adapter to compensate so if you need to fit a 50mm there use an adapter plate of 20mm in thickness. Some say it does cause the door to bulge in that area a bit but not really noticeable. I don't know how deep the Helix Match component speakers are they seem fairly shallow as I believe they use a neodymium magnet so if anything not much of a spacer would be needed if it is about 30mm then just a drop in. Main thing sourcing info on its depth. Some say also what fits in the E92/3 would work with some spacer development, so they do claim they should work for the E92 so I think you'll be good with them and if anything not much of a thick spacer would be need. Note your mounting depth I believe is 30mm mounted right to the sheet metal.

Edit:
Check this out:
Addiction - Once you start down the path of audio upgrades, it is really hard to stop http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1080104
Claims from doing the Helix DSP he was able to do wonders with the stock speakers. For you, this might be your number one priority especially for what your unimpressed with.
I wasn't aware the PDR series accepted balanced inputs. I'm glad it worked out for you though.

I think for me, what was really missing was the sub-bass frequencies and I really feel like the highs were lacking. Like you with your previous amp, I felt like the mid's were overpowering the rest. After adding a sub, and cranking the treble up all the way (not sure why I didn't do this the first day I hooked my amp up), I'm a little more content, but like that thread says, it's hard to stop once you start.

My next step at the moment is to add high-pass filters to my underseats so they don't distort trying to produce sub-bass. After that, I think my next steps are gonna be replacing the front components, then perhaps add a DSP if I still feel its necessary, and then finally replace my current sub with a more SQ oriented sub.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
Gingerkid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i Coupe

I have the HiFi system on my 435 and am getting the XD600/6 installed Monday. I've already got a 10" JL sub powered by an Alpine 500w amp, but the factory powered mids/highs are just not up to my liking. I'm really hoping the shop is able to tune the XD600/6 and be happy happy. I just don't know until it's done.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
Gingerkid
Private First Class
Rep

Well, the shop sat with me in car to assess my wants/needs and suggested I go with the Audison Prima 8.9 bit. It was double the price, but I'm really pleased with the tuning they performed and EQ adjustments made to suit my listening.

Admittedly, I don't understand all the complexities but the underseat subs are now band passed allowing them to play mid/low, with the lowest frequencies going to the JL 10" sub, all speakers are time aligned, EQ adjusted to my liking, happy happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerkid View Post
I have the HiFi system on my 435 and am getting the XD600/6 installed Monday. I've already got a 10" JL sub powered by an Alpine 500w amp, but the factory powered mids/highs are just not up to my liking. I'm really hoping the shop is able to tune the XD600/6 and be happy happy. I just don't know until it's done.

Last edited by Gingerkid; 06-24-2015 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Are you happy with the output volume level of the Audison Prima 8.9 bit? I found it lacking for the $1000 MSRP and stated output power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerkid View Post
Well, the shop sat with me in car to assess my wants/needs and suggested I go with the Audison Prima 8.9 bit. It was double the price, but I'm really pleased with the tuning they performed and EQ adjustments made to suit my listening.

Admittedly, I don't understand all the complexities but the underseat subs are now band passed allowing them to play mid/low, with the lowest frequencies going to the JL 10" sub, all speakers are time aligned, EQ adjusted to my liking, happy happy.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #11
Gingerkid
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Are you happy with the output volume level of the Audison Prima 8.9 bit? I found it lacking for the $1000 MSRP and stated output power.
Hi Technic... It is a pricey piece and the power numbers look small relative to the other options. Based on paper, the Helix unit looks like a better deal. With that said, my shop is a dealer and trained with the Audison units so that is the route I took.

I do find it adequate for my needs, but I really don't have much to compare it to. For me, roughly 80% volume is VERY LOUD tunes even with windows down and road noise. For other folks (like my wife) 50% may be too loud... everyone is different. I've tried to really crank it and have yet to get near 100%. The shop assures me it was tuned to go 100% without clipping or damage, so happy to hear that.

This is with factory Hi-Fi speakers. If I'm not mistaken the Audison is rated at 35/channel - so it is substantially lower rated compared with the JL Audio XD600/6 per channel.

The shop wired as follows:
Front components, channel 1&2
Rear mids, channel 3&4
Underseat subs, bridged channels 5/6&7/8
Alpine 500w amp and JL 10w3 sub, channel 9 (sub preout)

Center channel left out of the mix

Last edited by Gingerkid; 06-25-2015 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 04:55 AM   #12
fabcur
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31

Hi guys,

I know this subject has already been addressed and discussed extensively, but I’d like to have expert opinions from those of you who had hands-on experience.

I own a new MY 16 F31 with HiFi audio and I’m not really satisfied with SQ.

I listen to different kind of contemporary, rock and 80’s music.
I am looking for better quality (not power).

I am looking for a Plug and Play retrofit to improve my listening experience and I am considering one (and only one !) of the following:

- Bavsound Stage One speakers set
- Focal IFBMW-S speakers set
- JL XD600/6 or XD800/8 + technic harness
- Bimmertech amp
- Helix Match PP62DSP/PP82DSP

The question is: which of the above is the SINGLE best investment to improve my sound quality ?

Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2017, 05:04 PM   #13
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabcur View Post
Hi guys,

I know this subject has already been addressed and discussed extensively, but I’d like to have expert opinions from those of you who had hands-on experience.

I own a new MY 16 F31 with HiFi audio and I’m not really satisfied with SQ.

I listen to different kind of contemporary, rock and 80’s music.
I am looking for better quality (not power).

I am looking for a Plug and Play retrofit to improve my listening experience and I am considering one (and only one !) of the following:

- Bavsound Stage One speakers set
- Focal IFBMW-S speakers set
- JL XD600/6 or XD800/8 + technic harness
- Bimmertech amp
- Helix Match PP62DSP/PP82DSP

The question is: which of the above is the SINGLE best investment to improve my sound quality ?

Thanks for your input.
anyone??
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 09:32 PM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Probably the Bimmertech amp. It would be nice if someone came up with an add-on DSP that could be used with the stock amp, but AFAIK no one has.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 12:24 AM   #15
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Probably the Bimmertech amp. It would be nice if someone came up with an add-on DSP that could be used with the stock amp, but AFAIK no one has.

i thought the oem amp has built in dsp?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #16
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The Hi-Fi has built in EQ, but it's not adjustable. The H-K has adjustable EQ, but way too few frequency points to give the best result. Bimmertech/Helix have enough adjustment points, but they're only accessible via hooking up to a laptop, so they're not adjustable on the fly. Nothing is ideal, but it's a car, not a living room.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #17
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post

I remember someone saying you'd need the bimmertech programmed for the right hand side in the UK. Might be same for Helix.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 01:20 AM   #18
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On HI FI? No it does not have any dsp. The signals from the iDrive are flat (no eq). Which is good news for you as the HI FI is probably the easiest set up to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 01:29 AM   #19
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

ok i am stuck. which amp. planning to take it to as audio shop to do. want good quality sound without compromising any function in car.

bimmertech amp
jl xd 600/6 plus bit ten
audison prima 8.9
audison 4.9 plus audison 4 0
or helix v8 dsp

what would you choose to go with
1) oem speakers
2) uprated speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 07:57 AM   #20
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
On HI FI? No it does not have any dsp.
As I understand it EQ shaping takes place in the amp. The difference between Hi-Fi and H-K is that H-K has access to the EQ adjustment, Hi-Fi does not.
The problem with upgrading lies in the topology of the system. Traditionally the signal from the tuner to a separate amp was analog, so you could place a generic external analog EQ unit in between the two. With the BMW system the signal is digital. Technically a digital EQ could be configured to tap in between the tuner and amp, but since the only market for that unit would be the small percentage of BMW owners who wanted it no one has yet marketed one. Too bad, as the cost of DSP is now quite low. For example:
https://www.minidsp.com/products/min...ox/minidsp-2x4

Where that differs from what we need is that it has analog inputs and outputs. Since we don't need the analog to digital conversion on the inputs and digital to analog conversion on the outputs an add-on DSP for BMW in theory could be less expensive.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      07-28-2017, 10:41 AM   #21
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ok i am stuck. which amp. planning to take it to as audio shop to do. want good quality sound without compromising any function in car.

bimmertech amp
jl xd 600/6 plus bit ten
audison prima 8.9
audison 4.9 plus audison 4 0
or helix v8 dsp

what would you choose to go with
1) oem speakers
2) uprated speakers
Depends on your budget and system goals.

The JL and Audison will go well together but the Audison is difficult to tune. Some so called audio shops like audiofile haven't a clue on how to tune it and will set you up with a generic tune. So you need to do it yourself. Good news if you have the ears to tune your own music to your taste.

The Helix and Bimmertech are a good shout. Both are plug and play but can be tuned further if required. Out of the box they are decent and the software is friendly. You would need to find out if you can get the right hand side files.

Technic has put together some great systems without DSP. The JL amp will breathe new life into your speakers. So that may be enough for you. If you want more after that then you could look at new speakers.

The underseat subwoofer are a good place to start. Followed by the front tweeters. If you have the cash you could go for new mid ranges up front too.

I recommend going down the JL amp route and if you need more after that then make a decision - many are happy with the amp swap. If you want more bass then subs and tweeters. If you want more than that all three front speakers and DSP.

You don't need a DSP but if you have the budget then what the heck.

As Billfitz has mentioned many times, source material is crucial. There is no point playing low quality music and expecting it to sound great.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #22
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

thank you for the response.

what do you mean by rhs files? is the bimmertech tuned for lhs driver seat?
Appreciate 0