E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Strange electrical problems..some iDrive related

02-27-2015, 10:32 PM   #1
d151328
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2005 e90 330i

Strange electrical problems..some iDrive related

Hi all

OK, so over the last few days, my 330i has been the biggest pork chop.

I've read through some other posts and some have some of the issues i'm having and others have the others but never together! I will start from yesterday morning when this all began.

Left home in the morning and about 10 minutes into my trip the engine management light came up on the top of the dash. The iDrive and mini display on the dash had nothing to say about it though. The car ran fine and sounded normal so i just kept going. I stopped the car about 20 minutes later and came back about 5 mins later. I turned it on as normal and as soon as the car started, a load of warnings appeared on the dash and idrive but instantly disappeared as they cycled through on iDrive screen. these were

- DBC failure
- ABS
- Cruise control
- DSC

All orange, no red.

At the end of this, the lights vanished from the dash and iDrive and so did the check engine light. I turned the car off and back on and none of them came back so i kept on my way to work. After a full day at work i turned it back on and no lights or anything so went on my way home. The whole time not a problem.

THIS MORNING!

I got up to go the shops. The whole way there no problems. When i got back, disaster struck. The car turned on fine but i noticed that not a single chime came from the speakers as they normally would when starting the car. I looked at the iDrive and the screen was off. The controller didnt help it and the steering wheel buttons did nothing. I decided to deal with it when i got home.

On my way home, the screen came back on and set the volume to MAX and switched to the radio setting (which i havent used in months) and i could not turn it down or mute it from the button next to the cd player or the steering wheel so i pulled over and turned the car off. The sound cut out but the iDrive screen for some reason stayed on. I turned the car back on and iDrive restarted and let me use it like normal but no sound at all. It then froze entirely and would cut the stereo in and out and then just went blank.

As soon as the screen went blank, it started chiming quickly from the speakers like it was restarting the chime half way through it being played and did that on and off the whole way home.

Got home, turned it off and back on and the chiming started like normal when the ignition is on but not started, the idrive turned on and let me navigate through it and seemed fine. I went to entertainment and noticed that the CD option was blanked out which is strange as i have the navigation business CD drive under it and the stacker in the back and i was actually using it on the way to the shops. I tried to select it and nothing happened. I went to press the menu button and it froze up. Then the screen came up saying "Mobile phone not installed" which is also strange as the bluetooth has always worked in it. It shortly unfroze and i went to the bluetooth settings and the box was unchecked and wouldnt let me check it. Each time i tried it would take me to the mobile phone not installed screen.

anyway. i disconnected the battery for an hour or so and reconnected and now the iDrive is just frozen. It lets you use it for 5 seconds and freezes again until you take the key out and restart. The chiming noises cut in and out as it's playing the sound but any other sound at all is gone. so i dont know what the go is!

Electrical problem or just an iDrive problem?

I will note, i have the logic 7 sound system if that somehow helps .. .

Any advice on where to start with this would be greatly appreciated. I think the sound would have something to do with the amplifier, but then the bluetooth isnt working which isnt part of that. Then the check engine and other warnings yesterday too...

** Edit, I will make mention that the CD player under the iDrive unit now has no power going to it. CD wont eject!
Appreciate 0