E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Now that we have the power potential what's next...?

02-26-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
whosdady
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Now that we have the power potential what's next...?

I'm referring to the turbo options we have that are capable of 600+ tq/hp... My question is: What other supporting mods need to be done to get us there, support that power safely and make the best use of this new power?

These are some of my thoughts but I'm sure there are many more...

- LSD
- oil cooler
- upgraded lpfp
- larger inlets for twin turbos
- upgraded axles
- hpfp assistance
- upgraded driveshaft
- upgraded tranny
- 3.5 bar sensor
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 08:06 PM   #2
doe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 Bmw  [0.00]
LSD
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 08:44 PM   #3
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Everything but driveshaft imho. I would get the upgraded quibo instead.
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
whosdady
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976
Everything but driveshaft imho. I would get the upgraded quibo instead.
The metal guibo is a great idea if you don't plan on getting a driveshaft that removes the factory guibo.

Look what happen to this poor guy...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799428

Unfortunately he had to replace the driveshaft and LSD...

It's expensive but it does more than just transfer the increased power... It eliminates the hesitation/slingshot effect produced by the factory design...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #5
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdady View Post
The metal guibo is a great idea if you don't plan on getting a driveshaft that removes the factory guibo.

Look what happen to this poor guy...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799428

Unfortunately he had to replace the driveshaft and LSD...

It's expensive but it does more than just transfer the increased power... It eliminates the hesitation/slingshot effect produced by the factory design...
lot of that twist is in the quibo also. Driveshaft would be last on my list. You upgraded your axles and driveshaft now all stress is on the tranny. Get tranny, then all other mods you listed then driveshaft last if at all.
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:25 PM   #6
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

Quote:
I'm referring to the turbo options we have that are capable of 600+ tq/hp... My question is: What other supporting mods need to be done to get us there, support that power safely and make the best use of this new power?

- LSD: LOL LSD is desperately needed on a mild tune let alone a 4-5K turbo upgrade
- oil cooler: unless you track your car not needed
- upgraded lpfp: unless you plan to use Ethanol, not needed
- larger inlets for twin turbos: this is almost a requirement for Super RB;s and VVT stage 2+
- upgraded axles: good idea but I would wait until they break.
- hpfp assistance: not needed unless you plan to run ethanol
- upgraded driveshaft : remains to be seen
- upgraded tranny: if Auto don’t do a WOT shift from 5th to 6th, and you will be ok, if MT get SMFW
- 3.5 bar sensor: mandatory if running 21psi or more, which in this case most likely.
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:31 PM   #7
whosdady
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED
Quote:

- LSD: LOL LSD is desperately needed on a mild tune let alone a 4-5K turbo upgrade
- larger inlets for twin turbos: this is almost a requirement for Super RB;s and VVT stage 2+
- upgraded tranny: if Auto dont do a WOT shift from 5th to 6th, and you will be ok, if MT get SMFW
- 3.5 bar sensor: mandatory if running 21psi or more, which in this case most likely.
Every car is different but my car went into limp mode in the summer frequently. I was one of the lucky few that has a sport model without an oem oil cooler. I installed the BMS thermostat and ER oil cooler and everything is good. I had to purchase my cooler before I installed my OS Giken lsd.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:38 PM   #8
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED View Post
- upgraded tranny: if Auto don’t do a WOT shift from 5th to 6th, and you will be ok, if MT get SMFW
agree with everything but the oil cooler. Any tuned car should have one.
Appreciate 0