E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > changed Oil filter housing gasket and did 2nd Valve cleaning

02-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
TSRxi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Dinan 2

changed Oil filter housing gasket and did 2nd Valve cleaning

I have a 208 335xi that I just changed the oil filter gasket and while I had the intake off again I walnut media blasted my valves.

I did the first intake valve cleaning about 20k miles ago. I would not have done it this soon but had to remove the intake to get the oil filter housing off.

To be honest it really only takes about 20-30 min to get the intake off once you have done it before. I was surprised to see that the valves were more dirty than i expected. I also could see that most of the tar and carbon oil build up starts from the air/oil hitting the almost top area of the valve stem when the valves are open.

It then becomes like a cancer that grows down to the face of the valve.

Given my set up with walnut media blasting equipment (harbor Freight) I probably will plan to do this every 25k miles. I can do the entire job now in about 3-4 hours.

Car running better than ever now. Turbos replaced with updated wastegates. Injectors changed to updated version. I also replaced all the spark plugs and coil packs.

Bites that this has got to be one of the most needy engines in terms of maintinence out there. I have heard that there have been almost no issues with the redesigned parts. So lets see how it goes.

also installed VRSF 7" IC. I am going to JZW tune as soon as I can get dinan tune off the car. Been a major pain to get it removed.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Do you have an OCC?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Why not just get a RB PCV valve and/or OCC.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #4
TSRxi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Dinan 2

occ

I do have a Upgraded PCV valve from Burger. I will try the catch can but I really dont see it making that much of a difference. I have heard from most people using one that it does not catch that much oil. I can tell that the Amsoil Powerfoam I used about 8k miles ago seemed to have helped a little. But it did not seem to get into all the cylinders equally. The #6 had more carbon.

Bottom line is if you have the walnut media blaster set up and have done this 1 time before... its not a major deal to do this about every 25k miles. I will get a catch can and we can see how much of a difference it makes next time I do this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0