THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Front suspension clunking noise when cold

02-25-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
M-tavo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Front suspension clunking noise when cold

I searched on this forums and found nothing, at least in the suspension subforum..

I live in CT, we've been having really cold days these last few weeks, and everyday when I get out of the garage (~40F in the garage to ~5F outside) driving a slow speeds over small bumps/uneven roads I hear some clunking noises coming from the front end.

My M235i has less than 5k miles, completely stock, I want springs but this is keeping me from doing it.

Anyone experiencing the same thing?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I have a soft "clunking" when the car is cold and I am turning the wheel while the car is stationary, but I think that is because I have camber plates. When the car warms up (or I'm moving at all) its gone. I think if you're having the sound I think you are, you might want to get your front struts checked.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

It's likely the struts. In the cold on small bumps the valves inside some struts can cause a soft knocking or clunking noise until the shock oil gets up to operating temperature. Some types of adaptive shocks are more prone to this noise. My 228i does it for a couple minutes when it's really cold too.

There's nothing the dealer can do about it, don't bother taking it in.

Last edited by Racer20; 03-09-2015 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
M-tavo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I was thinking in just to wait until the weather warms up a little and if it continues, bring it to get it checked..

I just wanted to know if there was other people out there experiencing the same thing
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
MTob
Rep

I've also been having the same issue. I'm in Montreal and we've been having -30C weather all winter long. The clunking sound is coming from my rear suspension and only happens in the cold. Took it to the dealer a few times and they replaced my right shock absorber. Hasn't fixed the problem. It's tough to pinpoint where the issue is coming from exactly but apparently it's been a common issue on the F series BMWs. My friend's brand new 435 x-drive has the same issue!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 02:53 AM   #6
Jasond13
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

I know this is a bit old but I'm bumping it back, I got my car in Sep,2014 but is a 2015 X-drive at about 20K my front driver side rattles like hell in the cold or hot it's gotten worse over time. It's most noticeable over the smallest bumps driving slow. The car feels fine, handles the same as when I picked it up. I put it up on my buddy's lift we can't find anything noticeably loose that could be making this noise I am gonna make a video and post it tomorrow I'm interested to see if anyone else is having this issue its annoying as hell?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #7
crywolf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi

I have the same issue on my '15 M235xi up front. Located in Iowa and the noise showed up as winter set in. Took the car to the dealer to inspect and the tech said everything looked fine. They told me it's normal with the M adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 09:41 AM   #8
Jasond13
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by crywolf View Post
I have the same issue on my '15 M235xi up front. Located in Iowa and the noise showed up as winter set in. Took the car to the dealer to inspect and the tech said everything looked fine. They told me it's normal with the M adaptive suspension.
If it would have done it from the day I picked it up that's one thing, but it showed up over time around 14k. It sounds like a broken bouncing strut or like a metal to metal area where a bushing has failed.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 11:56 AM   #9
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Rub some Ben Gay on the LCAs. Mine is acting like an old guy too.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 01:06 PM   #10
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasond13 View Post
I know this is a bit old but I'm bumping it back, I got my car in Sep,2014 but is a 2015 X-drive at about 20K my front driver side rattles like hell in the cold or hot it's gotten worse over time. It's most noticeable over the smallest bumps driving slow. The car feels fine, handles the same as when I picked it up. I put it up on my buddy's lift we can't find anything noticeably loose that could be making this noise I am gonna make a video and post it tomorrow I'm interested to see if anyone else is having this issue its annoying as hell?
I'm experiencing the same issue you have described. Lift up the car and check it over and all suspension components seem tight. When the outside temp warms up the sound goes away.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #11
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB-II/CR 228i xDrive

From another similar thread...

"I have noticed these noises on all of the cars I have driven. Below freezing temperatures accentuates the noises most often until the car warms up. Many times, it has been because of worn out bushings. On one vehicle, it was because the engine cradle was cracked due to an accident. On the second car I owned, a wheel bearing needed to be replaced. Based on the amount of metal machinery connected underneath cars these days, it is a miracle that most are absolutely silent in this regard. Twice, I took my car into the shop only to be told that the noise I was hearing as an item rattling around in a storage compartment or under the seat, opps! If these noises aren't affecting performance or driving pleasure, I would leave well enough alone before insisting that a technician start tearing out suspension parts and inspecting them for damage or failure."
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #12
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

I wonder if flex seal helps isolate some of the metal on metal harmonics.

I mean don't apply it everywhere. Just on areas that don't contact other parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 07:19 PM   #13
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-tavo View Post
I searched on this forums and found nothing, at least in the suspension subforum..

I live in CT, we've been having really cold days these last few weeks, and everyday when I get out of the garage (~40F in the garage to ~5F outside) driving a slow speeds over small bumps/uneven roads I hear some clunking noises coming from the front end.

My M235i has less than 5k miles, completely stock, I want springs but this is keeping me from doing it.

Anyone experiencing the same thing?
Could be bumpstops. Common issue in cold climates.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 08:35 AM   #14
M-tavo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just got used to it.. still happens in cold days
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 12:37 AM   #15
Matpan
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Same issue (maybe?) on my (new) used 318d 2016 Series 3 Touring :)

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ighlight=clunk
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 08:51 AM   #16
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
I've experienced the same. Very loud popping/clunking when backing up, steering full lock on a cold day (below freezing). It goes away once the car's been driven a while.

Glad to hear its normal. I though maybe it was the tires, because they are PSS and it's cold so they are basically solid. This makes more sense though.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 11:00 AM   #17
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post
I've experienced the same. Very loud popping/clunking when backing up, steering full lock on a cold day (below freezing). It goes away once the car's been driven a while.

Glad to hear its normal. I though maybe it was the tires, because they are PSS and it's cold so they are basically solid. This makes more sense though.
There are two issues that are being confused here . . . what you're describing is due to cold tires stick/slipping on the ground at extreme steer angles.

The issue that OP is describing is commonly called strut chuckle or loose lumber, and is a very common problem for all OEM's. This is much quieter and cannot be felt through the steering wheel. It usually sounds like a bolt is loose somewhere in the suspension, or like quarters lightly rattling around in a coffee can. This noise usually originated in the strut valving itself and usually shows up on small bumps at parking lot speeds in cold weather. Brakes, steering, or throttle won't have much effect on this.

Most of the time it's not an indication that anything is wrong unless it becomes more severe or persists when it's warm or on larger bumps. Unfortunately the only real fix is to retune the dampers at the OEM level. The dealer can't do anything about it. You might get lucky and get a replacement set with a different tolerance stack up that happens to be quiet, but there's no guaranteed fix unless BMW releases an updated part.

My 2 series had both of these issues. My M3 doesn't.