E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New Injectors = Loss of Torque?

02-23-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
napboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90

New Injectors = Loss of Torque?

I searched but couldn't find anything specific so I was hoping you all could help. A few months ago, my N54 developed the rough idle and was getting a cylinder 3 misfire error. A couple months before that, I had replaced all my coils and plugs. So I suspected the injectors had gone bad.

The dealership confirmed that I needed new injectors. I was just out of my CPO warranty, but qualified for the warranty sharing program so I only had to pay $400 to have all six injectors replaced.

So the problem I'm having now is since the injectors have been replaced, I'm noticing a significant loss of low-end power. Maybe below 3,000 rpm, there seems to be a less torque. If I got WOT, I wouldn't notice any difference, but if I'm at half-throttle, there is definitely less power.

I'm not familiar with the mechanical workings of injectors, but is the loss of power normal? Maybe the latest revisions of injectors flow less fuel?

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

They most likely updated your firmware to 29.2 which has been known to cause extra ‘lag’ at low rpms
What tune are you running?
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
I noticed less Boost but more response/lowend especially sub 1700rpm but I'm sure I had 29.2 long before
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #4
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED View Post
They most likely updated your firmware to 29.2 which has been known to cause extra ‘lag’ at low rpms
What tune are you running?
This sounds like your problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #5
napboy
Private
United_States
Rep

That sounds pretty reasonable. I'll take it in and see what they have to say.

By the way, is it possible to revert to an older version of the DME software?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 08:21 PM   #6
whosdady
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by napboy
I searched but couldn't find anything specific so I was hoping you all could help. A few months ago, my N54 developed the rough idle and was getting a cylinder 3 misfire error. A couple months before that, I had replaced all my coils and plugs. So I suspected the injectors had gone bad.

The dealership confirmed that I needed new injectors. I was just out of my CPO warranty, but qualified for the warranty sharing program so I only had to pay $400 to have all six injectors replaced.

So the problem I'm having now is since the injectors have been replaced, I'm noticing a significant loss of low-end power. Maybe below 3,000 rpm, there seems to be a less torque. If I got WOT, I wouldn't notice any difference, but if I'm at half-throttle, there is definitely less power.

I'm not familiar with the mechanical workings of injectors, but is the loss of power normal? Maybe the latest revisions of injectors flow less fuel?

Any ideas?
This just happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was certain one of the injectors was damaged...

One of my friends told me the newer injectors have a higher flow rate. So the car needs to adapt. It took a couple of days but my car is great now!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 11:00 PM   #7
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by napboy View Post

Any ideas?
sorry but what is the warranty sharing program?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #8
napboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdady View Post
This just happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was certain one of the injectors was damaged...

One of my friends told me the newer injectors have a higher flow rate. So the car needs to adapt. It took a couple of days but my car is great now!!!
I thought the same, but it's been over a month for me with no change. Even a tune didn't solve the problem. I'm taking it for a drive today with the tech. I still think the folks above are correct about the software, but what do I know?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 11:06 AM   #9
napboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924er View Post
I don't recall what the official name of the program is, but my car was just out of CPO warranty when I had the injector problem so I asked if BMW would extend me goodwill to cover the costs under warranty. They wouldn't do it for free, but the manufacturer will look at the problem and the age and mileage of your car. If you qualify, you only have to pay a portion of the cost of repair and BMW will pick up the rest. My car had only 56,000 miles so I was well within the warranty range. So I had to pay only $400 for my share to replace all 6 injectors.

The good news that I found out yesterday when I called is that I should be getting that money refunded to me because there was an injector recall related to emissions which is part of the 8 year warranty.

If you're getting a repair and you're just out of warranty or having a similar issue, I would talk to the SA to see if they can arrange a repair under the voluntary emissions recall.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

Quote:
I don't recall what the official name of the program is, but my car was just out of CPO warranty when I had the injector problem so I asked if BMW would extend me goodwill to cover the costs under warranty. They wouldn't do it for free, but the manufacturer will look at the problem and the age and mileage of your car. If you qualify, you only have to pay a portion of the cost of repair and BMW will pick up the rest. My car had only 56,000 miles so I was well within the warranty range. So I had to pay only $400 for my share to replace all 6 injectors.

The good news that I found out yesterday when I called is that I should be getting that money refunded to me because there was an injector recall related to emissions which is part of the 8 year warranty.

If you're getting a repair and you're just out of warranty or having a similar issue, I would talk to the SA to see if they can arrange a repair under the voluntary emissions recall.
how far out of the warranty were you
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 03:52 PM   #11
whosdady
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Find out which injector index you received...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #12
napboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924er
Quote:

how far out of the warranty were you
I was a few months out of warranty but the SA specifically said that it didn't matter how far out of warranty you were. Mileage and age were the most important factors on whether you qualified for the sharing program.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 12:37 PM   #13
napboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdady
Quote:
Quote:

Find out which injector index you received...
Can you see the index number without taking them out? They're all brand new and the latest part number that's I've seen so I'm guessing index 11 or higher, but who knows.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #14
napboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924er
Quote:

Any ideas?
By the way, I just looked at my invoice and the program says 'goodwill participation'
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #15
whosdady
Major
Rep

You can see them without taking them out and 12 is the most recent index...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #16
TSRxi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Dinan 2

NEVER PAY FOR INJECTORS IN CA. Covered under emissions Warranty

I am not sure on the rules in other states. With the N54 in California injectors are covered up to 70k miles or 7yrs. No need for good will anything.

I got them to change mine at 68k miles. It was a battle. For the most part your going to have to have near new Spark plugs and coil packs. You can buy coil packs on online for $200 and plugs are about $70. But it costs about $2k for injectors with parts and labor...

GO look in the owners manual it lists all the parts covered in CA on the emissions warranty. On some of the SULEV Injectors are covered to 120k miles. The N54 us a ULEV....
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #17
napboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSRxi
I am not sure on the rules in other states. With the N54 in California injectors are covered up to 70k miles or 7yrs. No need for good will anything.

I got them to change mine at 68k miles. It was a battle. For the most part your going to have to have near new Spark plugs and coil packs. You can buy coil packs on online for $200 and plugs are about $70. But it costs about $2k for injectors with parts and labor...

GO look in the owners manual it lists all the parts covered in CA on the emissions warranty. On some of the SULEV Injectors are covered to 120k miles. The N54 us a ULEV....
This is probably why I'm getting refunded my share of the costs. Im glad they caught it and thanks for explaining why.

I installed new plugs and coils a few months ago so I should be good to go. I'm taking the car back in a couple of weeks to see what they can do about the lag.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #18
napboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Update and I could use your advice: I took in the vehicle again to follow up on the loss of torque/lag that I'd been experiencing between 1000-2000 rpm after they installed new injectors. The dealership has come back with the explanation that I have carbon buildup and need walnut blasting. Of course they want about $1,200 to do it.

So I said there's no way that my issue started the second the injectors were installed and the DME was updated. This is the diagnosis they're sticking with. Is this possible?

I'm not sure what to do here. They can't flash back to older software and I sure as hell don't want to pay the dealership $1,200 for walnut blasting to attempt to fix the problem. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:45 PM   #19
Welterweight
Major
Rep
Drives: Truck in snow, coupe in summer

Garage List
If you have not had it done yet then do it at an Indy shop. 400-500 max. Car is much smoother after this cleaning!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:54 PM   #20
napboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welterweight View Post
If you have not had it done yet then do it at an Indy shop. 400-500 max. Car is much smoother after this cleaning!
No doubt about that. My problem is that I need the dealership to fix this issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 10:02 PM   #21
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

Quote:
No doubt about that. My problem is that I need the dealership to fix this issue.
have them goodwill it, talk to the service department manager if needed
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #22
napboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED View Post
have them goodwill it, talk to the service department manager if needed
Ha, asked them that too and the SA said doesn't wualify because it's not a warranty issue. Might start at another dealer and try BMW na.
Appreciate 0