E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Benefit of Stage 1 Custom Tune

02-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Benefit of Stage 1 Custom Tune

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of upgrading my 2008 335XI and I'm curious as to the benefit of custom tuning versus OTS Cobb.

Background:
  • 2008 335XI
  • 71K mies
  • new BMW turbos within 5k miles
  • Last 1K miles (walnut blast, plugs, coils, vacuum lines, ER charge pipe, Forge Diverters, Cobb Stage 1 Sport OTS (will migrate to Stage 1+ Sport with the FMIC and then Stage 1+ Aggressive once I swap from winter to summer wheels and tires...)
  • Planned: FMIC

What's the practical benefit of custom tune with Stage 1+ hardware and software in terms of: (1) drivability, (2) TQ/HP, (3) gas mileage and (4) 0-60....?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
OTS tunes are designed to be applicable to an extremely broad base of users. We all have different climates, driving style, goals, etc etc. A custom tune will always yield the optimal results because it is just that, customized to YOUR car.

1) Drivability will be improved with better boost delivery, no surging. Throttle mapping can be improved to suit your tastes (kind of like Cobb offering different choices of linear vs stock throttle).
2) Horsepower/torque gains can vary of course. Peak values can improve slightly because low-midrange torque and hp can increase dramatically depending on how aggressive you want to go. It's hard to give an exact number but there would be a definite improvement with the custom tune.
3) In my experience, with any tune, gas milage tends to go down. This is not due to short comings from custom or even OTS tuning, it comes from the fact we will be enjoying that power more and driving a little more aggressively!
4) With the torque increases 0-60 can improve significantly if you can hook up. With an XI, you should see a real gain.

There are lots of custom tuners out there. Personally I went with BQ tuning from Wedge Performance. They are patient and will work with you to achieve your goals. They have tuned the quickest 335XI. Your tune will be tailored to your car. With any of the custom tuners, be prepared to do a lot of logging. This is how the parameter adjustments are tested.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Just get custom tuned, doesnt cost that much...
Appreciate 0