F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > OT - Mercedes Benz C Class
Extreme Powerhouse

02-19-2015, 02:50 AM   #1
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

OT - Mercedes Benz C Class

The long process of my choosing my next car continues… As usual, I am in no rush to swap out the 330, but if the right car came along at the right price, I would…

Had a look at the new(ish) C Class the other day and, I have to say, I could be tempted next time around.

My interest was piqued initially because I’ve seen a couple on the road now and, I have to say, that it looks pretty stylish (the front end is a bit heavy-handed, but so are many, these days, with the new regulations regarding pedestrian impact etc).

I can forget the AMG C63’s, as they are well out of my price bracket, but a specced up 250 or 300 would be very much in the right price zone, particularly with a good deal.

How does it compare to my 330d..?

Well, the 330d BMW is certainly going to be the quicker car of the two (on paper, I’ve yet to drive the C Class) and I would say that the combination of iDrive and Pro Media is better than MB’s “Command” system (although both pretty much do the same things and I am sure you;d get used to the MB system quickly).

I’d say the Merc is pretty stylish, particularly in AMG Line spec (much in the same way that we find our F30’s in M Sport trim) and I am impressed with the colour options, even with the AMG Line spec (M Sports do have a limited colour palette, don’t you think?).

The standard equipment on the C seems generous and you can easily top that up with the various packs for not too much ££. The interior is quite modern but whether or not this would seem a little too much over time is something to consider.

The only difference I could see in practicality is that the boot on the MB looks slightly smaller than on the BMW.

How does it drive?

Well, I am interested enough to find out, so I am going to drive one soon and I’ll let you know…

Has anybody driven one..? The feedback I had from one owner was that is is not a particularly involving drive but a very nice place to be whilst getting from A to B… and, if I am honest, that would not particularly bother me as the opportunities that I have had in 1 year and a bit of owning the 330d to genuinely show the differences between it and a C Class dynamically are, err, none….

Perhaps the real answer to my dilemmas with my F30 might be answered in the LCI….
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 02:58 AM   #2
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
My interest was piqued initially because I’ve seen a couple on the road now and, I have to say, that it looks pretty stylish (the front end is a bit heavy-handed, but so are many, these days, with the new regulations regarding pedestrian impact etc).

I’d say the Merc is pretty stylish, particularly in AMG Line spec
Have you had an eye test recently? Its an awful looking car, fugly front and rear, the old one looked much more mean. The new E must have stolen all Mercs decent designers as it looks far better.

There have been comparison threads on here from people who have driven them if you do a

And no 6pot is a big deal breaker for many.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 03:02 AM   #3
Archer-s
Captain
Rep
Drives: on order

HI Dave,

I had the new C for a while, put my review up here:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1064839

I would suggest if you do get a C, get it with Air Suspension, that is the only way you will have a more comfortable ride then the 330d IMO, and in terms of price the base has more features on the C, but once you price up like for like new with discounts there really isn't much in it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 03:19 AM   #4
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssond View Post
HI Dave,

I had the new C for a while, put my review up here:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1064839

I would suggest if you do get a C, get it with Air Suspension, that is the only way you will have a more comfortable ride then the 330d IMO, and in terms of price the base has more features on the C, but once you price up like for like new with discounts there really isn't much in it.
Thanks for the link, I'll have a read...

As for spec, yes, those are pretty much the sort of conclusions I was coming to...

I'm going to be interested to drive one...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 03:25 AM   #5
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Have you had an eye test recently?
Strangely, I have, yes.. How did you know..?

Quote:
Its an awful looking car, fugly front and rear, the old one looked much more mean. The new E must have stolen all Mercs decent designers as it looks far better.
Aww, c'mon, it's not an awful looking car at all (there are some right old monsters on the road, but this isn't one of them)... In fact, IMHO, it's one of MB's better lookers... which just goes to show how much looks are a personal choice..

Quote:
And no 6pot is a big deal breaker for many.
I was thinking about this and the conclusion that I came to was that if the MB 4 wasn't intrusive then (for all practical reasons) I could live without the 6 cylinder...

I'm just going to have to try one, to see, really...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 03:32 AM   #6
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

I've yet to see one in the flesh and think it looks nice. ETTO and all that but the looks alone means I'd never consider one. The new Jag has taken its place for me in the big 3 to consider. Interior is nice though, but not convinced with Command, and that screen is a joke, but that's been discussed enough times!

Would you be looking at diesel or petrol - I bet theres a world of difference in how intrusive they are, unless the deadening is very good.

But yeah, you won't know without trying one
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 03:56 AM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

One thing to note on the C class, none of the trim levels come with leather!! It has what they call Artico Leather, which has never been anywhere near a cow, it is Vinyl!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 04:01 AM   #8
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

One thing that put me off mercs and I hope it gets better is the build quality. Wife has a 3 year old in March B class 200 sport. Initially no issues now 3 years down the line. I have laquer peeling , the media controller joystick playing up, heater controls have failed, and whole car has started to rattle and its only done 22k.Already had to have the high gloss black replaced once due to stains and discoulour.

While my E90 had its issues in 6 years and 60k never where they niggles if something broke fair do it was more major but overall the car was far more reliable and in better finish at end of it.

I could just about live with the super chrome , bling interiors but not with the rest. Its one of reasons I dropped the C also from my list and stuck with F30. Next maybe the jag but the posisbility of having a335i with plugin hybrid option is too tempting.
      02-19-2015, 04:06 AM   #9
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
One thing to note on the C class, none of the trim levels come with leather!! It has what they call Artico Leather, which has never been anywhere near a cow, it is Vinyl!
I spotted that, but real leather is less than £800 to add, so that seems like a no-brainer to me...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 04:14 AM   #10
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

Dave I love the looks, even the wierd ass has really grown on me. In AMG trim the C is a great looking car IMO. It leaves the chavvy CLA far behind.

What engine are you thinking of- petrol or diesel? Do they even have a 250 diesel available yet? I have driven it in an E class and it was nice, felt powerful enough. Gearbox not as clever as the BM though. Don't think Merc are doing a 6 cyl in this C class though
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 04:24 AM   #11
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewthefirst View Post
Dave I love the looks, even the wierd ass has really grown on me. In AMG trim the C is a great looking car IMO. It leaves the chavvy CLA far behind.
Gosh, the CLA, you are right there, I don't like that one at all..!!

I looks like it is sat on its chassis, like it's been plonked onto 4 wheels as an afterthought..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewthefirst View Post
What engine are you thinking of- petrol or diesel? Do they even have a 250 diesel available yet? I have driven it in an E class and it was nice, felt powerful enough. Gearbox not as clever as the BM though. Don't think Merc are doing a 6 cyl in this C class though
I was looking at either the C250 or the C300 (Hybrid) diesels... They look about a match up for the 325d F30...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 04:27 AM   #12
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The new Jag has taken its place for me in the big 3 to consider.
Just been looking at the Jag website... The new XE does look of interest, but you can easily run up some big numbers, especially if you might be looking at one of the more powerful engines... and a lot of kit seems to be extra...

I don't suppose Jaguar are discounting and doing cheap finance yet, are they..?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 04:31 AM   #13
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

If You Enjoy Driving, You'll Be Wanting The BMW.

There Is No Direct Merc Competitor For The 330. The C Class 300 Has A Dreadful Four Cylinder Diesel....

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 04:55 AM   #14
FSE23
Major
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG 2019

Not many engines choices, petrol hardly available if any, no 6-pot engines whatsoever and awfull 7AT. Body does however look interesting from a point of view that it is different. And horrible iPad-like screen glued to dashboard....all these put me off thinking about having one

2007 E92 335i BS ultimate drive
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 05:14 AM   #15
JC72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 430d Mspt

I had a 300 hybrid in AMG trim with passive suspension and 18’s for a few days – you will need the air suspension, it rode pretty hard and I think the 19’s are also a given as they look beautiful! The looks are subjective, but in the right colour and big wheels, I like it.

The thing seemed to steer a lot sharper than my F32 – again subjective, but it was a lot more ‘pointy’ (sorry I know that sounds lame) very quick to change direction. Arguably too quick. Interior, acquired taste but very nice. With the contrasting grey (almost white) leather, metal bits and nice wood – it did look a class above the more reserved F3*.

The biggie for me though and already mentioned in this post was the engine, rough and noisy even compared to a BM 4 pot. Until they bring in a 6 (if they do!?) cant see many defecting if the engine is high on the priority list.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 05:46 AM   #16
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
If You Enjoy Driving, You'll Be Wanting The BMW.
I do enjoy driving, yes... Or, rather, I did...

Thing is, let's count the number times when I have driven my 330 in any way such that its driving dynamics might differentiate it from it's rivals... Ok... I've done that and it = zero...

Thing is, to me, the F30 isn't a car I would go out in just for a drive, sporting or otherwise. It's a work horse, a tool (albeit a nice one), and so, to be honest, I will look, in future, more to the experience inside the car than to it's driving dynamics as my primary driver for purchase...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
There Is No Direct Merc Competitor For The 330. The C Class 300 Has A Dreadful Four Cylinder Diesel....

Ah, well, I'm going to find out about that when I drive one, aren't I.....
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 05:52 AM   #17
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC72 View Post
I had a 300 hybrid in AMG trim with passive suspension and 18’s for a few days – you will need the air suspension, it rode pretty hard and I think the 19’s are also a given as they look beautiful! The looks are subjective, but in the right colour and big wheels, I like it.

The thing seemed to steer a lot sharper than my F32 – again subjective, but it was a lot more ‘pointy’ (sorry I know that sounds lame) very quick to change direction. Arguably too quick. Interior, acquired taste but very nice. With the contrasting grey (almost white) leather, metal bits and nice wood – it did look a class above the more reserved F3*.
These are some of the same impressions I have of the car's style and looks (I've not driven it yet, so cannot comment on handling etc).

An AMG Line car with 19" wheels, leather, black ash trim, adaptive suspension, Premium Plus pack and some other goodies presents a pretty stylish and comfortable proposition at or about 330d money (discounts are pretty good at mo' as well)......

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC72 View Post
The biggie for me though and already mentioned in this post was the engine, rough and noisy even compared to a BM 4 pot. Until they bring in a 6 (if they do!?) cant see many defecting if the engine is high on the priority list.
Yes, that would be the deal breaker for me. No point having the style and refinement elsewhere in the car if the (non)refinement of the engine cancels that out.. or even works against it..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 05:54 AM   #18
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
One thing that put me off mercs and I hope it gets better is the build quality. Wife has a 3 year old in March B class 200 sport. Initially no issues now 3 years down the line. I have laquer peeling , the media controller joystick playing up, heater controls have failed, and whole car has started to rattle and its only done 22k.Already had to have the high gloss black replaced once due to stains and discoulour.

While my E90 had its issues in 6 years and 60k never where they niggles if something broke fair do it was more major but overall the car was far more reliable and in better finish at end of it.

I could just about live with the super chrome , bling interiors but not with the rest. Its one of reasons I dropped the C also from my list and stuck with F30. Next maybe the jag but the posisbility of having a335i with plugin hybrid option is too tempting.
Back in 2012 when I really needed a car for work, we looked at Mercs at local dealers, not only were the discounts pants but the build quality was in my opinion substandard to our Mondeo.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 05:55 AM   #19
Archer-s
Captain
Rep

Might be worth waiting for the C350e if engine refinement is high up on the list
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 06:31 AM   #20
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Take it from someone in the know, if you enjoy driving you will not enjoy a c class.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 06:35 AM   #21
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
Take it from someone in the know, if you enjoy driving you will not enjoy a c class.
The only people at our company that have mercdes are invariably the old person, wear cardigans even in the summer and smell of wee...

The automatic suits them, as it leaves their left hand free for those worthers moments.

Last edited by ....,,,,..,,..; 02-19-2015 at 06:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 06:51 AM   #22
Archer-s
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
The only people at our company that have mercdes are invariably the old person, where cardigans even in the summer and smell of wee...

The automatic suits them, as it leaves their left hand free for those worthers moments.
Haha, my wife also said this to me, another reason not to buy
Appreciate 0