E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > xenon self test, can hear it trying but no movement on lights?

02-18-2015, 01:37 PM   #1
mickyboy1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

xenon self test, can hear it trying but no movement on lights?

any ideas on what I can try. I switch to auto on the light switch and I can hear them trying to do it but the lights do not move.

I can hear what sound like a motor moving twice (so the up and down movement I should be expecting) but the lights stay point to the floor
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyboy1 View Post
any ideas on what I can try. I switch to auto on the light switch and I can hear them trying to do it but the lights do not move.

I can hear what sound like a motor moving twice (so the up and down movement I should be expecting) but the lights stay point to the floor
There's a thread on here somewhere about a guy who found his servo motor had come dislodged from the socket on the headlight housing - try searching for it. Basically access the back of the light from the wheelwell (remove the liner), take the back cover off and check if the servo motor is seated in the socket properly. I think he just popped it back in place.

EDIT: found it Headlight wasn't leveling - fixed!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
mickyboy1
Private
Rep

just had a read. both mine do not move. I must be very unlucky for both to pop out. I will look.

my car has recently been in for DPF so they would have had the car up in the air to work on the exhaust. the lights have been bad since.

the fact I can hear movement is promising though. could the rear servo/arm thing on the back be bent due to being jacked up?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
mickyboy1
Private
Rep

ive just been outside and had a friend with me. if I lever the rear xenon sensor my friend could hear the motor moving slightly so I believe the rear levelling sensor is ok.

its very strange.

I can quite clearly hear both motors trying to move the xenons. but no movement at all. could the garage have had the car so jacked up that if by mistake they turned the lights on the self test could have popped the ball sockets out of the motors inside the light?

I have had to do 13 full turns of the manual adjusters just to make it just drivable at night.

(don't worry I will turn 13 turns back if I find out why this is happening)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 07:31 PM   #5
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

Just sounds like the balls popped out the back of the sockets. Especially if you still have manual vertical adjustment.
Appreciate 0