E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FBO w/o oil cooler

02-17-2015, 07:10 AM   #1
srbarnes4ever
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90 Sport

FBO w/o oil cooler

Just ordered all the goodies to go FBO for my 07 E90 A/T. It is an early build (10/06) so does not have the oil cooler installed. Anyone else running this as a DD with no oil temp issues? I would hope that if not tracking, I will be ok with a high quality oil but looking for data. If and when i do add a cooler, is ER the only retro fit option....seems very expensive but clearly high quality also.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #2
altostratus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi sedan

Yeah...you are gonna want an oil cooler. She gets toasty even with the stock one.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
KeepRidingDirty
Professional Monkey Trainer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbarnes4ever View Post
Just ordered all the goodies to go FBO for my 07 E90 A/T. It is an early build (10/06) so does not have the oil cooler installed. Anyone else running this as a DD with no oil temp issues? I would hope that if not tracking, I will be ok with a high quality oil but looking for data. If and when i do add a cooler, is ER the only retro fit option....seems very expensive but clearly high quality also.
If you're not tracking it or going extended lengths at WOT then you'll be fine. I am FBO (except downpipes) and have no oil cooler and I'm fine, I don't track it but I do my local autocross and the occasional WOT acceleration and I have had no issues.
      02-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #4
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
If not road tracking the car and only using as a daily driver with the occasional short spirited run you should be okay but I would monitor oil temps and see if they start to creep up over half. Really depends on your climate. May have some issues in the dead of summer, but you won't know until you run it. So I would monitor and then revisit the decision once it gets hotter out.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

Quote:
I have no oil cooler in 100F SoCal weather and drag racing in ~70F weather and I have no issues what so ever.

As long as you can keep the water temp (by using max cool mode on JB4) low you won’t have issues with oil temp.

You can get an auxiliary radiator (from a PPK stage 2) for about $300 to keep the temps even lower.

If you are going to have a dedicated track car, then yes you would need an oil cooler.
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

As other said, if you start creeping past 250F oil temps then it's time for an oil cooler. If you can stay under 250F in your hardest driving and hottest temps then you are OK.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Keep an eye on the oil temps, if they get too high start considering the oil cooler.
It really depends on your driving style and if you track your car or not

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #8
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Just buy an oil cooler, it's not fun having to monitor your temps on a DD when you're trying to carve the twisties. One can build a retrofit for <$400 on eBay
      02-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #9
chepy24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 alpine white 335i xdrive

Quote:
i dont have one and am fbo iv never gone into limp but i did get my oil temp up to ~250 at a meet doing run after run. Really looking at getting one even though i wont ever track my car
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #10
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
I was in the same boat as you, FBO and no factory OC. I frequently worried about oil temps when it warmed up because my temps were consistently sitting at 240+ regardless of how hard I was driving. After reading about how higher oil temps can start shearing/breaking down the oil viscosity, I didn't need much more convincing.

I started keeping my eyes open for a used oil filter housing and the other parts for the retro. I found a used housing for under $80 on eBay and picked up a Setrab core, lines, fittings for another couple hundred bucks. And I had a shop do the install of the OC housing while they were doing my walnut blasting since both require the removal of the intake mani.

Keep in mind, if you do decide to retrofit, that since you're driving an early model, you would also need a special factory bracket to hold the oil cooler in the fender that us early model guys did not get. Part #: 51647975360 (it's more or less this part but for the passenger side - this is of the bracket on the drivers side)

Be glad to chat more if you plan on retroing. I remember it being a bit tedious when I was piecing it together on my own.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #11
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Just buy an oil cooler, it's not fun having to monitor your temps on a DD when you're trying to carve the twisties. One can build a retrofit for <$400 on eBay
It’s not that easy on a car that doesn’t have an oil cooler at all. You would need new oil filter housing, lines, brackets, core, even a different fender liner, all can cost a grand easily, throwing 1K at a problem that doesn’t exists seems pointless, an Aux radiator can be made for about $300 and will come with everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
I was in the same boat as you, FBO and no factory OC. I frequently worried about oil temps when it warmed up because my temps were consistently sitting at 240+ regardless of how hard I was driving. After reading about how higher oil temps can start shearing/breaking down the oil viscosity, I didn't need much more convincing.
250F is not horrible over 280F is when you start having problems, a decent (full synthetic ester based) oil (not that crap Castro that’s factory filled) will do just fine at 250F
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #12
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED
Quote:
Just buy an oil cooler, it's not fun having to monitor your temps on a DD when you're trying to carve the twisties. One can build a retrofit for &lt;$400 on eBay
Its not that easy on a car that doesnt have an oil cooler at all. You would need new oil filter housing, lines, brackets, core, even a different fender liner, all can cost a grand easily, throwing 1K at a problem that doesnt exists seems pointless, an Aux radiator can be made for about $300 and will come with everything.
Quote:
250F is not horrible over 280F is when you start having problems, a decent (full synthetic ester based) oil (not that crap Castro thats factory filled) will do just fine at 250F
I bought a used OEM retrofit for $450. Just sold it for $500. You can easily piece it together for $400 used. You'll likely be running over 250* without one during canton drives or auto-x... For engine longevity I'd suggest installing one. It's something you can always resell for around $400-500 so it was a no brainer for me.
      02-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Normal operating temp on stock vehicles with the oil cooler is ~238F +/- 10. I've seen some non oil cooled stock vehicles tip over to 255-260 on hot days normal driving.

Most other vehicles (High Performance and exotics) barely tip over 215F when pushed to their limits.
BMW designs these cars to run hot and for 1 reason only and that is emissions purposes.

Every other performance vehicle runs an average of 170F oil temps up to 215F max.
Keeping that in mind it's really up to interpretation and your feelings if the 238-250F range is "normal" or not. It's normal for your stock BMW for emissions purposes but from a performance and longevity standpoint I'd beg to differ if its the ideal temp.

I for one would at least tell guys with the oil cooler to run the thermostat by pass which means I'm partial to seeing lower temps then factory recommended specifications.

I'd tell the OP to get an aftermarket oil cooler and thermostat bypass but I really don't want to sound like a salesmen. I genuinely do believe that it should be done though.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 02:10 PM   #14
srbarnes4ever
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED View Post
It’s not that easy on a car that doesn’t have an oil cooler at all. You would need new oil filter housing, lines, brackets, core, even a different fender liner, all can cost a grand easily, throwing 1K at a problem that doesn’t exists seems pointless, an Aux radiator can be made for about $300 and will come with everything. 250F is not horrible over 280F is when you start having problems, a decent (full synthetic ester based) oil (not that crap Castro that’s factory filled) will do just fine at 250F

Thanks all for the feedback. Consensus is monitor but no urgent need if temps and driving style don't demand otherwise. I use Motul or Redline oil so should be as good as it gets in terms of heat/shear stability. I am not against the auxiliary radiator from the PPK down the road regardless...I wish these had aux transmission cooler to help with that heat load but is what it is.

I have Cobb AP coming, not JB4 so no max cool mode for me.

Waiting for parts to arrive and for a warm day to start installing! Got 11" of friggin snow yesterday....ain't doing poop til I get a 50F day minimum!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #15
srbarnes4ever
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I bought a used OEM retrofit for $450. Just sold it for $500. You can easily piece it together for $400 used. You'll likely be running over 250* without one during canton drives or auto-x... For engine longevity I'd suggest installing one. It's something you can always resell for around $400-500 so it was a no brainer for me.
Under $500 sounds reasonable for a future project to me. I have seen 250F on the trip from Lexington to Atlanta many times.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #16
srbarnes4ever
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Normal operating temp on stock vehicles with the oil cooler is ~238F +/- 10. I've seen some non oil cooled stock vehicles tip over to 255-260 on hot days normal driving.

Most other vehicles (High Performance and exotics) barely tip over 215F when pushed to their limits.
BMW designs these cars to run hot and for 1 reason only and that is emissions purposes.

Every other performance vehicle runs an average of 170F oil temps up to 215F max.
Keeping that in mind it's really up to interpretation and your feelings if the 238-250F range is "normal" or not. It's normal for your stock BMW for emissions purposes but from a performance and longevity standpoint I'd beg to differ if its the ideal temp.

I for one would at least tell guys with the oil cooler to run the thermostat by pass which means I'm partial to seeing lower temps then factory recommended specifications.

I'd tell the OP to get an aftermarket oil cooler and thermostat bypass but I really don't want to sound like a salesmen. I genuinely do believe that it should be done though.
Jeff, is that a cooler thermostat or is it truly one fixed in a partially open state? I would love something that runs cooler.

Thx
Srb
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #17
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I use Motul or Redline oil so should be as good as it gets in terms of heat/shear stability.
both are good choices, I prefer motul myself since I had oil consumption issues with redline in two separate cars...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 03:20 PM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Jeff, is that a cooler thermostat or is it truly one fixed in a partially open state? I would love something that runs cooler.

Thx
Srb
BMS Oil cooler thermostat bypass is open all the time. The only downisde would be for someone who lives in temperatures that are always cold as the car would take longer to warm up. I think Stett made a lower t stat but I don't much about it or if it's still available.

The T stat bypass typically sees a 15F drop in average oil temp.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 06:39 PM   #19
srbarnes4ever
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
BMS Oil cooler thermostat bypass is open all the time. The only downisde would be for someone who lives in temperatures that are always cold as the car would take longer to warm up. I think Stett made a lower t stat but I don't much about it or if it's still available.

The T stat bypass typically sees a 15F drop in average oil temp.
I like the avg drop but suspect I would not like the delta T to operating temps. Grp IV or V synthetics should mitigate the concern somewhat though....I am I. Central Ky so 10 or 11 mos of the year I almost never see sub freezing temps.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 08:10 PM   #20
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

My car stays at 180 with my cooler.
Attached Images

JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 10:06 PM   #21
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
My car stays at 180 with my cooler.
Are you sure that's a good thing?

Consensus from a number of other threads on the subject suggest that optimal oil temp is +/- 200F.

180 might be a little too cooled off for the N54/55 platform IIRC
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 10:54 PM   #22
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Are you sure that's a good thing?

Consensus from a number of other threads on the subject suggest that optimal oil temp is +/- 200F.

180 might be a little too cooled off for the N54/55 platform IIRC
100% sure its fine, 180 degree by temp sensor is actually a lit warmer. 140,000 miles and ticking.
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0