E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PTF proTUNE Results, PUMP gas stock turbo record and comparison dynos with JB4 G5

02-15-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
proTUNING Freaks
Rep
Drives: powered by bootmod3

Thumbs up PTF proTUNE Results, PUMP gas stock turbo record and comparison dynos with JB4 G5

In almost every initial email people ask us what we can do for them with our custom tuning power wise. Some come to us with bone stock cars and ask about getting parts to go full bolt on and get a custom tune. Others come to us with an existing Cobb OTS tune and ask about gains while some already have a tune such as the latest JB4 G5 with and without the free BMS backend flash.

We spent some time on the dyno and gathered up some neat results to demonstrate what we can do. The runs are on pump 93 octane, same day, details below.

Car and its modifications:
2007 335i 6AT
WINTER tires (they actually hurt power a little over summer tires due to thread design, read more here if you like).
3" catless downpipes
OEM exhaust
BMS DCI intakes
Intercooler
93 octane pump gas
All runs done in 4th gear

We started with a baseline run with all the boltons on the car and just a Factory (OEM) tune flash and from there did our custom tuning. Other than being a great all around consistent reliable tune this is also a stock turbo pump 93 octane N54 torque World Record.

Gains of +115whp and +187wtq over stock baseline of the same car, same dyno, pump gas and FBO modifications. That will transform your stock N54 entirely and provide it with enough punch to confuse a lot of other cars on the road while doing so on your no-hassle pump gas

As the car came to us with a JB4 G5 ISO on it we moved on to get some runs with it installed. First we uninstalled the Cobb AP entirely from the car and ran the JB4 as most people out there seem to run it, without a pump gas backend flash. Here are the results:

The tune above had a number of timing corrections on Map 1, 2 and 5 and we felt that we should flash the free BMS pump gas flash and get what we and BMS feel is a more appropriate tune these days. Here are the results:

Above shows the power actually went down from No BMS backend flash runs. However, given how Map 1, 2 and 5 are setup for boost this setup actually is considerably less knock prone and safer to run on the car than the No backend flash. In case you're running a JB4 out there without an appropriate flash at least do yourself a favour and grab the BMS free flash. Your N54 will thank you for it.

At this point we installed the Cobb AP back on the car and ran the Cobb OTS Stage 2+Agg map that comes preloaded on the Cobb Accessport to get a sense of how it compares against the JB4. Here are the results against the JB4 without the free BMS backend flash:

Considering how simple it is to plug the Cobb AP into the OBD2 port and just flash it with this OTS map and considering the logs show absolutely no knock while making more power everywhere we felt the Cobb AP brings the most complete off the shelf tune available on the market even without any custom tuning.

Here is the same Cobb Stage 2+Aggressive map against the JB4 G5 with a BMS backend flash:

Here are results of our custom tune compared to the off the shelf map. Note almost +30whp/+80wtq gains at peak over the Cobb Stage 2+Agg OTS map and as much as +70whp gained in midrange.

Let us know if any questions at all. Our custom tuning has been built and refined over many years with the N54 and we will guarantee a consistent reliable tune for all of our customers. Tuning comes with lifetime support from us and unlimited map revisions as long as the car needs a revision on the same mods/octane we're there to help free of any additional charge.

With the recent introduction of ignition timing logging on the JB4 G5 we've adopted it as well for custom tuning when/where required and will provide custom backend Cobb flashes to run with the JB run exclusively on a custom map 6 where higher numbers are available to be had as well but it is nice to see what Cobb OTS vs. JB4 OTS vs. stock baseline and custom tuning can do all in one place gathered on the same car same octane same dyno same day.

When we get a chance we'll do a similar exercise on higher octane and demonstrate our results to the community.

Regards,
PTF
http://www.protuningfreaks.com
http://www.facebook.com/protuningfreaks

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 02-15-2015 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Thanks for taking the time to do this however I think you may have left out some key information like what boost each tune is running. I don't see any boost figures unless I'm blind. Most of us know what boost the JB4 targets but what is your tune running?

Something jut doesn't add up. The car made less power running map 1 (13psi) as apposed to map 2 (14.5psi) with the Backend flash???
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #3
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Our custom tune here has considerable changes to VANOS timing, ignition timing, fuel targets as well as boost. Boost is just one of the variables in a tune and on its own without knowing the rest of the variables doesn't do much other than serve as a point of reference for those running other tunes with different ignition timing curves, VANOS, fuel, etc. This particular car's tune ran within the OEM 2.5bar TMAP sensor limits with a peak of 21psi.

Keep in mind that we're simply providing data we've gathered on most popular OTS pump gas tunes out there and comparing with what we in this case can do with custom tuning. We'll happily use a JB as well as long as you're running the latest firmware with ignition timing logging across the motor especially if you're going past the OEM TMAP sensor limits (past 21psi at sea level) where we actually recommend it as the only safe way of doing so with hybrid type setups and OEM type boost control.

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 02-15-2015 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2015, 07:59 PM   #4
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
This is pretty much my same experience.

I had my car tuned over the summer by Jake before he left PTF. I started with Cobb Stg 2+ Aggressive. By the time he finished I was making +15 hp + 40 lb-ft peak but had gained 70 hp and even more torque down low (3-4k rpm) and about 30 hp and 50 lb ft of torque near redline. It completely smoothed out the car and made it feel like I had just went stage 2 all over again.

Definitely worth the money no matter what level tune you have.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 08:17 PM   #5
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Here she is on the dyno looking pretty on winter wheels and tires

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #6
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Any chance you guys are comfortable with tuning using the BB backend flash as opposed to using Cobb AP? There is no way I am ditching the JB4 for all the other features it provide (mostly the coolant pump override for track), but the BMS backend flash certainly could use some refinement.
However, I just don't really feel like dropping $600-700 for the Cobb AP while the free BB software does the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 09:05 PM   #7
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Our custom tune here has considerable changes to VANOS timing, ignition timing, fuel targets as well as boost. Boost is just one of the variables in a tune and on its own without knowing the rest of the variables doesn't do much other than serve as a point of reference for those running other tunes with different ignition timing curves, VANOS, fuel, etc. This particular car's tune ran within the OEM 2.5bar TMAP sensor limits with a peak of 21psi.

Keep in mind that we're simply providing data we've gathered on most popular OTS pump gas tunes out there and comparing with what we in this case can do with custom tuning. We'll happily use a JB as well as long as you're running the latest firmware with ignition timing logging across the motor especially if you're going past the OEM TMAP sensor limits (past 21psi at sea level) where we actually recommend it as the only safe way of doing so with hybrid type setups and OEM type boost control.

I know my fair share of tuning and decided to have your now ex-colleague try to tune my car just to see what PTF could do. It was a while ago now. We went over 30 revisions and just couldn't get it done. The car didn't have any issues and only had 18k miles on it. Three-four 3rd gear pull's on every revision is well over 60-70 high speed runs. Wasn't ready for jail time yet so we threw in the towel and the tune was left undone.

I understand totally. I've always run the JB back since 2010 and do my own backend flashes. I also have many Vanos timing adjustments in place. I don't use BB to flash cause I just don't trust it and prefer to do it via my AP. As Cloud9blue said, I couldn't do without all the JB4 features especially with the app. Problem is most people can't get their JB4 setup properly for a smooth yet strong power delivery. Map 6 is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 09:21 PM   #8
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Well done!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 11:03 PM   #9
BostonBeemah
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: AW 135i 6spd

Definitely left out some "little" details.. I made 402whp with my g4 before iso on map 2 with only a downpipe, DCI and 3 gallons of e85 on a dynojet. My graphs are on a few other forums.

I do feel having a proper flash gives you a good bit of HP over a stock flash or the canned BMS flash similar to the results of the Cobb 2+ but these numbers are way off for baselines IMO but I'll leave it to others to decide that on their own. There are plenty of fbo cars out there making a good amount over 400whp with similar mods on a JB4.

Would also like to see logs of your pro tune pulls with only 93 in the tank. Hard to belive that there was absolutely no knock on any cylinders with that setup and no meth.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 11:36 PM   #10
OB
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i wagon, Pure Stage 2+PI...

Garage List
I don't get why people make dyno threads and not post the datalogs at the same time...

Stage 3 LPFP
E85...
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2015, 11:39 PM   #11
Oo vvR3cKz oO 619
GEARS OF WAR 3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N54 E93

It would be nice to see more pro tuned cars @ race events instead of just starting keyboard internet wars . Why not just post your awesome results and bring your company positive feedback . Jb4 vs Cobb will just bring out the trolls.. any how great work

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 12:51 AM   #12
fastgti69
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Very interesting, you do realize that you compared your custom map VS Jb4 weakest conservative maps? Map 5 needs at least 3-4 pulls to fully adapt and adjust itself as well.

So your testing with the 402 whp pull, what psi was that set up at and what timing value? That would be more valuable information when comparing tunes, not just peak power.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 01:24 AM   #13
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgti69 View Post
Very interesting, you do realize that you compared your custom map VS Jb4 weakest conservative maps? Map 5 needs at least 3-4 pulls to fully adapt and adjust itself as well.

So your testing with the 402 whp pull, what psi was that set up at and what timing value? That would be more valuable information when comparing tunes, not just peak power.
Looking how power and torque peaks at 4.5k rpm they are probably running a lot of boost midrange.

And honestly with the drop-off after 4.5k rpm I don't think I would like to run such a power curve on my car. I rather just have a power and torque curve that follows the stock curve. Something like this:

The GREEN line = stock flash. BLACK line is stock flash with stock turbo with FBO car and JB4 map3. The pull was stopped a bit early in the rpm range though. The BLUE line is stock flash with pure stage1 turbo with FBO car on custom map6 JB4. Thats a curve I really like!

Stock flash 279whp and 309wtq(=418.7nm).
Custom map6 JB4 stock flash: 392.7whp and 429wtq (=581.3nm).

Thats 113.7 WHP and 120 WTQ increase over stock numbers with a nice high RPM curve. With JB4 tune only of course.

Last edited by PeterPure; 02-16-2015 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 01:37 AM   #14
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Total BS, almost funny how much BS information is in this thread lol!
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 02:17 AM   #15
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
So your tune with 21 psi in the midrange made more power than a JB4 Map2 capped at 14.5psi? I don't think anyone should be surprised. Without some kind of logs and full disclosure this kind post of becomes frustrating and a bit misleading actually.

As far as Map5, it doesn't dyno well due to its adaptive nature so it's not one commonly thrown into the mix. I was surprised to see do as well as it did.

As far as the backend flash, one way it makes more power is higher load targets than the JB4 boost targets, thereby allowing for more boost if you leave the JB4 in its default Menu 4/3 position (which most people do). If you were capped at 14.5psi in map2 then you must have changed it to Menu 4/2 which defeats the purpose. The pump flash actually runs less timing in the midrange compared to the stock flash so I am not shocked it made less power by restricting its boost to default map2 levels. It's certainly not a fair way to compare backend vs no backend since it wasn't used in the way that Terry designed it.

I don't think your dyno curve looks all that great with a peak that down low just for the sake of dyno glory. This is funny considering how much bashing Wedge received from PTF for some of his dyno graphs. I hope this is a dyno glory set up and not one that would be pushed out to customers. I have seen better graphs from other PTF cars. The OTS Cobb Stage 2+ aggr graph looked better than yours even. I think if you improved on that without worrying about setting a 93 octane N54 dyno record the result would have been nicer.

Just food for thought. Terry made 1.5 less hp running 4-5psi less with stock downpipes and nice power curve all the way to 6k shift point all while on Map 2 and a pump backend and 93octane.
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21382

Last edited by musc; 02-16-2015 at 02:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 06:06 AM   #16
razorjimmy
Bang !
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP Coupe

Another unpleasant bashing. It is disappointing to see that this is coming from a "reputable" tuner. You should at least have your tune reviewed by an independent unbiased reviewer if you wanted to prove that you are any better than some other tune.
      02-16-2015, 06:43 AM   #17
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Hey PTF, why are you trying to mislead people with regard to the JB4 performance? I know its not your tune, but you should be smart enough to know when you are doing something wrong.. I mean, if I can tell, you should be able to... Maybe this post will win you a new customer who is clueless, but its not going to help your rep with anyone who has been around more than a month on this platform. Shame to see you resort to this low level. I used to think PTF was a stand up company, but now I see your true colors.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 07:28 AM   #18
LGCubana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

Ok, here's a different perspective: I have zero experience messing with the parameters on either the COBB AccessTuner or the JB4 and I'm not about to learn (AKA Fk up) on my daily ride.

When I 1st decided on tweaking my N55 I weighed out the Pros and Cons between the COBB and the JB4. For me the ability to get an eTune was the deciding factor.

Sidebar on eTune vs. dyno: I'm not a believer in a Dyno tune, as it doesn't translate to the way that I normally drive. I'm currently working with PTF (4th rev) on getting the curve/responsiveness that works best for my driving tendencies.

So for me (the novice) this thread indicates what can be done with a Protune versus the out of the box results for the JB4 and the COBB platforms.

To all of you that can talk the talk and walk the walk (tuning), props. But to quote Inspector Callahan, "A mans gots to know his limitations".
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 07:37 AM   #19
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E92 6MT (12/06 build)

Smells fishy in here..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 07:38 AM   #20
Infamy
underground
Rep
Drives: alpine white 335 E92

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [9.66]
Never mind the dyno!!!! I met up with a PTF cobb tuned 335 at the track last year, he was FBO running high amount of e85. I am 335 FBO runnin jb4 and meth on 93 pumpgas. He was bragging about his dyno numbers also. Lol Well anyway we raced 3 times, And I ended up beating him 3 times. His best time was 12.2, my best time was 12.018. It may not look like much on paper, but my car pulled on him from start to finish. I had no backend flash at this time also. Food for thought.
      02-16-2015, 07:50 AM   #21
HeavyMetalRocker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
Total BS, almost funny how much BS information is in this thread lol!
+1 never thought I'd see the day where PTF dropped to this level... Anyone who's been on the platform for more than a year knows the results are dramatically skewed in favor of PTF. Pretty damn sad to say the least but I just lost quite a bit of respect for them!
2007 335i e90 6mt | Motiv 750 XR8267 | RB PCV | JB4 G5 | MHD Pump Flash | Walbro 255lph | VRSF CP & Tial BOV | NGK Plugs | Custom Side Exhaust | CxRacing FMIC | Spec 2+ & SSMFW | StopTech Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk Performance Pads | DEFIV Lockdown kit | Mtec V3 | Apex PS7s | 35/15% Llumar ceramic
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 07:55 AM   #22
APTF
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

We aren't bashing anyone or misleading anyone.

We put a jb4 car on a dyno and showed the results of map1 vs map2 vs map5 vs backend flash. Most customers use these maps so I'm not sure what the issue is. These are out out-of-box solutions and we wanted to show the comparison between these maps and a protune. Same car, same conditions, same mods.
Appreciate 0