E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Urgent help please! Small mistake = huge nightmare! (broken subconnector)

02-14-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
ben410
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 SGM 335i M-Sport

Exclamation Urgent help please! Small mistake = huge nightmare! (broken subconnector)

So I passed inspection last night, and this morning was working on removing my DP Fix. Very simple, right? Well, I was carefully pulling on the DP Fix wire, removing it from the small black sub connector in the ECU, when this happened:

I pulled the wire out, and the small metal tab STAYED IN THE CONNECTOR!

I have no idea what to do. I've been working on prying it out for 3 hours now and after little bits and pieces have chipped off from my effort, I'm stuck with a little chunk of metal in there that won't come out.

I was thinking replacing the connector might be a solution, but I have no idea where to find it. I was also thinking of melting/cutting the plastic off that area, but then I wouldn't know what to do from there.

This is a pretty big emergency for me, as I need my car. What I thought was going to be a 5 minute job before I headed off to the gym ended up being a HUGE mistake.

Can anyone think of a solution here? I'm panicked. I suppose not having that wire plugged in would result in something catastrophic. I'm not going to touch anything until I have more ideas or have it towed to the dealer.

Last edited by ben410; 02-14-2015 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 04:51 PM   #2
ben410
Enlisted Member
Rep

**UPDATE**

I said screw it, and decided to crack the black plastic above the stuck piece of metal. I used needle nose pliers to yank'er out. I was actually able to get all the jumper wires back into place and secure them in place, just enough to attach the sub connector back onto the DME.

Car is working fine and no issues yet.

I WILL say though, that I wasn't impressed with the quality of the DP Fix purchased from VRSF. The tabbed ends of the wires (not sure what to call them) were very difficult to slide into place, almost had to mash it in (which is what caused this) whereas the stock BMW wires slid and locked into place with ease.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

This is probably a dumb question, but you did press the little release tabs down before you pulled the wires out, right?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
ben410
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
This is probably a dumb question, but you did press the little release tabs down before you pulled the wires out, right?
Yes, I did. Unfortunately, I believe this whole thing was caused by poor fitment of the aftermarket tabs/connectors/whatever you call them. I had to jam them in there. Figured I'd have to tug them out, but wasn't expecting the wire to strip out, leaving the tab behind. It was almost as if the square head was a fraction of a fraction of a MM bigger than OEM.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
Whiteout335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i alpine white

I agree with the quality. The little metal tabs bent and just broke off mine,still worked fine but compared to the other wires that are in the jb4 way better quality
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #6
BriaN54
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I actually just had that happen to 3 of my wires when trying to remove the dp fix. I just found a really, really small screw driver and punched it through from the other side just enough to be able to pull the rest with needle nose pliers. And I did push the metal tab when trying to pull them out. I'm gonna have to look for replacement pins so I can use it again.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 06:36 PM   #7
BriaN54
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben410 View Post
**UPDATE**

I said screw it, and decided to crack the black plastic above the stuck piece of metal. I used needle nose pliers to yank'er out. I was actually able to get all the jumper wires back into place and secure them in place, just enough to attach the sub connector back onto the DME.

Car is working fine and no issues yet.

I WILL say though, that I wasn't impressed with the quality of the DP Fix purchased from VRSF. The tabbed ends of the wires (not sure what to call them) were very difficult to slide into place, almost had to mash it in (which is what caused this) whereas the stock BMW wires slid and locked into place with ease.
Mine also was from vsrf. And I also had to jam them into the jb4 connector and knew it was gonna be an issue removing them.
Appreciate 0