E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > First Month with a a Cobb Tune

02-14-2015, 08:29 AM   #1
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

First Month with a a Cobb Tune

Hey everybody,

I thought I'd share my experiences with the first tune I've done on my 2008 335XI AT for those who might be considering the same thing. First off, let me say nothing I'm going to say here should come as a surprise if you've read-up on the topic, be cause my experience largely reflects that which I've seen in multiple other posts spread around this and other forums. So, here goes.

Initial choices: Of course, I wrestled with my decisions as to which tune i'd use. Cobb, JB, GIAC, BMW, Dinan, etc.. There are lots of choices for the N54 and they all have solid followings. I decided against Dinan and BMW almost immediately because of expense and "dealer" installation. I've read about GIAC and, although it seems good, it was my understanding that I'd need to remove the ECU, ship it out and wait for the install. I didn't want to wait to have my car back in service, so that wasn't an options. Then, i was really down to Cobb and JB. Both are reputable, both provide good service and both are "DIY" projects. In the end, i had a member offer me his 4 month old Cobb for the price of a new JB (because he was switching his tune at the request of his tuning shop) and I pulled the trigger on Cobb.

Installation: 20 minutes of sitting in the car while Cobb V3 did its thing. I read my email and it was done.

Initial impressions: First, I should have installed my plugs and coils before the Cobb AP V3. I immediately threw misfire codes. So, I installed the plugs and coils and the misfire issue has been behind me for 4 weeks. I added a drop in filter at the same time, mostly because it was time for a new one and I don't think I want a CAI because they're a touch louder and I'm trying to keep this car as stealth as possible. Anyway, I'd suggest doing plugs and coils before installing your tune no matter how excited you are to see the results of the tune. Next, I ran into the 30FF (low boost code) when pushing the car at WOT in 3rd and 4th gear. So, I replaced all vacuum lines (except the two to the Turbo Actuators, because the dealer recently replaced them with my turbos and they looked perfect). I also installed an ER charge pipe with forge diverters (green springs for now). And, I haven't seen the dreaded 30FF since. I'm running about 13.5 PSI on Stage1 Sport (winter tires in Illinois). We'll see what happens when I press to Stage 1 Aggressive, which may hit 14.5/15.0PSI.

Need for Speed: As predicted by others, once you start the tuning process, it's addicting. I plan to install a new FMIC to get intake temps lower, to keep all of the power I'm making and make it repeatable/consistent - plus I should see 10-20WHP in the upper RPM range with the new FMIC. Moreover, I want to avoid the possibility of knock, which I understand is bad. Given that the car won't be tracked often, a really good 5" or 6" FMIC, which will require little to NO trimming to fit would be perfect. I'm currently considering (AMS, ETS, AA, VRSF, Mishimoto, Wagner).

I should also note that my car had 70K miles when I did the tune and it recently has turbos replaced by BMW under warranty. Since I hadn't done a walnut blast to clean the intakes, i took it in to a tuning shop an had that service done along with an oil change, intake manifold gasket, oils filter housing gasket and a few odds and ends. Everything seems to be perfectly in order and the car is just silly fast.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #2
NA55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Congrats on the newly acquired car..
It will be way faster once you're FBO..
FMIC, DPs, and ethanol on a custom map FTW!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
LGCubana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

If you do get the FMIC, please make some notes on the car's responsive on the stock unit, in the cooler temps, vs the new unit in the summer months; that's about 65 days in Chicago , right ?

I'd be curious to see if you really get any benefits, specific to your environment.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
Abacus38
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 Comp

Congrats! I would reccommend the VRSF steped 5" intercooler since you dont want to trim the plastic surrounding. VRSF are the best intercoolers for the price! Also look into getting your LPFP replace with one from Fuel IT so you can get a custom tune with e85.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #5
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

I have the old vrsf 5 in and it works great haven't really had heat soak since then unless ambient temps are in the 90s.

I'm using stage 1 aggressive 91 octane with 20%e85. Fuel trims look good and I have zero timing corrections. I recommend e85. Although 3 months later my HPFP went out so idk if that's related or it's a coincidence lol

DCI intakes, ER chargepipe, TIAL BOV,
VRSF 5in FMIC, BMS Downpipes COBB e30
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #6
Give_Em_The_DD
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 black 335xi coupe

Nice!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 05:16 PM   #7
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Once you get the FMIC, hit up Wedge for a tune. The Cobb tune is decent but the Wedge Tune is Fkn unbelievable....GL.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 10:27 PM   #8
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

+1 wedge buraq
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 10:47 PM   #9
solishe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 Spc Grey Met e90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule
+1 wedge buraq
+2
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 11:02 PM   #10
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL335 View Post
Once you get the FMIC, hit up Wedge for a tune. The Cobb tune is decent but the Wedge Tune is Fkn unbelievable....GL.
Wedge tune?? So, they'd take the Cobb and prepare a special map for your car specifically? How much? What needs to be done before the tune. How do you like your Mishimoto FMIC? I'm thinking for my local area, temp loss isn't a huge issue. So, a 5" should be fine. I don't want pressure loss, however. And, if I get the FMIC, i can run Cobb Stage 1 + FMIC, which peaks at 16 PSI....

My "mods" and recent repairs are listed below:

new plugs
new coils
new BMW turbos
new vacuum lines
walnut blast
Cobb access port V3, Stage 1
Cobb drop in filter
ER charge pipe
Forge Diverters

Looking at FMIC.....
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 12:31 AM   #11
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb335xi View Post
Wedge tune?? So, they'd take the Cobb and prepare a special map for your car specifically? How much? What needs to be done before the tune. How do you like your Mishimoto FMIC? I'm thinking for my local area, temp loss isn't a huge issue. So, a 5" should be fine. I don't want pressure loss, however. And, if I get the FMIC, i can run Cobb Stage 1 + FMIC, which peaks at 16 PSI....

new plugs
new coils
new BMW turbos
new vacuum lines
walnut blast
Cobb drop in filter
ER charge pipe
Forge Diverters

Looking at FMIC.....
BQ Tuning by WedgePerformance we custom tune you car via etuning. For cost and how etuning works send us an email

wedgeperformance@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #12
Give_Em_The_DD
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 black 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb335xi
Quote:

new plugs
new coils
new BMW turbos
new vacuum lines
walnut blast
Cobb drop in filter
ER charge pipe
Forge Diverters

Looking at FMIC.....
These guys dial my car in Jeff
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #13
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Give_Em_The_DD View Post
These guys dial my car in Jeff
Thanks DD. Still wrestling with a NO/Minimal cut FMIC. I may or may not do the DPs and Exhaust. I like the idea of a sleeper. Plus, having added everything over the past month I should have about 80 new ponies under the hood, which should be a hoot for this spring and summer!!

Still on snow tires now, so I'm not certain how much extra I can use at this point!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 04:13 PM   #14
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:

new plugs
new coils
new BMW turbos
new vacuum lines
walnut blast
Cobb drop in filter
ER charge pipe
Forge Diverters

Looking at FMIC.....
According to your list, you are ready to roll. New Turbos? Hopefully not on your dime!

You're looking great and ready for an FMIC. I like the Mishimoto. It fits perfectly and the install was very easy. It's not the cheapest out there but it was just what I was looking for. A VRSF or ER 5" would work great. I live in FL and the Summers are brutal on turbo cars...had my Mishimoto all Summer and it exceeded my expectations.

So..yes, Wedge/BuraQ will create a map just for your car and dial it via datalogs, overtime. It's really night and day vs. the Cobb. Mind-blowing...

The guys are terrific. They are very helpful, turnaround is quick and the maps are just awesome. Solid!

GL, brother. You are ahead of the game.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 06:15 PM   #15
proTUNING Freaks
Rep
Drives: powered by bootmod3

Great to hear you're having fun with your new tune. Let us know if you need any help reviewing datalogs or getting more consistent reliable power out of your car with our custom tuning.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #16
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
According to your list, you are ready to roll. New Turbos? Hopefully not on your dime!

You're looking great and ready for an FMIC. I like the Mishimoto. It fits perfectly and the install was very easy. It's not the cheapest out there but it was just what I was looking for. A VRSF or ER 5" would work great. I live in FL and the Summers are brutal on turbo cars...had my Mishimoto all Summer and it exceeded my expectations.

So..yes, Wedge/BuraQ will create a map just for your car and dial it via datalogs, overtime. It's really night and day vs. the Cobb. Mind-blowing...

The guys are terrific. They are very helpful, turnaround is quick and the maps are just awesome. Solid!

GL, brother. You are ahead of the game.
Thanks for the response. The turbos were compliments for BMW NA at about 65K miles or so. They did HPFP, injectors and plugs at around 35K as well as the trans mech sleeve and front diff oil leak. So, between those I've had most of the big ticket items.

I've done everything else recently, except for the walnut blast, oil change and a few gaskets. Had those done by FMU, who works on performance cars.

Thanks for the comments on Mishimoto. I'm uncertain if I want to cut and swap connections. Hence, them, Wagner and apparently Forge seem to be the only NO CUT, NO clamp change options. If I want to change clamps and trim a little, I've got some really good choices - really too many if you're OCD....
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #17
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Thanks DD. Still wrestling with a NO/Minimal cut FMIC. I may or may not do the DPs and Exhaust. I like the idea of a sleeper. Plus, having added everything over the past month I should have about 80 new ponies under the hood, which should be a hoot for this spring and summer!!

Still on snow tires now, so I'm not certain how much extra I can use at this point!!
Quote:
Thanks for the response. The turbos were compliments for BMW NA at about 65K miles or so. They did HPFP, injectors and plugs at around 35K as well as the trans mech sleeve and front diff oil leak. So, between those I've had most of the big ticket items.

I've done everything else recently, except for the walnut blast, oil change and a few gaskets. Had those done by FMU, who works on performance cars.

Thanks for the comments on Mishimoto. I'm uncertain if I want to cut and swap connections. Hence, them, Wagner and apparently Forge seem to be the only NO CUT, NO clamp change options. If I want to change clamps and trim a little, I've got some really good choices - really too many if you're OCD....
VRSF 5", ETS 5" and AA also offer no cutting.

Mishimoto is a good FMIC over stock but it does have the restriction of using the stock piping.

Nobody really refers to Forge because it's so over-priced but again the stock clamp and piping will be a restriction.

I understand some people find the stock piping something of importance when it comes to warranty but since you are way out of warranty by now it really holds minimal value in my opinion.

Therefore I'd recommend an option that offers a large unrestricted lower charge pipe like the above mentioned intercoolers.

ER is another great intercooler but at 6" there will be about an inch of trimming of the bumper shroud, which is not the actual bumper but the piece behind it. With the right tools it may take an extra 20-30 min to trim that away.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 04:31 PM   #18
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
VRSF 5", ETS 5" and AA also offer no cutting.

Mishimoto is a good FMIC over stock but it does have the restriction of using the stock piping.

Nobody really refers to Forge because it's so over-priced but again the stock clamp and piping will be a restriction.

I understand some people find the stock piping something of importance when it comes to warranty but since you are way out of warranty by now it really holds minimal value in my opinion.

Therefore I'd recommend an option that offers a large unrestricted lower charge pipe like the above mentioned intercoolers.

ER is another great intercooler but at 6" there will be about an inch of trimming of the bumper shroud, which is not the actual bumper but the piece behind it. With the right tools it may take an extra 20-30 min to trim that away.
Thanks Jeff; I didn't realize AA was in the "no cut" bucket. I'll take another look there. It seems I may have (2) "no cut", but change brackets -- ETS and AA. I haven't heard anything bad about either and I think they'd all be in the $700 range, which is certainly fine. As to VRSF, I've seen some tremendous reviews and some really bad ones. Not having seen or touched them myself, I'd probably shy away simply because of the unknown.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 04:40 PM   #19
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Thanks Jeff; I didn't realize AA was in the "no cut" bucket. I'll take another look there. It seems I may have (2) "no cut", but change brackets -- ETS and AA. I haven't heard anything bad about either and I think they'd all be in the $700 range, which is certainly fine. As to VRSF, I've seen some tremendous reviews and some really bad ones. Not having seen or touched them myself, I'd probably shy away simply because of the unknown.
I've only heard of an instance or two in regards to AA that it might require trimming, I think that may have came down to poor installation, don't shoot the messenger. You are more then welcome to verify direct with AA and i encourage it.

I've only had experience in person with ER, ETS, VRSF and Mishimoto locally.

I know for sure the ETS is no cutting and it comes with the lower charge pipe upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 05:49 PM   #20
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
BQ Tuning by WedgePerformance we custom tune you car via etuning. For cost and how etuning works send us an email

wedgeperformance@gmail.com
Thanks BuraQ

What do you think about FMIC?? I can either cut and replace couplers at which point i can easily run, AMS, ER, etc.

Or, I can can skip cutting and replacing clamps and run Forge, Mishimoto, Wagner...

I'd like to skip the cuting and clamp replacement if I can. One of your clients in FL sent me a message saying he's running only Cobb with your tune and Mishimoto. Do you know how that FMIC - or the others witout cutting and clamp replacement - would do in the Chicago area. I will only track my car 3 times this year MAX and one of those events will just be 1/4 mile runs for the fun of it....
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 05:54 PM   #21
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I've only heard of an instance or two in regards to AA that it might require trimming, I think that may have came down to poor installation, don't shoot the messenger. You are more then welcome to verify direct with AA and i encourage it.

I've only had experience in person with ER, ETS, VRSF and Mishimoto locally.

I know for sure the ETS is no cutting and it comes with the lower charge pipe upgrade.
Thanks for all the help Jeff. As soon as I figure out what I'm doing, I'll give you a PM to see what your prices look like. IF i can avoid cutting, i'd really like to do that. I'm 50/50 on clamps. All that said, I'm near Chicago on will only track 2-3 times this year at most. So, easy install and pressure is the biggest issue. Heck, once I get a custom tune, I could have 1. a super hot setting that dials things back a bit, 2. a summer setting and 3. use something like the Cobb stage 1 sport I'm using now for winter tires.

Again, thanks to Jeff and everyone for the comments. You all make this whole process easier for somebody who just started last month!!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 09:12 AM   #22
neoexodus
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335i E93

2 days less than a month with the 335i here, and less than a week with the Cobb AP, and already have my first speeding ticket in about 10 years :-/
Appreciate 0