E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > DIY Custom OCC with AD Engineering Fittings

02-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #1
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

DIY Custom OCC with AD Engineering Fittings

Andy Divers from AD Engineering made two fittings (vent hose flapper delete & PCV delete). The correct way to do this is to tap and seal the ports in the head to prevent boost from entering valve cover. His fittings are some of the best quality I've seen and the service has been impeccable.

People are going to ask why I didn't just buy a custom OCC - simple answer is I like to design my own stuff.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I am NOT responsible for any damage to you, your car or anything else.

TIPS:

**Do NOT allow any shavings to enter the motor - it's easiest to have a secondary person on hand with a vacuum.
**Use thread cutting oil for all tapping.
**Use oil on all threads of AN fittings to keep from marring threads.

FITTINGS NEEDED FOR DIY:

-12AN X 1/2" NPT Female straight fitting
-12AN X 1/2" NPT male flared straight fitting
-12AN X 1/2" NPT 90 degree double swivel fitting
-12AN T fitting (rubber top only)
-12AN cap (rubber top only)
-12AN nut (rubber top only)
-12AN X 1/2" NPT Elbow (alternate filter only)
-10AN X 1/2" NPT 45 degree fitting
-10AN X 1/2" NPT straight male flared fitting
-10AN X 1/2" NPT straight female fitting
-8AN X 1/2" NPT 90 degree fitting
-8AN X 1/2" NPT 45 degree fitting
-8AN X 3/8" NPT straight male flared fitting
-8AN X 3/8" NPT straight male flared fitting
-8AN cap

NOTE: In some pics you may see fittings not previously mentioned already installed. This was due to timing of arrival of fittings.

DIY FOR REMOVING VALVE COVER:

LINK HERE!

DIY FOR STAINLESS STEEL LINES:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875343

STEP 1:

Tapping OCC top

STEP 2:

Tapping OCC bottom (all bottom fittings are 3/8" NPT)

STEP 3:

This is for the rubber top filter that came with the MOTIV kit (NOTE: Step 4 is an alternate metal-topped filter that I personally prefer).

STEP 4:

Alternate metal-topped filter

STEP 5:

Valve cover tapping (see DIY on Valve Cover removal link above if necessary).

I can NOT stress enough to not allow ANY shavings to get into the motor - be as clean as possible!!

STEP 6:

STEP 7:

STEP 8:

You'll have to take your own measurements for line fitment as each person may want to put the lines in a different location.

STEP 9:

STEP 10:

All finished! Here are the completed project pics! (Please ignore my filthy engine bay - it's usually spotless. LOL)

JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2015, 05:46 PM   #2
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Haven't even read this yet but as always, props. Once tuning is done this is next on the list of things to do - right now i'm VTA and it's both

1. Ineffective as a means of pulling vacuum on the crankcase
2. Gross. Oil everywhere, nasty smell.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #3
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Haven't even read this yet but as always, props. Once tuning is done this is next on the list of things to do - right now i'm VTA and it's both

Partially my fault...I told you to do that. I never got a real bad smell though until I hit higher boost
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:

I'm VTA from the BMS occ but considering an exhaust venturi.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
Partially my fault...I told you to do that. I never got a real bad smell though until I hit higher boost
What?!?! No way dude, you've provided more help to this community than just about any member here - period.

VTA was totally my choice. It' just a smelly one

How much boost have you cranked it up to? I'm stuck at 17 pounds until I get fuel squared away.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 05:59 PM   #6
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
I'm VTA from the BMS occ but considering an exhaust venturi.

Neil
Think that's the way to go for sure. Let me know if you find an exhaust shop that'll do it.

I would *think* it'd be fairly simple to weld in a venturi?

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 06:02 PM   #7
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
What?!?! No way dude, you've provided more help to this community than just about any member here - period.

How much boost have you cranked it up to? I'm stuck at 17 pounds until I get fuel squared away.
20 as of now, to damn cold!!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Think that's the way to go for sure. Let me know if you find an exhaust shop that'll do it.

I would *think* it'd be fairly simple to weld in a venturi?
you could easily do that.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #9
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:

I appreciate that man!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 06:05 PM   #10
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

I would highly suggest you relocate the coolant tank on motiv kit, get rid of heatshield. It is actually a lot cooler temps when you do.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #11
The Convert
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976
I would highly suggest you relocate the coolant tank on motiv kit, get rid of heatshield. It is actually a lot cooler temps when you do.
Did you measure this? Which temps exactly? What did you use to measure?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 10:13 PM   #12
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Convert View Post
Yes, its unclear whether robc is referring to iat or coolant.

FWIW, I added DEI foil to the outside of the heatshield, which on my car shields the air filter and the coolant reservoir.

Thanks.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 11:19 PM   #13
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
I used a infared temp gun but it was hard to get a exact measurement but was 47 degrees cooler on the filter. I honestly think it was more. When I would lift my hood you could feel the heat coming from that area, with heat shield and coolant tank gone the filter is not even warm. With them both not removed the top of the filter used to get very warm and that was a rubber top, the metal top filter wich would get hotter is cool to the touch. The Motiv kit doesn't put as much heat out as you think. You will see the same with your kit.

I honestly wish I took more readings but was just trying to get DIY done. It is substancial though.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 09:42 AM   #14
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I used a infared temp gun but it was hard to get a exact measurement but was 47 degrees cooler on the filter. I honestly think it was more. When I would lift my hood you could feel the heat coming from that area, with heat shield and coolant tank gone the filter is not even warm. With them both not removed the top of the filter used to get very warm and that was a rubber top, the metal top filter wich would get hotter is cool to the touch. The Motiv kit doesn't put as much heat out as you think. You will see the same with your kit.

I honestly wish I took more readings but was just trying to get DIY done. It is substancial though.
Interesting, but what would explain this?

Is the heatshield not tight enough and trapping heat around the air filter or is heat being transferred from the coolant reservoir?

Which is more likely to be beneficial: moving the reservoir or removing the heat shield?

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 09:47 AM   #15
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post

Is the heatshield not tight enough and trapping heat around the air filter or is heat being transferred from the coolant reservoir?

Which is more likely to be beneficial: moving the reservoir or removing the heat shield?

Neil
very good point actually, it is the coolant reservoir, I did leave a small piece of the heatshield for my oil cooler. I can take pics if yoy like?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 09:48 AM   #16
The Convert
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #17
The Convert
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN
Quote:

Neil
I might finally bite the bullet and go with a 335d tank after all.

With the Motiv filter setup, I might just have a little trick up my sleeve. RobC I may just pm it to you since I know you'll get to it a hell of a lot faster than I will.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #18
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

With the Motiv filter setup, I might just have a little trick up my sleeve. RobC I may just pm it to you since I know you'll get to it a hell of a lot faster than I will.
And will you keep the heatshield?

Also, what hoses will be needed for use with the 335d reservoir (or can the existing hoses be adapted)?

EDIT: Also looks like a custom charge pipe will be needed to clear the reservoir. Since I like my ER/TiAL set-up,this reduces my interest in relocating the reservoir!

Neil

Last edited by MDORPHN; 02-15-2015 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 06:13 PM   #19
The Convert
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN
Quote:

And will you keep the heatshield?

Also, what hoses will be needed for use with the 335d reservoir (or can the existing hoses be adapted)?

EDIT: Also looks like a custom charge pipe will be needed to clear the reservoir. Since I like my ER/TiAL set-up,this reduces my interest in relocating the reservoir!

Neil
Correct on the CP...I'll probably just mod my ER pipe to fit if I do it. I would be keeping, and possibly modding, the Motiv heat shield.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 11:12 PM   #20
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
Correct on the CP...I'll probably just mod my ER pipe to fit if I do it. I would be keeping, and possibly modding, the Motiv heat shield.
I use stock cp abd my stock coolant reservoir. Made my own brackets. Had to make slight hole in fever liner but that was it. Used 3ft of 5/8" heater hose, keep hose low with no upward travel. I mounted mine to AC line abd works perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 07:07 AM   #21
The Convert
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I use stock cp abd my stock coolant reservoir. Made my own brackets. Had to make slight hole in fever liner but that was it. Used 3ft of 5/8" heater hose, keep hose low with no upward travel. I mounted mine to AC line abd works perfectly.
Yeah, if I move mine I want to do the 335d tank so I can use the stock mounting points and what not. I'm a little OCD about some things. Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #22
skyguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i 6MT

Watching this closely, thanks Rob. Now I'm hoping to do plumbing and tap ports this week then dyno thurs. Have had the 335d tank for a while just no time for conversion yet, but thats still my plan too with slightly modified ER pipe.

Last edited by skyguy; 02-16-2015 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0