E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Traction control even work?

02-11-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
jaimeson55
Rep
Drives: 335i

Traction control even work?

I have 2007 335i with downpipes and a JB4. I never try to burn out in it but I go through tires about every 12 months. I dropped some cash on a set of Nhitto Motivo tires which are supposed to be good performance all season that that didn't work. Should the traction control do something? I get the light but that doesn't mean I don just stand still when I floor it. I have the boost down to 10 psi in first and second and when I drop the peddle it just sits and spins, I have to part throttle to 3 gear then floor it. I am saving for a LSD but it's outside of my price range right now. Could my traction control be not working or is this pretty normal?

Last edited by jaimeson55; 02-11-2015 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

I did not understand if you just turn on your car and try to drive off. If that's the case, there should be some slippage, but minimal.

If you press the DTC button to activate the Dynamic Traction Control, you will get a lot more wheel spin, but it will still try to constrain it.

If you are holding the button for over 5 seconds, then all you will do is wheel spin.

I'm sure you know all that, but I just wanted to confirm which is the case you are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
Aashenfox
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi 6AT

The regular traction control is invasive to the point of annoyance, it will prevent ALL slip and spin of any kind. As stated above and just to reiterate, pressing the DTC button on your dash, turns OFF DSC (the invasive annoying one) and turns ON DTC, a much less invasive form of traction control that will allow some slippage but will still not let you swap ends or do burnouts on a dry road. HTH.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
jaimeson55
Rep

I have not turned off DSC for fear of eating the tires more. I must have something wrong then, it's not invasive at all, it just spins the hell out of the tire at full throttle.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #5
Douche
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashenfox View Post
The regular traction control is invasive to the point of annoyance, it will prevent ALL slip and spin of any kind. As stated above and just to reiterate, pressing the DTC button on your dash, turns OFF DSC (the invasive annoying one) and turns ON DTC, a much less invasive form of traction control that will allow some slippage but will still not let you swap ends or do burnouts on a dry road. HTH.
Sorry, I know this point has been beaten to death, but there seems to be some doubts about it still.
Pressing the DTC does not turn anything off. It turns DTC on, which is a more permissive setting for traction control, to allow for some slippage. It won't allow the car to do a 180 though, which is what the stability control is for (and is not turned off when DTC is on, repeating).

And my car is not a turbo, but it spins the wheels without the DTC. Much less, of course. But you still have to control your pedal input.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
Douche
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimeson55 View Post
I have not turned off DSC for fear of eating the tires more. I must have something wrong then, it's not invasive at all, it just spins the hell out of the tire at full throttle.
So again, still not clear, you do not press any button? You just turn the car on and go?

I'd say there's something wrong with your car, or some setting (do you have JB4, for instance) that turns the traction control off by design.

EDIT: Since you have JB4, you might want to take a look at the settings for traction control, or wait somebody familiar with them chime in. I know nothing about it, but am willing to bet everything it's a JB4 thing interfering. Your car stock should not burn tires like that. Unless with traction control off, as mentioned before.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

All season tires- there's your problem.

Get some winter tires, hit the DTC button once, and drive through (most) winter weather without worry
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
Douche
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post

Get some winter tires, hit the DTC button once, and drive through (most) winter weather without worry
No man... Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #9
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valter
Quote:

No man... Lol
I did! All season tires suck. Gotta get winters for snow and summers for spring and summer months- unless you live somewhere where it's 68 degrees and sunny all year long
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #10
Douche
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I did! All season tires suck. Gotta get winters for snow and summers for spring and summer months- unless you live somewhere where it's 68 degrees and sunny all year long
Lol

Though I would agree all seasons suck, first thing is: how did you assume he is NOT living in one of those places where it's 68 all the time? Lol

Secondly, the fact that he has X tires don't matter, treaction control would still impede burnouts.

Thirdly, the fact he mentioned he is going through tires every 12 months is a sign that he lives in a warm place, and is talking about burning tires (you can't burn tires in the winter).
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #11
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Lol

Though I would agree all seasons suck, first thing is: how did you assume he is NOT living in one of those places where it's 68 all the time? Lol

Secondly, the fact that he has X tires don't matter, treaction control would still impede burnouts.

Thirdly, the fact he mentioned he is going through tires every 12 months is a sign that he lives in a warm place, and is talking about burning tires (you can't burn tires in the winter).
You're right! Haha...could be camber or any number of things. I saw he was from NM- so snow is not likely. Shame on me....boo.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #12
Douche
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You're right! Haha...could be camber or any number of things. I saw he was from NM- so snow is not likely. Shame on me....boo.
I was trying to find where he was from after your post, but couldn't. Lol good find
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #13
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was trying to find where he was from after your post, but couldn't. Lol good find
Yea, should have checked that first before assuming everyone on here is from the Tri-State

Some folks spend money to make their tires smoke out! Good luck OP- I would definitely look at the mechanics of your suspension and wheels to see the root cause of your tire issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #14
Aashenfox
Captain
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valter View Post
Sorry, I know this point has been beaten to death, but there seems to be some doubts about it still.
Pressing the DTC does not turn anything off. It turns DTC on, which is a more permissive setting for traction control, to allow for some slippage. It won't allow the car to do a 180 though, which is what the stability control is for (and is not turned off when DTC is on, repeating).

And my car is not a turbo, but it spins the wheels without the DTC. Much less, of course. But you still have to control your pedal input.
If the wordage is that important to you, fine, reduced DSC, not off. Doesn't change the gist of what I said. Anyway you clearly know how it works, and based on that, you no doubt also know how to get an alignment done, so I kinda ran out of ideas. Good luck with problem

Jaimeson55, based on what you said, I would guess that you do have something wrong...? I cannot slip at all without DSC instantly interfering.

I have 235f, 275r, our roads are very slippery (like glass) even when hot, so in the winter I am constantly feeling the traction control cutting the gas and braking for me as the back tries to step out. I am still getting used to the car, but the more I drive it, the more I have the feeling that I'll be rolling with DTC on and DSC in reduced mode all the time. I was an aggressive S2000 driver (original ap1, no electric assists at all) for three years without a single accident (that's saying something in Greece), and I would actually prefer that the car responds like a car (and steps out when I push), that I can handle, its when the electronics interfere that I get a surprise. I'm getting used to it. Its nice to have options at least.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #15
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

Do you have DTC enabled at startup on your jb4? If so that's why you are not getting traction control cutouts. DTC disables traction control but still leaves DSC enabled which is for preventing side to side movements. Leave both on if you want the car to control traction and stability. You know you could try some throttle control as well..
      02-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #16
Douche
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashenfox View Post
Jaimeson55, based on what you said, I would guess that you do have something wrong...? I cannot slip at all without DSC instantly interfering.
Traction control, not DSC!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:19 AM   #17
jaimeson55
Rep

Just double checked to see if JB4 defaulted the DTC. It's not, when i start the car I do not get the DTC light in the gauges, when I press it I do get the DTC light in the cluster.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #18
Aashenfox
Captain
Greece
Rep

@valter

If you're going to be pedantic, so am I.

DTC is a sub-function of DSC, so its DSC that's interfering.

And I should further qualify that I personally am referring to cornering which is particularly invasive for me, not startup wheelspin.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #19
jaimeson55
Rep

Can the power of the engine overpower the traction control? or could it be working just switching which tire is spinning?

On that note, I don't often leave rubber on the ground to check which is spinning, I might have to try to take off while on concrete to see.

When I do floor it the care drives like a stick of butter on the road, I have to keep the wheel to make sure I don't spin out while going straight.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #20
blown07
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valter View Post
Traction control, not DSC!!!!
He is not wrong as traction control is part of the overal Dynamic Stability Control.

335xi FBO,Meth,JB4,Sutphin flash,VTT stage1 11.38 1/4 - 7.30 1/8th - 3.35 0 to 60 @ 0C
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:23 AM   #21
Jody62
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan, e36 m3/4/5

There is a setting on the JB4 that will automatically turn the DSC and DTC off completely without pressing any buttons at all when you start up the car. I would look on n54tech and be sure you haven't inadvertently set that up. Also, as others have said, have alignment checked. These cars are also set up for handling (i.e. some camber and toe in the rear tires/wheels) so having an alignment shop setting all four corners dead nuts straight is also an option, although your handling would suffer a bit. Good luck figuring it out and keep us updated.
2011 e90 335i; JB4 with BT ConnectKit|Active CP|Active Signature Exhaust|Injen CAI|Active/Burger/Devil's Own custom Meth Kit|Burger OCC|Burger DP|CF grilles|OEM CF mirror covers|JBSpeed splitters and M3 lip spoiler|Umnitza ICE LED Angel eyes|OEM Alpine HiFi audio upgrade|BMW Performance shift knob/e-brake
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #22
Aashenfox
Captain
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimeson55 View Post
Just double checked to see if JB4 defaulted the DTC. It's not, when i start the car I do not get the DTC light in the gauges, when I press it I do get the DTC light in the cluster.
Assuming the JB4 is not interfering with default function in any way shape or form, you have full DSC enabled when you start up the car. This should not let you wheelspin more than a tiny bit when pulling away in a straight line and will not let the back step out more than a tiny bit when cornering hard before catching it for you with braking and gas cutoff. This is default, full safety. If that is not your experience, something is going on.
Appreciate 0