E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Connected Drive retrofit vs Android CarPC

02-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
findlay234
Rep
Drives: e92 330i, Space Grey

Connected Drive retrofit vs Android CarPC

Sooo.... I'm about to pull the trigger on a connected drive retrofit or an Android CarPC.

The context is that I recently (4 months now) bought a very nice low mileage, Nov 2009 registered e92 330i in space grey. Absolutely love it but there are a few things I will be looking to change/improve including the idrive system (as well as 3rd Gen runflats or conventional tyres, handling upgrades and potentially active cruise if its possible).

I think that the idrive system is actually great, the 2009 CIC is actually better than many OEM systems in brand new cars today. What I do notice is that Google mapping with live traffic is just MUCH better and therefore find myself using that if I'm on a long drive and time is of the essence (Gmaps is better at live traffic updating and provinding me with a faster route).

In order to obtain Gmaps I looked into Android CarPC and realised its well within my capabilities to implement but will require a new radio or music solution potentially and a few other complications such as method of input (mouse etc).

I've also looked into a connected drive / combox retrofit to provide live traffic and a number of the other benefits (Bluetooth audio for android, apps, internet, internet radio etc).

What I was hoping for was input on peoples opinions on both solutions... both will come at a cost and therefore i will likely only commit to one so need to.mamake the decision as to which would be better...

Do those of you with connected drive and live traffic find its perfect for your needs or do you find you're still hankering after some of the features that a carpc will give you? Those woth a carpc... do you see and value the other benefits or see the switching over between ideograph to carpc annoying (I assume you loose sone of the contextual car info that the idrive gives ie flat Tyre, low fuel, etc)

Your thoughts very much welcomed!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
findlay234
Rep
Drives: e92 330i, Space Grey

No one? Any thoughts or experience appreciated.

Cheers
Findlay
Appreciate 0