E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 2AA4 and 3100 codes weird

02-09-2015, 11:13 PM   #1
Spacecpe
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Msport

2AA4 and 3100 codes weird

I'm having a little problem with my car and hoping you guys can help me out if it's something that you guys heard before.
So I started getting inlet vanos codes ( 2a98 2a7a 2a7c ), replaced the solenoids and it didn't do anything so I went ahead and got the cam ledges changed out. Everything was set with the timing tools and everything looked good. Now I'm having some trouble withe the 2aa4 code popping out and causing a limp mode but the engine runs smooth no rough idle no nothing just limp mode with no boost obviously. The thing is it's really confusing. The engine light comes on after 20 seconds of starting the car, if you start driving right before that the boost is there and everything is fine. Once the rpms drop to the normal idle value ( 600rpm ish ) let's say when you come to a stop light, the light comes on. I cleaned the inlet sensor and the connector and the impulse sensor too without any improvement, removed the jb4 completely to make sure it's not the harness but nothing. Can't figure out what does that 2AA4 code mean, the description says it's inlet camshaft sensor tooth failure... What tooth ?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #2
Spacecpe
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

No one has any idea what this could be ?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
EMC
rallyroad.net
Rep
Drives: G80x,E90 M3,LTW M3,MCoupe,etc

Did you ever resolve your previous problems?

I too had a "low oil pressure" warning once last week after letting the car sit for a week. Haven't had that low oil pressure warning since.

Now that I have my JB4 installed with a pump gas backend flash, I'm getting the 2A7C and 3100 codes...along with a 29D2 - Misfire, cylinder 6. I'd rather not spend the money on new Vanos solenoids if that's not going to solve the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
Spacecpe
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMC View Post
Did you ever resolve your previous problems?

I too had a "low oil pressure" warning once last week after letting the car sit for a week. Haven't had that low oil pressure warning since.

Now that I have my JB4 installed with a pump gas backend flash, I'm getting the 2A7C and 3100 codes...along with a 29D2 - Misfire, cylinder 6. I'd rather not spend the money on new Vanos solenoids if that's not going to solve the issue.
Has nothing to do with solenoids .. Changed mine and still had the issue until my serpentine belt broke and went inside the engine. Thankfully it didn't get caught up with the timing chain and make the engine skip time but it went into the oil pan and plugged the pickup tube right up. The shop cleaned everything up and changed the camshaft ledges whilst the valve cover was off. I got rid of the oil pressure light and the 2A7A-2A7C errors but now I'm stuck with the 2AA4 code that no one seems to know what it is. Plus the hydrolic lifters are noisy constantly now because of oil starvation I guess .. But I don't think they can cause the 2AA4 code ..
In your case .. Do u have any oil leaks that show up under the car or anywhere that u noticed ? Did your serpentine belt break at some point ?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 12:58 AM   #5
EMC
rallyroad.net
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 M335i View Post
Has nothing to do with solenoids .. Changed mine and still had the issue until my serpentine belt broke and went inside the engine. Thankfully it didn't get caught up with the timing chain and make the engine skip time but it went into the oil pan and plugged the pickup tube right up. The shop cleaned everything up and changed the camshaft ledges whilst the valve cover was off. I got rid of the oil pressure light and the 2A7A-2A7C errors but now I'm stuck with the 2AA4 code that no one seems to know what it is. Plus the hydrolic lifters are noisy constantly now because of oil starvation I guess .. But I don't think they can cause the 2AA4 code ..
In your case .. Do u have any oil leaks that show up under the car or anywhere that u noticed ? Did your serpentine belt break at some point ?
No oil leaks and no broken serpentine belt (that I know of) The front of my motor is spotless.

How the heck does a serpentine belt get inside the oil pan? I've never heard of such a thing.

....Did some reading on this and it sounds like a broken belt will wrap around the crankshaft and push the front seal into the motor and it gets shredded in the process. The N54 is the only engine I've ever heard of this happening to, but it seems that its somewhat common.

Last edited by EMC; 02-15-2015 at 01:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 06:52 PM   #6
EMC
rallyroad.net
Rep

Quote:
Well, after asking specific questions to the previous owner of my 535xiT, I finally got some partial answers.
At first he said he thought the car might have gotten a new serpentine belt. A few minutes later, he said the old belt had broken and was replaced.

There's definitely more to the story. My car hasn't had a single code thrown since I got my JB4 and backend flash sorted, but the low oil pressure warning comes on for a few seconds about every other morning when cold starting in this nasty cold weather.

I swapped the oil pressure sensor on the filter housing and also checked the small o-ring on the oil filter cap. No issues there.

I'm starting to think that dropping the oil pan to check for debris in the pickup is in the near future.

I'll be changing the oil and filter tomorrow since I don't believe it was changed after the serpentine belt "broke" on the previous owner.

Other than this low oil pressure warning on cold start, the car runs flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #7
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

While I haven't personally come across that 2AA4 fault, it most definitely has something to do with the intake cam -- either the sensor gear wasn't aligned properly, or it was damaged. Did the shop have the tool to properly align the sensor gears?
      02-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #8
Spacecpe
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
While I haven't personally come across that 2AA4 fault, it most definitely has something to do with the intake cam -- either the sensor gear wasn't aligned properly, or it was damaged. Did the shop have the tool to properly align the sensor gears?
Yes. I actually stopped by that same day and saw that the guy had the tool there, if he used it on the readings plates .. I don't know that. But I'm really thinking that it's the only thing left to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 07:46 PM   #9
Spacecpe
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMC View Post
Well, after asking specific questions to the previous owner of my 535xiT, I finally got some partial answers.
At first he said he thought the car might have gotten a new serpentine belt. A few minutes later, he said the old belt had broken and was replaced.

There's definitely more to the story. My car hasn't had a single code thrown since I got my JB4 and backend flash sorted, but the low oil pressure warning comes on for a few seconds about every other morning when cold starting in this nasty cold weather.

I swapped the oil pressure sensor on the filter housing and also checked the small o-ring on the oil filter cap. No issues there.

I'm starting to think that dropping the oil pan to check for debris in the pickup is in the near future.

I'll be changing the oil and filter tomorrow since I don't believe it was changed after the serpentine belt "broke" on the previous owner.

Other than this low oil pressure warning on cold start, the car runs flawlessly.
Change your oil and filter .. It might be clogged and causing the light to go off but if it's still there after the oil change I'd park the car and drop the oil pan .. Low oil pressure is not something to ignore. And since you said the previous owner had the belt break on him I'm 98% sure something went inside.
The first time my belt broke, nothing happened I bought a new belt .. I removed the crankshaft pulley just to make sure nothing got in there and it was all good, next thing you know 3 months later it's leaking from there slowly and the oil pressure light is on every cold start. And sure enough a couple weeks after it broke again and the result wasn't pretty. 3600$ later the pan is clean and everything is back in order but this damn 2AA4 is making my life a living hell.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 02:23 PM   #10
EMC
rallyroad.net
Rep

Quote:
Change your oil and filter .. It might be clogged and causing the light to go off but if it's still there after the oil change I'd park the car and drop the oil pan .. Low oil pressure is not something to ignore. And since you said the previous owner had the belt break on him I'm 98% sure something went inside.
The first time my belt broke, nothing happened I bought a new belt .. I removed the crankshaft pulley just to make sure nothing got in there and it was all good, next thing you know 3 months later it's leaking from there slowly and the oil pressure light is on every cold start. And sure enough a couple weeks after it broke again and the result wasn't pretty. 3600$ later the pan is clean and everything is back in order but this damn 2AA4 is making my life a living hell.
I changed my oil and filter yesterday. Didn't notice anything other than dirty oil coming out of the pan. I have yet to cut open the oil filter.

No low oil pressure light this morning. Keeping my fingers crossed, but will likely still pull the pan and remove the pickup for inspection about a month from now. That may be an excuse to install a set of AR Design downpipes...while everything is easy to get to.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 08:48 PM   #11
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Yes. I actually stopped by that same day and saw that the guy had the tool there, if he used it on the readings plates .. I don't know that. But I'm really thinking that it's the only thing left to do.
There's a tool to pin the crank at TDC, there's a tool to block the cams in the proper location, and there's a plate to align the sensor wheels before you crank down the central vanos bolts. If he used all these tools, then maybe something got damaged. Lots of possibilities, really.
      03-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #12
edyuly
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Did you ever get the code 2aa4 sorted?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 05:19 PM   #13
335xi2007
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi e90 n54

Did you locate/solve the problem (2aa4) 335 e90 n54

Hi! Thanks for sharing your issues with your car, it is so frustrating when you spend thousands $$$$ at the dealership only to still have the same problem. I was pretty bummed when I got to the end of the thread and there wasn't a follow up re: how/if you solved the issue. Did you give up and get rid of the car? I'm experiencing the same issues!!

2007 335xi e90 n54
100,000 miles
REPLACED: 2 solenoids, 2 check valves, 2 camshaft sensors.
*dealership then replaced camshaft bearing ledge and vanos unit. Cost ~ $2k

it didn't fix the issue and it's throwing code 2aa4.
symptoms: engine stalling, rough idle, limp mode.

Any ideas?
Thank you!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #14
Franzein
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Any update to this, having the same issue??
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #15
Franzein
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Any help, car still has 2aa4??
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 01:37 AM   #16
Franzein
Private First Class
Rep