European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

02-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
David W
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - Austin Yellow

Connected Drive Update

When purchasing my Austin Yellow M4 I ticked all the boxes including Connected Drive.
You've really got to wonder if anyone in BMW Australia said to Germany before the launch - "hey this doesn't work well. Why are we advertising Connected Drive as a must have feature when it actually stinks?"
I am into gadgets and I've got to say that trying to use BMW approved apps using this system was a nightmare. Case in point being the lap timer app that would switch itself off (for my safety no doubt) when you select drive - go figure a lap timer app that doesn't work when you are moving.
I struggled to be able to access my iPhone 6 messages, calendar, e-mails, Facebook etc.
And the little bit I did know seemed to be much more than the combined local dealership knowledge. At least that didn't surprise me.
Out of frustration I contacted BMW Melbourne and they flick passed me to BMW Sydney. This wasn't the dealer where I bought my M4 but because of the subsequent excellent service I have ordered the new M2 through them.

The "expert" there said that they were waiting for an upgrade for connected drive from Germany. A lot of the advertised stuff we don't get in Australia is because of the Australian Design Rules. At least that's the reasoning. And of course BMW Australia makes no mention of what doesn't work when they are promoting it.

I got the phone call mid January and they took the car overnight.
The difference was immediate. The lap timer now works (the screen does not show anything useful but the timer works well in the background) and the other apps come up immediately and are at last easy to access.
I can access my phone messages, my e-mails, calendar and Facebook as well as the go pro app. The go pro app is pretty redundant if you are able to connect by wireless with your phone.

The internet speed and inability to play youtube videos of anything more than a tiny size hasn't changed. It is a real shame that this feature is so poor.
In pretty much all cases it would be quicker to pull over and do it on your phone.

So for those of you that have been frustrated with Connected Drive then here is the answer. Just don't expect it to rectify everything.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 10:18 PM   #2
BLKM4
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Hi David: Is there a version# for this update so I can ask the service department? Thanks!

[edit] Same as below attachment?
Attached Images

Last edited by BLKM4; 02-22-2015 at 04:05 AM.. Reason: Added attachment
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
Merli
Sunburnt Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Will this software upgrade install 55.0 pzData onto our cars, rendering them unable to be coded through eSys?

My Sony Xperia Z3 Compact works fine (emails, SMS, music, etc) with the version of software the car was delivered with in December 2014. It was only the iPhones that didn't work.

The one feature I desperately want to figure out how to turn on is the Speed Limit Information display, but apparently you need some special unlock code from BMW AG, and this can't just be coded on through eSys

Past: 2009 Ibis White S5 (APR Supercharged V8)
Past: 2004 Imola Red M3 Convertible
Appreciate 0