E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Transmission Tick in certain gears. Help

02-08-2015, 12:08 PM   #1
marinerd
Addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Transmission Tick in certain gears. Help

This is related to another thread about a tick that is NOT the lifter issue. Figured I start a new one because its not the engine, but the transmission I believe. Although you can hear it standing over the engine. It's 100% louder from under the vehicle, in the tranny area. The video below is borrowed from that OP because it's my exact same noise.

Ok, I've figured it out.....well sorta. Yesterday I went ahead and cleaned my Vanos Soleniods(which btw be careful you don't drop on of the screw holding them in place cause you'll end up ripping appart all the plastic crap under car only to find out it fell into the radiator electric fan, RGGRRGGGH!!) which did nothing to the sound.

So I decided to try and figure out exactly when it was happening. It ONLY ticks like the video in the OP when the car is in PARK and in NEUTRAL WHILE idling, NOT if your revving it. In DRIVE and REVERSE it does not. What's interesting as well is when you get into on of the gears that is doesn't tick then back into either PARK or NEUTRAL it's quiet for about 3-5 seconds then starts again. So, I'd say its definitely something in the transmission, thus maybe why no codes are thrown.

Anyone have any idea what it would be? Torque converter? Could maybe a drain and refill of fresh fluid solve this?

Credit to rossmatt06 for the video

02-11-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
marinerd
Addicted
United_States
Rep

Wow, no one? Must be extremely isolated. How lucky am I.
      02-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I'd responded to the other thread with my experience. Still waiting on others to respond, would really like to determine if this is normal or not. Knowing the dealership they'll say it is but in my eyes it shouldn't be.
      02-13-2015, 06:22 PM   #4
marinerd
Addicted
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianoak View Post
I'd responded to the other thread with my experience. Still waiting on others to respond, would really like to determine if this is normal or not. Knowing the dealership they'll say it is but in my eyes it shouldn't be.
I agree. If EVERY vehicle were exhibiting the same I'd say whatever, but its not the case. I'm wondering if a drain and refill of tranny fluid would do anything. I was thinking to do that anyway. I didn't have the noise when I first bought the car at 40k.
      02-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #5
phillycx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i sedan

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I posted in the other thread as well. Subscribed to both...

Quote:
I have the same ticking sound and own a 2009 328i sedan with about 60k miles. I took it to the dealer while it was under warranty and had it looked at by BMW in Towson, MD. I was told the sound was normal, but they did perform some work on the the belts/pulleys I believe. The ticking sound is still present. I was also told by my personal mechanic who is a BMW certified mechanic that the sound is normal. I will be subscribing to this thread for sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 12:37 AM   #6
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
In the other thread I'd commented that the sound went away last weekend after a fairly long weekend road trip... Three hour drive either way averaging about 65 mph. Normally I drive about 15 miles at a time and never get over 60, so to go for three hours is a bit long for me. Anyway, after five days the ticking is still gone. Checked it this morning after a cold start... Let it idle and nothing. Just the normal lifter tick and whir from the belts. Wonder if the solenoid comment somebody else mentioned is correct. Maybe the longer drive dislodged something or caused enough fluid to flow threw to finally get rid of it?