E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Blower Motor Fuse

02-07-2015, 07:36 AM   #1
shamu2789
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 '07

Blower Motor Fuse

Well, there is no time like winter to have the HVAC system call it quits. I'm having issue with the blower motor it seems, as I discovered through a little reasearch, or so I think. I had the blower replaced two years ago so I'm hoping its just a fuse. The electronic system works, lights go on and can adjust the heater settings, but the blower doesn't come on. I tried fuse 88 and it seemed fine. Can anyone identify any other fuses that should be checked? The local dealer is closed for service on the weekends. Thanks!

View post on imgur.com
      02-07-2015, 08:33 AM   #2
KeepRidingDirty
Professional Monkey Trainer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamu2789 View Post
Well, there is no time like winter to have the HVAC system call it quits. I'm having issue with the blower motor it seems, as I discovered through a little reasearch, or so I think. I had the blower replaced two years ago so I'm hoping its just a fuse. The electronic system works, lights go on and can adjust the heater settings, but the blower doesn't come on. I tried fuse 88 and it seemed fine. Can anyone identify any other fuses that should be checked? The local dealer is closed for service on the weekends. Thanks!

View post on imgur.com
Your battery might need a charge. I had this problem that when my car is on the blower doesn't work unless on defrost. The car shuts on non essential systems in order to save power so the car will start the next time, the blower motor is first. Try turning defrost on and if it works the battery is your issue, if not its probably the FSU which is $150 and a $10 mins job.
      02-07-2015, 08:49 AM   #3
shamu2789
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRidingDirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamu2789 View Post

View post on imgur.com
Your battery might need a charge. I had this problem that when my car is on the blower doesn't work unless on defrost. The car shuts on non essential systems in order to save power so the car will start the next time, the blower motor is first. Try turning defrost on and if it works the battery is your issue, if not its probably the FSU which is $150 and a $10 mins job.
Hey thanks for the reply. I tried that and had no luck. I was at the dealers a few weeks ago for an issue with a battery cable which seems to be fixed. Maybe it's related, I'm not sure.
      02-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #4
djjasper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i 6MT

My issue was the wires into the connector to the blower. The insulation was cracked and it was shorting out.

EDIT: I'm going to replace the FSU which still works but probably isn't supposed to be frying the wires in the connector going into it...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
shamu2789
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjasper View Post
My issue was the wires into the connector to the blower. The insulation was cracked and it was shorting out.
Oh wow. It seems like I will have to make a trip to the dealer regardless. I would attempt to work on it at home, but we have a winterstorm heading our way. Guess I will hope for an appointment at the dealer early next week and wipe the frost off the windshield the old school way!
      02-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #6
xijonix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 3 Series xDrive

Mine died the other morning and it was a pain to deal with -22 degrees C out in the morning and had to take it to the dealer which proved to be a dangerous mission as I drive it the vehicle would fog up and the fog/condensation on the inside would freeze on all the windows making visibility non existent. It for me ended up being the blower motor as water got to it multiple times and finally killed it where the blower motor won't turn over. If you can order the part I'd say buy the part elsewhere and install it in 20 min. It cost me, cause I needed my vehicle right away to use for the day, $580 part and labour at the dealer inc. Diagnosing fees. These blower motors you can pick them up for about ~$70. Remove panel under the glove box remove the old blower and install the new it's simple and will save you a ton.

If you can I'd recommend unplugging the blower motor and check the voltage at the end when it's engaged. That'll let you know if it's blower motor or something else like wiring/fuse etc...

BMW E90 LCI
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
shamu2789
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xijonix View Post
Mine died the other morning and it was a pain to deal with -22 degrees C out in the morning and had to take it to the dealer which proved to be a dangerous mission as I drive it the vehicle would fog up and the fog/condensation on the inside would freeze on all the windows making visibility non existent. It for me ended up being the blower motor as water got to it multiple times and finally killed it where the blower motor won't turn over. If you can order the part I'd say buy the part elsewhere and install it in 20 min. It cost me, cause I needed my vehicle right away to use for the day, $580 part and labour at the dealer inc. Diagnosing fees. These blower motors you can pick them up for about ~$70. Remove panel under the glove box remove the old blower and install the new it's simple and will save you a ton.

If you can I'd recommend unplugging the blower motor and check the voltage at the end when it's engaged. That'll let you know if it's blower motor or something else like wiring/fuse etc...
Thanks for the reply. I would tackle it myself but I need the car for work ASAP and with the storms we have been getting hit with in the Northeast, its more convenient. I was hoping it was just a fuse that I could swap out, but from your response and others, it can be a multitude of things! Just bad timing. Not even sure if the dealership will have any open spots/loaner vehicles in the next few days which just adds to the issue.
      02-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #8
shamu2789
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: Went to the dealer today and they fixed the issue. Turned out to be a defective blower regulator or FSU as someone had mentioned. Total was about $300 but I only paid $50 with my third party warranty. They also had to change the serpentine belt and tensioner which was the second time in three years which was slightly frustrating. Supposedly the belt was slipping and I didn't want to run into more severe issues so I just had it done as well. Thanks for all the help. Having heat in the winter is definitely nice! haha