E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335xi Clutch Slipping + JB4 Issues

02-04-2015, 08:27 AM   #1
buly34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335xi 6MT

Exclamation 335xi Clutch Slipping + JB4 Issues

I have a 2007 335xi Sedan with the JB4, DCI, and VRS Catless Downpipes. I recently noticed that in 3rd and 4th gear I'm getting clutch slipping around 4k-5k RPM's. I'm not having any issues in 1st or 2nd gear yet but I know it won't be long until it needs to be replaced. I'm trying to find out if anyone else has replaced their clutch with the following product and if there is anything currently better on the market...CLUTCH LINK. I am also wondering what this clutch is rated for as far as HP and TQ. My last dyno run was 344WHP and 380WTQ. I plan on upgrading my Exhaust, FMIC, Charge pipe, and eventually the Turbos and supporting mods. I don't want to have to replace the clutch again in a year so I want to do this the right way.

My next question is with the JB4 tune. It has always been slightly rough above 100mph if I try to really floor it. I have reached 145mph easily but it gets very rough. Without the tune I can reach the same speeds (not as quickly obviously) and it's very smooth. Last night when I discovered my clutch slipping I checked all the gears (Slipped in 3rd-6th Variably) and 6th gear gave me a serious problem. I eased onto the throttle around 2.5k RPM's and took it up to around 5.5k when I felt a lurch and the ca stopped pulling and gave me the "Half lit engine light." I immediately slowed down and tried to shift into 3rd to continue driving when I REALIZED THE CAR WASN'T EVEN ON ANYMORE! I coasted to a stop and tried to restart it but had a misfire issue. I turned if off again and removed the key. Started it back up and it was fine again, what is going on here????

If anyone can help me with either of these issues please let me know!

Thanks in advance!
      02-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #2
drewnel22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by buly34 View Post
I have a 2007 335xi Sedan with the JB4, DCI, and VRS Catless Downpipes. I recently noticed that in 3rd and 4th gear I'm getting clutch slipping around 4k-5k RPM's. I'm not having any issues in 1st or 2nd gear yet but I know it won't be long until it needs to be replaced. I'm trying to find out if anyone else has replaced their clutch with the following product and if there is anything currently better on the market...CLUTCH LINK. I am also wondering what this clutch is rated for as far as HP and TQ. My last dyno run was 344WHP and 380WTQ. I plan on upgrading my Exhaust, FMIC, Charge pipe, and eventually the Turbos and supporting mods. I don't want to have to replace the clutch again in a year so I want to do this the right way.

My next question is with the JB4 tune. It has always been slightly rough above 100mph if I try to really floor it. I have reached 145mph easily but it gets very rough. Without the tune I can reach the same speeds (not as quickly obviously) and it's very smooth. Last night when I discovered my clutch slipping I checked all the gears (Slipped in 3rd-6th Variably) and 6th gear gave me a serious problem. I eased onto the throttle around 2.5k RPM's and took it up to around 5.5k when I felt a lurch and the ca stopped pulling and gave me the "Half lit engine light." I immediately slowed down and tried to shift into 3rd to continue driving when I REALIZED THE CAR WASN'T EVEN ON ANYMORE! I coasted to a stop and tried to restart it but had a misfire issue. I turned if off again and removed the key. Started it back up and it was fine again, what is going on here????

If anyone can help me with either of these issues please let me know!

Thanks in advance!
Look into the 335is clutch. Its much cheaper and has slightly more than OEM feel while holding more torque than the stock one. I bet the driveability would be much worse with the clutch you are looking at.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
KeepRidingDirty
Professional Monkey Trainer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10splaya22 View Post
Look into the 335is clutch. Its much cheaper and has slightly more than OEM feel while holding more torque than the stock one. I bet the driveability would be much worse with the clutch you are looking at.
I agree, I have a 2007 335xi and I put a 335is clutch in my car. I'm FBO (except downpipes) and my clutch holds great. I recommend it.
      02-04-2015, 06:43 PM   #4
theduker456
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Xdrive

How often do you hit 5000 rpm in 4th gear? Isn't that like 100 mph? Man I drive slow. Maybe I'll try this tomorrow on the way to work.

"Sorry officer, I was just seeing if my clutch slips. Have a nice day."
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
buly34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335xi 6MT

Thanks guys I'll check out the 335is clutch. And yes it was quick, I tend to hit at least 120 everyday on my way to class (145 is my record so far)