E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Strange instrument cluster warning light?

02-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #1
supercharged86
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Strange instrument cluster warning light?

Hi Guys, Had a strange, never seen before, warning light pop up on the center instrument cluster this morning. I've looked all over for an explanation, but to no avail. It was a symbol of a foot and pedal? The car was already running and no matter what I did it wouldn't go out. I shut the car down and restarted and it didn't come back. I should of snapped a picture but didn't think of it at the time. Any thoughts? Thanks. Steve
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

Do you have a manual. I have seen it before when I have cruise control on and push in my clutch to coast to a stop before pushing brake. For example, cruise control on at 55 mph in 6th gear and approaching a toll booth. I usually just push in the clutch, put it in neutral and coast in. When I do that I get that symbol until I touch the brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
55Nomad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Coupe

According to the 2011 3 Series Coupe manual ...

Cause:

Brake signal malfunctioning: gear can be engaged without depressing the brake

What to do:

To engage a gear while the vehicle is at a standstill, always step on the brake. Switch off the engine before leaving the vehicle. Have the system checked as soon as possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 01:08 PM   #4
supercharged86
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk36 View Post
Do you have a manual. I have seen it before when I have cruise control on and push in my clutch to coast to a stop before pushing brake. For example, cruise control on at 55 mph in 6th gear and approaching a toll booth. I usually just push in the clutch, put it in neutral and coast in. When I do that I get that symbol until I touch the brake.
Mine is an a automatic. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercharged86 View Post
Hi Guys, Had a strange, never seen before, warning light pop up on the center instrument cluster this morning. I've looked all over for an explanation, but to no avail. It was a symbol of a foot and pedal? The car was already running and no matter what I did it wouldn't go out. I shut the car down and restarted and it didn't come back. I should of snapped a picture but didn't think of it at the time. Any thoughts? Thanks. Steve
next time u need to get cc id (Check Control ID) number for an easier google search. Use the BC stalk to toggle to Check Control and bring up the error symbol in the Kombi. Once the picture of the issue is showing you need to press and hold the BC Stalk button for about 5 seconds and it will then show u "CC ID ###" where # is some number

then do a google search for "e90 cc id xxx"
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 05:57 AM   #6
supercharged86
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
next time u need to get cc id (Check Control ID) number for an easier google search. Use the BC stalk to toggle to Check Control and bring up the error symbol in the Kombi. Once the picture of the issue is showing you need to press and hold the BC Stalk button for about 5 seconds and it will then show u "CC ID ###" where # is some number

then do a google search for "e90 cc id xxx"

Thanks Fazman, I'm assuming do the CC ID while the "error" is current and present on the center screen?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercharged86 View Post
Thanks Fazman, I'm assuming do the CC ID while the "error" is current and present on the center screen?
As long as u can find the error in the Check Control, then u can get a CC ID number for it. So yes... It needs to be presently active issue.
Appreciate 0