F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT indexing of external USB audio
Extreme Powerhouse

02-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #1
philmcgee
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 320iA High Executive

NBT indexing of external USB audio

I use a 480GB SSD under the armrest of my F31 for USB audio. I recently deleted some MP3 files on it and replaced them by FLAC files of the same albums in the same directory structure. The car refused to play the new files as it didn't re-index the drive and see the change from .mp3 to .flac file extensions - it just thought the mp3 file had disappeared. It looks like the car relies on its cache of the index rather than what's really in the directory.

Renaming the SSD with a new name forced a (lengthy) complete re-index process and I could then play the files. I'm wondering, however, if anybody knows a way to force a re-index from within iDrive so I don't have to keep renaming the SSD every time I change files on it?

(Before anybody says that iDrive doesn't play FLAC, it does since a recent software update so that's not the issue).
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

GREAT question...I also wondering how would the car recognize new files added as well? I plan to add a 1tb drive and update it every few weeks as I add new music.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 02:11 PM   #3
Dutch116
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmcgee View Post
I use a 480GB SSD under the armrest of my F31 for USB audio. I recently deleted some MP3 files on it and replaced them by FLAC files of the same albums in the same directory structure. The car refused to play the new files as it didn't re-index the drive and see the change from .mp3 to .flac file extensions - it just thought the mp3 file had disappeared. It looks like the car relies on its cache of the index rather than what's really in the directory.

Renaming the SSD with a new name forced a (lengthy) complete re-index process and I could then play the files. I'm wondering, however, if anybody knows a way to force a re-index from within iDrive so I don't have to keep renaming the SSD every time I change files on it?

(Before anybody says that iDrive doesn't play FLAC, it does since a recent software update so that's not the issue).
I think it depends on the size of the external HDD. personally, i use a 64 gig usb stick and when i add some new files on it, it takes up between 5 and 30 minutes before the system recognizes the new added files. I don't think you can force this action.
Appreciate 0