E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Fix a flat and TPMS don't mix well...

02-01-2015, 08:34 AM   #1
Gizm0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt

Fix a flat and TPMS don't mix well...

Hey guys,

I was out of town a few days ago and drove over a nail, started losing pressure slowly in my passenger rear tire. I don't have run flats so I thought it would be a good idea to have a can of fix a flat in my trunk at all times for occasions like this... I emptied the can in the tire, pressurized the tire back up to 35psi.

While it worked slowing down the leak rate enough to get me to a tire repair shop without having to call AAA, it ended up messing up the TPMS...

Lesson learned.

Can I just buy a replacement TPMS and have a local tire shop put it on or does it have to be coded by BMW?
      02-01-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
.mark
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 335i M Sport

You can just buy a replacement TPMS and have a local shop throw it on. No coding needed
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

I have fix a flat. I know the tpms isse but I can't run a spare
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

I have found that the best solution is to carry tire plugs and a cheap air compressor. No mess. You stick the plug in the tire from the outside, then pump it up again. When you get time you go to the tire shop and have them replace the plug with an inside patch.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizm0 View Post
Hey guys,

I was out of town a few days ago and drove over a nail, started losing pressure slowly in my passenger rear tire. I don't have run flats so I thought it would be a good idea to have a can of fix a flat in my trunk at all times for occasions like this... I emptied the can in the tire, pressurized the tire back up to 35psi.

While it worked slowing down the leak rate enough to get me to a tire repair shop without having to call AAA, it ended up messing up the TPMS...

Lesson learned.

Can I just buy a replacement TPMS and have a local tire shop put it on or does it have to be coded by BMW?
More details please? What had actually failed in the TPMS? As far as i know the tpms sensor is a simple 2 piece system. Its a rectangular block with no external wires, has a built in battery, and communicates wirelessly. The second piece is the valve stem, which screws onto the sensor and thru the rim. You can buy a replacement valve stem from AAP for $4 (i highly recommend replacing the stem each time the tire is dismounted because the stem kit also includes a rebuild kit with all new rubber bits).

So its hard for me to understand that a self contained sensor broke (it might just need to be removed and cleaned of all that fix a flat gunk) i've washed my sensors with soft soap and warm water to make them look brand new in the past.

If your sensor is truly failed and you do replace it... I would like you to keep your busted sensor and mail it to me to see what i can do to revive it cuz its going to be a problem for others as well and i would like to have a solution or reason for the failure to discuss.
Appreciate 0