BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

01-31-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan S

Dilemma, advice required: X5/6M or ML63AMG or Cayenne Turbo/S or RRS?

Hi guys, I am thinking of getting an SUV, a fast one, and my choices have narrowed down to the X5/6M, ML63AMG, G55/63AMG, Porsche Cayenne Turbo/S, and Range Rover Sport/Autobiography. I need your opinion guys! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
princelybug
Second Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '11 LBM E90 335i M-Sport

I'd eliminate MB. They're fast, but not a "driver's" SUV.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 09:06 PM   #3
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_bimmer View Post
Hi guys, I am thinking of getting an SUV, a fast one, and my choices have narrowed down to the X5/6M, ML63AMG, G55/63AMG, Porsche Cayenne Turbo/S, and Range Rover Sport/Autobiography. I need your opinion guys! Thanks.
It's a BMW forum, so I can guess where this is going to go... ;p

You need to be more specific about your preferences tho, and how much you care about:

- Straight line performance
- Track / twisty performance
- Electronics (buttons, toys, latest stuff)
- Practicality
- Off road ability
- Future resale value
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg
Quote:
It's a BMW forum, so I can guess where this is going to go... ;p

You need to be more specific about your preferences tho, and how much you care about:

- Straight line performance
- Track / twisty performance
- Electronics (buttons, toys, latest stuff)
- Practicality
- Off road ability
- Future resale value
Well, a bit more clarity, will be driving mostly alone or with a girl around NYC, NJ, mostly daily commute, occasional interstate driving, will be leasing, occasional track days. Personally gravitate toward BMW M but love AMG sound, can judge about Cayenne and RRS only from the online reviews, will be test driving most of them in the coming weeks. Cayenne is said to be a decent competitor and doesn't feel like Touareg at all, RRS looks very old school and plain. I just want to get the best package overall in this price range. Not a big fan of SUVs though, it's the local weather that makes me consider one. Currently drive 435i xD in M-sport. Wanted to get M4 or C63AMG but again, NY is not the best place to drive powerful RWDs especially with all those potholes in the city.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

I used to have X6 3.0D a few years ago and really enjoyed the ride so my experience with SUVs is very limited, I kept it for a about a year, but sold it as I was getting e92 M3. That's pretty much all the experience I have with SUVs, so pardon my lack of proper knowledge
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 12:20 AM   #6
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

So having compared, ordered, and/or owned all of these, the BMW comes out on top for bang for the buck and overall driver's experience.

Range Rover completely turned me off. Their arrogance, atrocious rates, long lead times, horrible tech, and overall reliability make them the lowest on this list. They are gorgeous and definitely turn heads (the new SVR is tempting me), but I'd rather waste that money on other things.

MB has an interesting lineup right now. Most of their vehicles are about to get refreshed in some way or another. I've never liked the AMG SUVs for a number of reasons, mostly those who actually drive them.

Porsche is the strongest contender. I just can't stand their cabins. Way too many controls and buttons. More of a drivers car, but less ergonomic. The tech is also pretty bad. (Important to me.) Also the options list is pretty ridiculous when you order a car. My partner and I have owned a Turbo S which we custom ordered and did European delivery on. The dealer forgot an option out of the **115** choices we made and I ultimately didn't take the car - made them rebuild it. $200K loss for them, and frankly they weren't so pleased which ultimately soured our relationship.

I considered the new Cayenne, but I'm still not overall impressed with it. There's just something about the car that seems like I'm paying more for something that on paper competes less with the X5 M.

I have an X5 M on order. I think of this entire bunch the value, technology, driving dynamics, and overall ownership experience are better. I keep toying with the idea of switching brands but I keep coming back to BMW.
      02-01-2015, 09:33 AM   #7
m5sdse63
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer
So having compared, ordered, and/or owned all of these, the BMW comes out on top for bang for the buck and overall driver's experience.

Range Rover completely turned me off. Their arrogance, atrocious rates, long lead times, horrible tech, and overall reliability make them the lowest on this list. They are gorgeous and definitely turn heads (the new SVR is tempting me), but I'd rather waste that money on other things.

MB has an interesting lineup right now. Most of their vehicles are about to get refreshed in some way or another. I've never liked the AMG SUVs for a number of reasons, mostly those who actually drive them.

Porsche is the strongest contender. I just can't stand their cabins. Way too many controls and buttons. More of a drivers car, but less ergonomic. The tech is also pretty bad. (Important to me.) Also the options list is pretty ridiculous when you order a car. My partner and I have owned a Turbo S which we custom ordered and did European delivery on. The dealer forgot an option out of the **115** choices we made and I ultimately didn't take the car - made them rebuild it. $200K loss for them, and frankly they weren't so pleased which ultimately soured our relationship.

I considered the new Cayenne, but I'm still not overall impressed with it. There's just something about the car that seems like I'm paying more for something that on paper competes less with the X5 M.

I have an X5 M on order. I think of this entire bunch the value, technology, driving dynamics, and overall ownership experience are better. I keep toying with the idea of switching brands but I keep coming back to BMW.
Very well summed up!

2014 M6
2015 i3
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer

Great comparison notes! Thank you! I will definitely need to test drive all of these cars, hope that dealers around the area have them available.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #9
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Your going to track your selection?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #10
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Your going to track your selection?
You mean will I be taking them to a race track? Perhaps
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 12:59 AM   #11
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Can't find any video comparisons of these cars, the closest one is by some German auto magazine but they don't have MB in there, and I can't understand half of what those guys are saying
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 07:54 AM   #12
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post

Interesting suggestion, well stated. Personally I would go with the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S with personal likings you want to choose. I feel its the better of the two, but I'm not a fan of Porsche Cayennes. I've driven them both including the ML 6.3AMG & the Jeep SRT, for all balls out fast I would say if Jeep SRT came with the 6.4 Hellcat, I would jump on that. The MB AMG is out, nothing refined or not even attractive looking. Porsche and BMW are really the only High Performance SUV/SAV that are really worth looking at. The complaint I have for BMW is that you can't personalize it more to your liking like Porsche. Range Rover, not even an option to look at unless you want to visit the Service Department more often. Just my two cents.
Good Luck with your choice

Joe
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2015, 09:58 PM   #13
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsjr70
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post

Interesting suggestion, well stated. Personally I would go with the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S with personal likings you want to choose. I feel its the better of the two, but I'm not a fan of Porsche Cayennes. I've driven them both including the ML 6.3AMG & the Jeep SRT, for all balls out fast I would say if Jeep SRT came with the 6.4 Hellcat, I would jump on that. The MB AMG is out, nothing refined or not even attractive looking. Porsche and BMW are really the only High Performance SUV/SAV that are really worth looking at. The complaint I have for BMW is that you can't personalize it more to your liking like Porsche. Range Rover, not even an option to look at unless you want to visit the Service Department more often. Just my two cents.
Good Luck with your choice

Joe
Thank you for your suggestions! Appreciate it! Look forward to test driving at least RRS and Cayenne Turbo S this weekend. If I get enough time will try to test drive MB as well. Will keep you guys posted on my impressions.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 07:33 PM   #14
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Ok folks, some update. Went to test drive RRS, they didn't have one with 5.0 liter engine, instead they gave me a used 2014 RRS with 3.0(?) liter supercharged engine, verdict - no RRS for me. Too heavy and too slow, that engine is too small for that body. It's not the right attitude, in my opinion, to make a customer test drive a smoke reeking used car when he clearly indicated his intentions, and that their car is going to be compared to Cayenne, AMG and M. Porsche was quite impressive, but I must say that I test drove a 911 Carrera and that stole the fire from Cayenne S and Macan Turbo. But both latter cars were quite jolly fast. Went to BMW and they didn't have an X6M for a test drive, so will have to wait. Same story with MBs. Bottom line, will have to wait for X6M to arrive at dealerships and test drive it back to back with Cayenne S and ML63AMG. RR was a let down, may be it is a great car in its class, but I expected a better service from a company charging such a steep premium.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #15
Pevvex
Rep
Drives: M

Arrow Just test drive all three

Quote:
All the advices including mine are useless for u because all three are very different and we are also very different as humans.
I am. Not saying advice from this forum are bad just may not suits u best.
For example ......
I would advice u to forget MB because has low quality like US cars and drives bad not comperable to BMW or Porsche even.
Porsche for me is just ugly more expensive Audi better quality inside and the only real Porsche is 911. So my advices won't help u at all.
But.....
I can definitly advice u to organize test drive each of the cars same day if u could.
I did that with few cars before and nothing gives better answer straight away.
If u are able to drive all three cars same day I bet all my money u going to find the answer very fast.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 05:30 PM   #16
ydoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2

Quote:
My X5M was fun on the track:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-13-2015, 12:53 AM   #17
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pevvex
Quote:
All the advices including mine are useless for u because all three are very different and we are also very different as humans.
I am. Not saying advice from this forum are bad just may not suits u best.
For example ......
I would advice u to forget MB because has low quality like US cars and drives bad not comperable to BMW or Porsche even.
Porsche for me is just ugly more expensive Audi better quality inside and the only real Porsche is 911. So my advices won't help u at all.
But.....
I can definitly advice u to organize test drive each of the cars same day if u could.
I did that with few cars before and nothing gives better answer straight away.
If u are able to drive all three cars same day I bet all my money u going to find the answer very fast.
Thank you! You are right indeed. I am planning to do just that
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 12:54 AM   #18
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoc
Quote:
My X5M was fun on the track:
Wow, that elevation drop looks a bit like a corkscrew of Laguna Seca! I bet it was a very good fun thanks for the pic!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #19
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

A great dilemma to have. If you want bang for the buck, if that even applies to $100k plus SUV's, the BMW X5 M is the better choice. If you want a better name and an overall better performing car, Porsche Turbo S is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #20
deadlyrhythm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW X5d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_bimmer
Can't find any video comparisons of these cars, the closest one is by some German auto magazine but they don't have MB in there, and I can't understand half of what those guys are saying
Half? How about more like 99%?

Other than NEIN!!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #21
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

I can't imagine tracking a G55. As others said, I think it should be between an x6M and a Cayenne Turbo S. Both are very different cars both in terms of handling (IMHO) and design and I think you will know after a test drive which one appeals more to you.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #22
leonghank
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5; R34 GT-R; Megane RS275

I would say the new face-lifted Cayenne GTS
Appreciate 0