F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Background noise from front mid range speakers
Extreme Powerhouse

01-29-2015, 09:16 PM   #1
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Background noise from front mid range speakers

Hi,

My car is F20 M-Sport with HiFi speaker systems and also a combox unit in the boot.

I experienced that there is some background noise (sound like the backgroud noise of FM radio, sa.sa.sa.sa.) coming from the front mid range speakers, both L and R.

The noise is not very loud but very obvious when you close the door/windows and engine off. The most interesting thing is even the head unit is off, the noise still exists. Why?? When playing music, it also exists.

To eliminate the chance of having affected by the environment, I drove my car to some other places and the problem still exists.

Recently, I upgraded the speaker by adding a pair of Harmon Kardon tweeters. The noise still exists and it is amplified, bcoz of these 2 extra speakers added.

Head unit problem? Combox problem? Line plug problem?

Anybody have an idea why is that and how to solve?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Does it kinda sound like a scraping sound? I have that noise coming from the dash area. Thought it was the hard drive, but dealer says no.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 09:38 PM   #3
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Does it kinda sound like a scraping sound? I have that noise coming from the dash area. Thought it was the hard drive, but dealer says no.
Mike_L,

Thanks for your input.

When I put my ear very close to the speakers on the front door (either HK tweeter or mid-range), I can hear very clearly the noise. So, I'm sure it is coming from the speakers.

Previous, I thought that it is the sound from the fan of the head unit bcoz the sound is very similar to it. Later I verified, it is not.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 10:16 PM   #4
joeyaoyp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M-Sport 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolala View Post
Mike_L,

Thanks for your input.

When I put my ear very close to the speakers on the front door (either HK tweeter or mid-range), I can hear very clearly the noise. So, I'm sure it is coming from the speakers.

Previous, I thought that it is the sound from the fan of the head unit bcoz the sound is very similar to it. Later I verified, it is not.
It does on my F36 too.......香港人你好!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 02:07 AM   #5
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyaoyp View Post
It does on my F36 too.......香港人你好!
Hi joeyaoyp,

Any idea to solve this? Since mine already out of warranty, I cannot ask dealer to check the issue for free.

你是美國人嗎?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
joeyaoyp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M-Sport 2008

Quote:
Hi joeyaoyp,

Any idea to solve this? Since mine already out of warranty, I cannot ask dealer to check the issue for free.

你是美國人嗎?
不是啊。正宗中国人!
Well, I have no idea and i dont really care since I am planning to upgrade my system with aftermarket speaker and amps. Like to see if this will solve the problem!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 12:09 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

The iDrive unit turns on as soon as you open a door/trunk and turns off up to 8 minutes after closing the doors/trunk -regardless is the engine is on or not.

So your noise is coming from the iDrive unit.

Quote:

The noise is not very loud but very obvious when you close the door/windows and engine off. The most interesting thing is even the head unit is off, the noise still exists. Why?? When playing music, it also exists.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 01:12 PM   #8
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The iDrive unit turns on as soon as you open a door/trunk and turns off up to 8 minutes after closing the doors/trunk -regardless is the engine is on or not.

So your noise is coming from the iDrive unit.
I think so.

I'm going to upgrade the basic head unit to NBT, and so the answer will come out soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #9
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Hi,

Just to report the result.

I've just retrofitted NBT head unit, i.e. replaced the basic head unit. The background noise still comes out as before. I'm in confident that the noise is not created by the head unit since I've changed new head unit, nor it is not created by the Combox in the trunk since it is completely powered off already.

Then, it is the problem of speaker wiring work? I don't think so, because both left and right mid range speakers in the front have the noise at the same time. The probability for BOTH to have problem is low.

Weird!
Appreciate 0