F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Sound system question
Extreme Powerhouse

01-25-2015, 01:30 AM   #1
joeyaoyp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M-Sport 2008

Sound system question

hi everyone, I just got my 2015 435i Gran coupe, I love it expect the sound system, it is the basic 9 speaker system and it is suck!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am planing to replace the speakers with BAVSOUND and planing to get a amp. Did any one did this? Also what Amp should i choose and how can I connect it with Idrive? Waiting for your help!!!THX

Last edited by joeyaoyp; 01-25-2015 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 03:34 AM   #2
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Read the threads all around this one. You don't even need to search.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 05:03 AM   #3
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

I think it would sound better if you sing to yourself.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2015, 12:25 PM   #4
joeyaoyp
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul223 View Post
I think it would sound better if you sing to yourself.
You can do it better than me!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #5
doobienewbiedoo
Rep
Drives: 428i

I just installed the bavsound without replacing the stock amp to replace my hifi system and it is a noticeable difference but I wasn't really "blown away" as some others have been but it is definitely an improvement. You will immediately notice a difference in the quality of the speakers all around though and the magnets from all the stock speakers put together equal roughly 1 magnet from one of the bavsound speakers. The cones are much better quality as well and I am more than pleased with the investment. I can't really elaborate on the addition of a new amp though obviously but I can say the bavsound is going to be much cleaner sound using the stock amp in the 4 series. The install is also very straightforward and even taking the time to add additional soundproofing and tape down or fix everything with a potential to rattle the whole install took me about 2-3 hours but that also included some beer drinking
      01-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
joeyaoyp
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobienewbiedoo View Post
I just installed the bavsound without replacing the stock amp to replace my hifi system and it is a noticeable difference but I wasn't really "blown away" as some others have been but it is definitely an improvement. You will immediately notice a difference in the quality of the speakers all around though and the magnets from all the stock speakers put together equal roughly 1 magnet from one of the bavsound speakers. The cones are much better quality as well and I am more than pleased with the investment. I can't really elaborate on the addition of a new amp though obviously but I can say the bavsound is going to be much cleaner sound using the stock amp in the 4 series. The install is also very straightforward and even taking the time to add additional soundproofing and tape down or fix everything with a potential to rattle the whole install took me about 2-3 hours but that also included some beer drinking
Thank you for your information. I am comparing either bavsound or focal.Looks like focal is a big brand for speaker too. Did you replace your subwoofer under the seat? I feels like there was no bass at all. I use to have a 335i that come with logic 7 speaker and that bass was amazing!
I was wondering to replace an amp too since it is not optical line signal.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 06:02 PM   #7
joeyaoyp
Private
United_States
Rep

can any one tell me about these wiring? Looks confuse.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #8
doobienewbiedoo
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyaoyp View Post
Thank you for your information. I am comparing either bavsound or focal.Looks like focal is a big brand for speaker too. Did you replace your subwoofer under the seat? I feels like there was no bass at all. I use to have a 335i that come with logic 7 speaker and that bass was amazing!
I was wondering to replace an amp too since it is not optical line signal.
I did not replace the stock subwoofer but mine does have decent bass. Again nothing mind blowing but I mean I can't expect too much from a stock system

I will say though that The bav sound mids and highs should complement an additional subwoofer very well. I saw the ghost sub that bavsound puts out but unfortunately they aren't available for the 4 series yet. I was also thinking that adding a kicker solobaric l7 (the square ones) right behind the armrest for the back seats would look pretty amazing. This is actually where bavsound actually puts there ghost subs in the available models but I think a square sub in that spot would look pretty clean.

If you do end up upgrading the amp and adding subs please be sure to post about it. Also if you chose to go with focal also let us know how the install process and quality are. It would be good for future upgraders to have a good comparison and there is already quite a bit of bavsound information around.
      01-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #9
joeyaoyp
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobienewbiedoo View Post
I did not replace the stock subwoofer but mine does have decent bass. Again nothing mind blowing but I mean I can't expect too much from a stock system

I will say though that The bav sound mids and highs should complement an additional subwoofer very well. I saw the ghost sub that bavsound puts out but unfortunately they aren't available for the 4 series yet. I was also thinking that adding a kicker solobaric l7 (the square ones) right behind the armrest for the back seats would look pretty amazing. This is actually where bavsound actually puts there ghost subs in the available models but I think a square sub in that spot would look pretty clean.

If you do end up upgrading the amp and adding subs please be sure to post about it. Also if you chose to go with focal also let us know how the install process and quality are. It would be good for future upgraders to have a good comparison and there is already quite a bit of bavsound information around.
Thank you. Now i am talking to techinc and I am planning to go with his harness+after market amp+after market speaker+sws sub. It looks like bavsound is for the oem amp only and it cant not handle much power on it. I will go with the harness, the spacer and go ahead for the upgrade. I will post it once everything is coming!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 10:48 PM   #10
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

I can explain that connector in one word....Technic.

He sells harnesses for that connector
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 11:43 PM   #11
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyaoyp View Post
Thank you. Now i am talking to techinc and I am planning to go with his harness+after market amp+after market speaker+sws sub. It looks like bavsound is for the oem amp only and it cant not handle much power on it. I will go with the harness, the spacer and go ahead for the upgrade. I will post it once everything is coming!
Wait, so you are going with bavsound or some other speaker upgrade? And what after market amp are you considering? I'm going to be doing a similar upgrade in a couple of months (did the BSW stage-1 upgrade recently) and next on the list is the amp as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 12:05 AM   #12
joeyaoyp
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
Wait, so you are going with bavsound or some other speaker upgrade? And what after market amp are you considering? I'm going to be doing a similar upgrade in a couple of months (did the BSW stage-1 upgrade recently) and next on the list is the amp as well.
As the bavsound web said, this speaker will work with oem amp perfectly. I do some research and found out that the oem amp(hifi) is only 200+ watts. That means either the rms power of the bavsound stage 1 or peak power will not be that much. So I just buy techinc's harness and add my own aftermarket amps. He said all the amp come with balance input will work with that harness.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 12:06 AM   #13
joeyaoyp
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
I can explain that connector in one word....Technic.

He sells harnesses for that connector
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 12:10 AM   #14
joeyaoyp
Private
United_States
Rep

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GTO5....html?tp=35808
this one look really good!!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 05:26 AM   #15
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

That thing is huge and likely won't fit in the OEM spot, I don't think. Also, I looked at it once and wasn't clear on it if accepted balanced inputs. If you are going for a plain amp, stick with the JL 600/6 or /8 as they have been tested by tons of folk and we know they work.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 11:12 AM   #16
joeyaoyp
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
That thing is huge and likely won't fit in the OEM spot, I don't think. Also, I looked at it once and wasn't clear on it if accepted balanced inputs. If you are going for a plain amp, stick with the JL 600/6 or /8 as they have been tested by tons of folk and we know they work.
Thanks for your info. I did not realize the size problem!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 07:00 PM   #17
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

@joeyaoyp,
I needed a 23" monitor to see the pix you posted. Don't even bother to research the wiring harness yourself, someone has done it -- pay him. Technic's harness probably saved me at least 10 hours if I have to figure it out myself. I'm running a JL XD800 for the fronts, rears, & woofers. Very low level hiss that you can only hear from the tweeters if the car is parked and the windows are rolled up. Some advice, if you are going to replace/run the 8" woofers under the seats with the upgraded amp, sound dampen the thing, otherwise they will rattle out to the side skirts. You may need to dampen the side skirts too if you crank up the volume. My setup sounds very nice on the inside, but sounds like sh*t standing outside. Normally you would hear the clean bass note. My car sounds like an '87 corolla that is about to fall apart. I'm taking it apart, again - to dampen the whole thing with dynamat.

Last edited by _bdiddyb_; 01-26-2015 at 11:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 07:26 PM   #18
joeyaoyp
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bdiddyb_ View Post
@joeyaoyp,
I needed a 23" monitor to see the pix you posted. Don't even bother to research the wiring harness yourself, someone has done it -- pay him. Technic's harness probably saved me at least 10 hours if I have to figure it out myself. I'm running a JL XD800 for the fronts, rears, & woofers. Very low level hiss that you can only hear from the tweeters if the car is parked and the windows are rolled up. Some advice, if you are going to replace/run the 8" woofers under the seats with the upgraded amp, sound dampen the thing, otherwise they will rattle out to the side skirts. You may need to dampen the side skirts too if you crank up the volume. My setup sounds very nice on the inside, but sounds like sh*t standing outside. Normally you would hear the clean base note. My car sounds like an '87 corolla that is about to fall apart. I'm taking it apart, again - to dampen the whole thing with dynamat.
Thanks for your help! I had order some parts from technic and i am excited on it. I had bought a rockford amp and jl audio speaker. I should get it done this weekend. Did you got the noise filter on the battery terminal?It should help with the hiss sound. I have logic 7 on my 335 and it sound like shit outside too but really good inside
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 08:08 PM   #19
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@joeyaoyp,
My setup sounds very nice on the inside, but sounds like sh*t standing outside. Normally you would hear the clean base note. My car sounds like an '87 corolla that is about to fall apart. I'm taking it apart, again - to dampen the whole thing with dynamat.
Don't mean to hijack, but i gotta ask how/where you are planning to dynamat the woofer area? i thought there was some seals around the woofer enclosure already, but apparently not enough dampening?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 08:49 PM   #20
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@joeyaoyp,
... I'm running a JL XD800 for the fronts, rears, & woofers. Very low level hiss that you can only hear from the tweeters if the car is parked and the windows are rolled up. ...
hmm... i'm considering a JL XD amp ... wondering if this is a characteristic of JL amps in general or just a isolated situation you are are encountering with your particular setup?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 11:17 PM   #21
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Don't mean to hijack, but i gotta ask how/where you are planning to dynamat the woofer area? i thought there was some seals around the woofer enclosure already, but apparently not enough dampening?
The seals are sufficient to run the stock woofer with "stock" power. After I tuned my system for more bass, the rattling began. I saw this setup and did the same to my woofer pods. Beautiful installation on this F30.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...osconi-am.html

Here's a side view of the woofer pod (BMW's version of a ported woofer enclosure). It's light, and definitely will vibrate with the bass notes:

Here's a picture of where that port is vented:

Stick your hand in the vent and feel around; you will notice there are holes that lead directly to the side skirts. I have no idea why this is -- BMW's fart vent?
Here's a picture of my pod dampen from vibration:

Last edited by _bdiddyb_; 01-31-2015 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2015, 11:24 PM   #22
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
hmm... i'm considering a JL XD amp ... wondering if this is a characteristic of JL amps in general or just a isolated situation you are are encountering with your particular setup?
I'm running an AudioControl DQDX to give me band-pass for input/output 7 & 8 on the XD800 to run the woofers under the seat. This may have added to the XD800 noise floor.
Appreciate 0