BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-16-2015, 01:06 AM   #1
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Sidewindsensitivity and steering precision.

I have accepted that my 35i with adaptive dampers on 310 wheels does not have the same steering precision as my MY97 9000Turbo on 18" wheels.

Yesterday I drove 700 km/ 400 miles in windy and snowy conditions , partly on 4 lane roads, on my 18" Conti wintertires.

As expected, steering precision was a bit worse than on 20" tires.

The real problem, however, was the sidewindsensitivity. I could compare with other vehicles on the 4-lane road, and X4 was worse.

I will lower it 35 mm (H&R) in spring and hope for the best.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 03:46 AM   #2
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
I have accepted that my 35i with adaptive dampers on 310 wheels does not have the same steering precision as my MY97 9000Turbo on 18" wheels.

Yesterday I drove 700 km/ 400 miles in windy and snowy conditions , partly on 4 lane roads, on my 18" Conti wintertires.

As expected, steering precision was a bit worse than on 20" tires.

The real problem, however, was the sidewindsensitivity. I could compare with other vehicles on the 4-lane road, and X4 was worse.

I will lower it 35 mm (H&R) in spring and hope for the best.
X4 taller than the Saab and being suv shape you will feel the wind
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 04:18 AM   #3
frankrs
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

I had a 500km ride with my new X4 last weekend up in the mountains in very snowy conditions. 18” Hakkapelliita R2 (no studs) made me a bit worried before I started my trip, but I had no problems at all regarding navigability during the trip. Norwegian mountain roads are not famous of being straight and wide, but the car was handling both the roads and the snowy conditions excellent. I'm not very focused on steering precision. I'm focused on a comfortable and relaxed driving experience. That I got. I was considering using my 310’s for winter tires, but I didn't dare. I'm glad for that, even though the car needs bigger wheels to look at its best.

The only issue I had was some problems with the visibility due to icing on the front window. Maximum ventilation solved the issue temporary, but the noise from maximum ventilation was very annoying.

I used to drive an A7, and was a bit anxious if I would feel a tremendous downgrading of driving comfort. I didn't. I also had the same problems with icing on the front window in my A7. The best solution for this problem is heated front windows. Ford has that option, but AFAIK BMW doesn't.

I didn't experience any wind during my trip, can’t comment anything on that issue.

I will consider lowering the car, but I doubt I will do it. I will need the height, especially when I'm in the mountain during the winter. I had some issues of a too low car with my A7, even when I lifted the car to the maximum level.
Appreciate 0