BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

01-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #1
ZacM4
My first M
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 - Sakhir Orange

Car protection

Hi guys

What are your views on having things like trackers installed? I have just had a tracker installed in my car (for insurance purpose) but not sure if they are worth it. I heard about this GTR that was stolen. Tracker didn't find the car, the guy put the post out on GTR group and people were looking for it and someone found the car and they manage to recover it because of a site just like this. Does that mean trackers are not worth the money?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I specifically hunted for a policy that didn't need a tracker. Just another cost IMO....
      02-07-2015, 06:14 AM   #3
Greennigel
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

....I mentioned I had a tracker fittered and they said my insurance would be increased by 2 pound...no shit WTF
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 04:23 AM   #4
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
My car came with a tracker, so I decided to pay for activation since it was already there. When I compared the insurance quotes, there was no real difference. Couple extra companies showed up on the list, but their quotes where not cheaper than other insurers anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 05:45 AM   #5
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Tracker is for benefit of the insurance company, much better to spend the money on return to invoice insurance. Do you really want the car back if it is stolen and thrashed / damaged.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

I wouldn't have normally bothered but have to have one for our company policy.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #7
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtco View Post
Tracker is for benefit of the insurance company, much better to spend the money on return to invoice insurance. Do you really want the car back if it is stolen and thrashed / damaged.
+1. RTI is around £500 for 3 year's cover and pays out on accidents, fire etc as well so is probably better value than a tracker.

I have heard of people hard-wiring an old phone into a door panel and then using the "find a phone" app to recover the car if you really do want it back
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #8
Rusk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 DCT Tanzanite Blue

I didn't want one but without it I was being quoted £1500+ for insurance. With the tracker fitted I got quotes for around £650 so for me the tracker paid for itself in savings and will continue to in the years to come.

Would rather not have one though.
BMW M4 - Tanzanite Blue, Silverstone Full Merino Leather, M DCT, Comfort Access, Reversing Camera, Sun Protection Glass, Extended Storage, Armrest with sliding adjustment, Interior trim finisher - Pearl Chrome, Adaptive LED Headlights, High-Beam Assistant, Surround-View Camera, M Head-up Display, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound, Internet, Online Entertainment, Speed Limit Display, Piano Black Interior BMW Individual.
Appreciate 0