F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > How to send Google maps to the navigation screen
GetBMWParts

01-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #1
RheelDeal
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Sport

How to send Google maps to the navigation screen

I've been trying to figure out how I can send Google or Apple map direction to my navigation screen from my iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #2
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by RheelDeal View Post
I've been trying to figure out how I can send Google or Apple map direction to my navigation screen from my iPhone.
I guess you've tried this already...?

https://www.bmw-routes.com/uk/en/index.jsp

You might get it to work...

BUT

Navigation guidance in the US is currently only supported to a limited extent.

Planning your own routes and navigating them after transfer to your vehicle is currently only supported in the following countries:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

I'm looking at Google maps right now on my computer; if I search for a place there's a "send to car" link right below it.

Things to note:
1) Register your Gmail/Google account with the "Send to Car" config page
---https://www.google.com/maps/sendtocar
---Ensure you enter the email address on file with BMW. Obviously if BMW has your assist account setup for bobsmith@blah.com and you use bobbysmith@blah.com... not going to work.
2) You must be signed into Google services, so that your send to car information is available to send to the car.
3) It should show up as a message/note in the car, which you open and input as a destination.
      01-10-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by RheelDeal View Post
Is your car new or used?

If it's new, your dealer should have registered you with BMW Assist and supplied you with the userid and password upon pickup.

If it is used, your car lacks a subscription for BMW Assist and you need to push the magic button up by the rear view mirror and call them, give them a credit card number, and buy a basic package.

Once you have your BMW Assist credentials, you send addresses to NAV in two ways:

1. Go to the iTunes app store, download the BMW Remote app, put in your userid and password, search for an address, click on the flag, choose 'send to car', done.

2. Go to Google Maps in any web browser, sign in with your Google userid, and look for the 'gear' symbol and click it. That's settings, and in there is the option to register your BMW with Google using your BMW Assist userid and password. Once that's done, you stay logged in to Google and the next time you use Google Maps you'll see an extra button on the popup menu that says "Send To Car".
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Personally, I've found the My BMW Remote app is the easiest way.

I have, on occasion, used the "send to car" feature in Google Maps, while on a Windows PC.
      01-11-2015, 09:00 AM   #6
jrortiz
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

I have found the the BMW app do not found the places as good a the Google or Apple maps app, so if I'm on the road I used them to found the place I want to go and then used the Send To Car app to have te direction on the car.

http://sendtocar-mobile.appspot.com/ios.html
      01-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
philbake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i GT/2017 X5 40e

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 e40  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Personally, I've found the My BMW Remote app is the easiest way.

I have, on occasion, used the "send to car" feature in Google Maps, while on a Windows PC.
I liked the BMW Remote app for this too. Unfortunately, with the most recent update (v3.1) there's no way to search for an address from within the app if you have a model year up through 2013 (CIC Navigation).
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 09:57 AM   #8
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
I'm looking at Google maps right now on my computer; if I search for a place there's a "send to car" link right below it.

Things to note:
1) Register your Gmail/Google account with the "Send to Car" config page
---https://www.google.com/maps/sendtocar
---Ensure you enter the email address on file with BMW. Obviously if BMW has your assist account setup for bobsmith@blah.com and you use bobbysmith@blah.com... not going to work.
2) You must be signed into Google services, so that your send to car information is available to send to the car.
3) It should show up as a message/note in the car, which you open and input as a destination.

As Timmah notes, it's fairly simple to use Google Maps to get a location to your car.

There are three other ways to get locations to your car:
  • SEND TO CAR app. I use the Android version since I have a Samsung phone; this app integrates into Google Maps and I routinely use it from my phone to car.
  • SEND TO BMW Windows 8 App. Use this App as back up from desktop.
  • My BMW Remote. One of the functions of this App is to be send locations to your car.

I listed them in the order I use them
Hope that helps!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 10:09 AM   #9
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
As Timmah notes, it's fairly simple to use Google Maps to get a location to your car.

There are three other ways to get locations to your car:
  • SEND TO CAR app. I use the Android version since I have a Samsung phone; this app integrates into Google Maps and I routinely use it from my phone to car.
  • SEND TO BMW Windows 8 App. Use this App as back up from desktop.
  • My BMW Remote. One of the functions of this App is to be send locations to your car.

I listed them in the order I use them
Hope that helps!

Pretty much same over here as well.

Register with Google maps.
Use the BMW remote app.
Send to car

Then if driving use the Conceirge facility, admittedly I have used it before driving off and they just send you the Nav details.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #10
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Thanks folks for the reference to Send to Car app! As soon as my BMW Assist finally gets set up I will use it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #11
RheelDeal
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Sport

Thanks for all of the feedback. I bought my BMW used so I don't the BMW Assist. I will look into it.
Appreciate 0