E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > instrument cluster and beyond - help!

01-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
tomtx
Registered
Rep
Drives: z4 roadster

instrument cluster and beyond - help!

confused0068:

04 Z4 roadster - 34,000 miles 2nd owner - purchased Feb 07 Certified BMW used

Any feedback, advice will be GREATLY appreciated

28 days after my warranty ran out the following happened:

Came home from my mothers funeral mid-Dec., TX weather was beautiful so I put the top down -got home top would not go up. TX dealers closed so called CA dealer they said dealer would need to manually put top up - stopped by store bought car cover. The next morning I drove 12 miles to the dealer, Mike Smith BMW, in Beaumont, TX.

It started raining lightly on my way to the dealer, note it did not rain night before and car was completely covered overnight. Dealer manually put top up and made an appt for me to return in Jan. 7th - this was their delay not mine - guess they wanted to celebrate the holidays.

In those 10 days my car completely died and I had to have it towed to the dealership. Dealer diagnosed as Instrument cluster failure and wanted $1300 to fix. I protested this should be covered - the dealer and BMW agreed to replace at n/c but I would have to replace battery at my expense $300 & some change - I agreed.

They have now come back with the following claiming it is all due to water damage from my 12 mile drive - I cannot imagine a BMW is so delicate that 12 mi in light rain would damage my car to this extent.

1. Diagnosis fee - (5 hours)$580 - think I'll give up current profession and get into BMW repairs - much more lucritive!

2. Airbag control module (dealer claims water damaged) $809

3. Connectors for control unit (dealer claims corroded by water damage) terminals for connectors/trim panes/release lever between seats for conv top/trim clips/trim retainers - $908

4. Conv top hydro/motor unit/butyl cord & tap - $1586.82

Total bill = just under $3900

This is a certified used BMW - can above be from 12 minutes in the rain as dealer suggests? I wonder if dealer certified with prior major water damage? Car is from area and would have gone through Huricane Rita when previous owned....I am very disheartened - this is my dream car and I've owned less than a year - has anyone else encountered such a thing?

Dealer suggested I file a claim with my insurance carrier to cover charges.....this I find odd as well.

I would appreciate anyone's feedback, guidance, suggestions and help.

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0