Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-05-2015, 12:40 AM   #1
crand002
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi

TC Kline coilovers

Is anyone running the single or double adjustable coilovers yet? The price is very reasonable especially with included camber plates. I would like feedback before I purchase...

http://www.tcklineracing.com/index.cfm
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
hyperboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Boxster Corvette M5C

TCK makes great stuff. had great success with them on my E46. with sofer springs, the ride is so comfortable.
21 M5C DD|21 M550 xDrive|05 E46M3 race car 6SPD|2019 2LT Corvette GS 7SPD track car|22 Tundra SR5 TRD Sport|19 Q7 V6 & 22 Q7 2.0T|20 G63|19 Vantage 4.0TT|22 Boxster 25 Year 6SPD sold|08 Porsche Cayman 5SPD sold|18 R8 RWS sold|Many previous cars
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #3
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Eyeing these up too. Heard good things about TCK for other platforms.

M-Adaptive is disabled with these I assume?
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 02:29 PM   #4
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post

Yes...because you are replacing the actual damper, you will lose the M adaptive suspension.
      01-21-2015, 08:36 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post

Yes, that is correct.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 11:16 PM   #6
veritas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: clean

I had TCKline Single adjustables on my E46M and Double adjustables on the E92M. Both sets were fantastic on the road, only ever Auto-X'd my E46M and regrettable never got the E92 out there. However, the road setup on the E92 felt far superior to my E46M, might have been the C6Z06 in between that I forgot the feeling, either way they both handled and road very well and with minimal NVH.

The Single Adjustables worked flawlessly on the E46M, I went through multiple spring setups, both standard and the shorty springs, dialing in the car and never had any issues with the suspension. Only issue that ever came up was 1 Shock started leaking, sent it in and got it replaced under warranty, had to pay for a new one vs having it rebuilt since I could leave the car sitting, but it was very minimal costs. TCK has always been super responsive with answering any questions I have on the suspension or setup of the car.

I am looking forward to getting the my F80 mid March, and I am going to be looking at getting the new Double Adjustable TCK suspension on the M3. If no one else posts about this suspension in the mean time, I will post a review once get the new suspension installed.

TCK D/A|Vorsteiner|Riss|Varrstoen|Advan|Schroth|Platte Forme|Exotics Tuning
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2015, 01:35 PM   #7
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritas View Post
I had TCKline Single adjustables on my E46M and Double adjustables on the E92M. Both sets were fantastic on the road, only ever Auto-X'd my E46M and regrettable never got the E92 out there. However, the road setup on the E92 felt far superior to my E46M, might have been the C6Z06 in between that I forgot the feeling, either way they both handled and road very well and with minimal NVH.

The Single Adjustables worked flawlessly on the E46M, I went through multiple spring setups, both standard and the shorty springs, dialing in the car and never had any issues with the suspension. Only issue that ever came up was 1 Shock started leaking, sent it in and got it replaced under warranty, had to pay for a new one vs having it rebuilt since I could leave the car sitting, but it was very minimal costs. TCK has always been super responsive with answering any questions I have on the suspension or setup of the car.

I am looking forward to getting the my F80 mid March, and I am going to be looking at getting the new Double Adjustable TCK suspension on the M3. If no one else posts about this suspension in the mean time, I will post a review once get the new suspension installed.
Let us know if we could help with selecting the right spring rates to suit your driving needs for your F80.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #8
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Let us know if we could help with selecting the right spring rates to suit your driving needs for your F80.
Harold, how would you compare these d/a tck to kw clubsports?

Both have camber plates, linear sprimgs, dual adjustable shocks etc...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #9
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Harold, how would you compare these d/a tck to kw clubsports?

Both have camber plates, linear sprimgs, dual adjustable shocks etc...
TCKR DA Koni's are higher quality dampers with motorsport internals. Lifetime warranty and a handful of guys around the country can service/revalve/upgrade these for you.

A wide selection of spring rates are also available to suit your type of driving or tracks you run on. The person who did all the R&D, TC Kline, is right here in the US and you can speak directly to him about any question or issues you may have if you can't get answers from your local TC Kline dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #10
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Any idea how the rear shocks are mounted or picture of the kit? Love the setup I have on the E92, but it seems like the F series need to have the wacky spacers at the rear.

Also, I am always wondering why TC went with 2.5" rear springs instead of 60mm, considering the heigh adjuster is still design for 60mm (pretty much my only complaint for the kit along with the lack of helper springs for the rear).
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #11
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

What would be the expected outcome of ordering 350/600 F/R spring set with the SA coilover package for a daily driver (no track time)?

Ideally I'd love to find a setup that performs like the passive suspension on an E92 M3, knowing TC Kline has developed for both platforms.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartelli View Post
What would be the expected outcome of ordering 350/600 F/R spring set with the SA coilover package for a daily driver (no track time)?

Ideally I'd love to find a setup that performs like the passive suspension on an E92 M3, knowing TC Kline has developed for both platforms.
This combo should yield a ride that is better than stock, but with much better damping control. However, you will have to make the adjustments from soft to firm manually.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #13
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

Harold,

Could you explain what modification is needed in the rears to install the Koni shocks? Are the fronts straight forward and need no modifications? Also, could we use the stock top hats instead of the camber plates for the TC Kline kit? I'm about to pull the trigger on a the single adjustable kit (if you offer it), just need abit more information.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 04:08 AM   #14
m3z
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

Quote:
TCKR DA Koni's are higher quality dampers with motorsport internals. Lifetime warranty and a handful of guys around the country can service/revalve/upgrade these for you.

A wide selection of spring rates are also available to suit your type of driving or tracks you run on. The person who did all the R&D, TC Kline, is right here in the US and you can speak directly to him about any question or issues you may have if you can't get answers from your local TC Kline dealer.
So you find the tck da superior to the kw clubsports. What is your opinion on tck da vs the jrz rs 2? They are in the same price range and seem to have the same amount of adjustability so I was wondering if there's one that's more superior to the other.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2015, 06:50 AM   #15
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3z View Post
So you find the tck da superior to the kw clubsports. What is your opinion on tck da vs the jrz rs 2? They are in the same price range and seem to have the same amount of adjustability so I was wondering if there's one that's more superior to the other.
Jsz two way are not in the same price range as TC Kline lol. Maybe an incomplete kit with just the shock, and with no springs, camber plates and anything else.

Both TC Kline and KW CS are traditional twin tube shocks. They have different valving and such, but overall they are not that different and both are great kits for dual use cars. Dunno what kind of shock design that JRZ is, probably a nitrogen filled monotube is my guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #16
m3z
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Jsz two way are not in the same price range as TC Kline lol. Maybe an incomplete kit with just the shock, and with no springs, camber plates and anything else.

Both TC Kline and KW CS are traditional twin tube shocks. They have different valving and such, but overall they are not that different and both are great kits for dual use cars. Dunno what kind of shock design that JRZ is, probably a nitrogen filled monotube is my guess.
http://ind-distribution.com/ind/bran...l-coilover-kit

http://www.tcklineracing.com/webdocs...etails1162.cfm

Seems pretty similar to me. And I guess the jrz rs two is the only twin tube I'm their line up. Even the rs1 is monotube but the rs2 is a twin tube. So knowing that is the jrz still superior?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 12:58 PM   #17
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartelli View Post
Harold,

Could you explain what modification is needed in the rears to install the Koni shocks? Are the fronts straight forward and need no modifications? Also, could we use the stock top hats instead of the camber plates for the TC Kline kit? I'm about to pull the trigger on a the single adjustable kit (if you offer it), just need abit more information.
Yes, a relief hole must be drilled just above the shock mount to accommodate the top of the shock.

The front is a straight bolt-on.

Camber plates must be used with this coilover kit.

SA kits are also available now!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #18
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
TCKR DA's are definitely better than KW CS's in many ways. Ride quality is superior with no harshness on the street(many report better than stock ride from these high quality dampers), the motorsport valving package in the TCKR is more precise(good for track performamce) and various spring rates(to suit different set-ups and driving styles) are available just to name a new.

For reliability and longevity, TCKR is no question the winner over JRZ RS and RS1. That said, JRZ's Pro-Line 2 and 3-way are exceptional and good choices for a track only application.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2015, 01:11 PM   #19
m3z
Captain
Rep

Quote:
TCKR DA's are definitely better than KW CS's in many ways. Ride quality is superior with no harshness on the street(many report better than stock ride from these high quality dampers), the motorsport valving package in the TCKR is more precise(good for track performamce) and various spring rates(to suit different set-ups and driving styles) are available just to name a new.

For reliability and longevity, TCKR is no question the winner over JRZ RS and RS1. That said, JRZ's Pro-Line 2 and 3-way are exceptional and good choices for a track only application.
Thank you sir. I will keep that in mind when I'm ready to order
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #20
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you sir. I will keep that in mind when I'm ready to order
I wouldn't go as far as calling them actually improving the stock ride quality, especially for new low mileage stock shocks. Solid bearing in the camber plates will introduce a bit, but noticeable increase in NVH, and much stiffer spring will make you feel more of the road, even if the damping is less harsh.

Reliability has been a big plus for TC K DA units though. I done a bit of research into these kits before I picked up mine; there are quite a few e46 guys running close to 100k miles with these shocks, and still perform just fine on the track. But I would get them rebuilt a little earlier though, just to be on the safe side.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #21
m3z
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't go as far as calling them actually improving the stock ride quality, especially for new low mileage stock shocks. Solid bearing in the camber plates will introduce a bit, but noticeable increase in NVH, and much stiffer spring will make you feel more of the road, even if the damping is less harsh.

Reliability has been a big plus for TC K DA units though. I done a bit of research into these kits before I picked up mine; there are quite a few e46 guys running close to 100k miles with these shocks, and still perform just fine on the track. But I would get them rebuilt a little earlier though, just to be on the safe side.
I'm not a professional driver. Im sure with the right tuning all those options would be more then adequate for my driving. But I'm looking for reliability, longevity (time between rebuilds), better handling then stock, good customer service and the quietest/softest out of the 3 if possible
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #22
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3z
Quote:

I'm not a professional driver. Im sure with the right tuning all those options would be more then adequate for my driving. But I'm looking for reliability, longevity (time between rebuilds), better handling then stock, good customer service and the quietest/softest out of the 3 if possible
I think TCK is a good choice. A good low pressure twin tube will retain its damping characteristic longer than a nitrogen filled high pressured monotube.

Go with a softer springs if you want a better DD. I have these kit on E92 with 400lbs/ft front and 700lb/ft rear springs, over poorly paved, wavy highways, it get a little annoying after an hour or so. Wish we have the same quality of roads that I have driven in Germany.
Appreciate 1