Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

12-31-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
FuriousLucy
Voyeur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Castrol to Mobil 1 Synthetic?

Does anyone know if it is OK to switch from Castrol synthetic to Mobil 1 in an M4? I'd never thought about changing oils, but now BMW is now partnering with Shell instead of Castrol. I assume the M3/4 (or any BMW up to this point) has been engineered and developed using Castrol synthetic oil/lubricants, but does it matter? I don't know that either product is actually 'better' than the other, I've always used Mobil 1 based on manufacturer recs (Porsche). Do only the SAE specifications matter in regards to choice of oils? Thanks for any input and Happy New Year!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
sh55
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9805 E46 ZCP 6MT and '9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroberto
Does anyone know if it is OK to switch from Castrol synthetic to Mobil 1 in an M4? I'd never thought about changing oils, but now BMW is now partnering with Shell instead of Castrol. I assume the M3/4 (or any BMW up to this point) has been engineered and developed using Castrol synthetic oil/lubricants, but does it matter? I don't know that either product is actually 'better' than the other, I've always used Mobil 1 based on manufacturer recs (Porsche). Do only the SAE specifications matter in regards to choice of oils? Thanks for any input and Happy New Year!
I believe the F8X cars were developed with Castrol edge professional 0W-30 oil (although the manual says 5W-30 is also ok).

Somewhere on this forum someone posted a pdf with the list of acceptable oil alternatives for the M3/M4, I couldn't find it for you, but I know Mobil 1 was on the list (the post should be a sticky). There are many oils listed and I think the primary requirement is that the oil is LL1 or LL4 certified.

Personally I am running Castrol 0W-30 in my M4 and will be using it for in between oil changes. I was a Mobil 1 guy forever but switched as the S55 motor was developed with Castrol and I'm not leasing my car
'97 911S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Motor oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh55 View Post
I believe the F8X cars were developed with Castrol edge professional 0W-30 oil (although the manual says 5W-30 is also ok).

Somewhere on this forum someone posted a pdf with the list of acceptable oil alternatives for the M3/M4, I couldn't find it for you, but I know Mobil 1 was on the list (the post should be a sticky). There are many oils listed and I think the primary requirement is that the oil is LL1 or LL4 certified.

Personally I am running Castrol 0W-30 in my M4 and will be using it for in between oil changes. I was a Mobil 1 guy forever but switched as the S55 motor was developed with Castrol and I'm not leasing my car
The BMW 5W-30 High Performance Full Synthetic oil is made by Castrol, so my parts manager says. My dealer's price is actually quite good ($7.09 with club discount). Brand should not matter too much if specs are met.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 04:07 PM   #4
Deviant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW switched to Shell because their new oil is more revolutionary than when Mobile 1 synthetic first came out. They derive the oil from compressed natural gas so it's as pure as it's going to get. Ferrari switched to it now BMW. I'm sure others will as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh55 View Post

While the oils are not exactly the same, they are close enough that it won't make a difference to switch, as long as you stay synthetic to synthetic.
      01-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #6
FuriousLucy
Voyeur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
While the oils are not exactly the same, they are close enough that it won't make a difference to switch, as long as you stay synthetic to synthetic.
Hey All, Thank you for your response(s), I am grateful! Also, FYI, I posted the question on the BMW CCA website, 'Members, Forums, M cars, M4/F82' and MGarrison also had some insights that were ENGINEER-level. Take a look if you want to find out even more about oils and grading.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 06:11 PM   #7
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

I just respond to your little angry read the thread emoji with the respect it deserves, aka a GFY.

I did read the thread, and my (educated) opinion stands, Castrol to Mobil 1, synthetic to synthetic won't make a difference.
      01-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #8
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I'm not sure A1/B1 A5/B5 cert for Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30 meets the manual's requirement for A4/B4. They don't appear to be superceding certifications, but rather for use and performance.

ACEA

Quote:
A1/B1 Oil intended for use in gasoline and car + light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.6 to 3.5 mPas.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and car + light van diesel engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of low viscosity oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.

A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and direct injection diesel engines, but also suitable for applications described under B3.

A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline and car + light van diesel engines designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or
handbook if in doubt.
Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30 gets favorable reviews on bobistheoilguy.com forums, oil wonk nirvana that site. I'm going to dig a little deeper.

Link for European cars:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...ort_Motor_Oils

Interesting thread regarding A1/A5 compared to our required A3:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1822794

I'm going to stick with A3 certified oils, not many however to choose from.

Last edited by consolidated; 01-03-2015 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 02:16 AM   #9
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroberto View Post
You are over-thinking oil. Just go with whatever BMW dealership provides. If you're anal like me, you pay for BMW oil changes between the recommended (free) intervals. Especially if you drive the shit out of your car. If you do track it, then it's best to change it even more often.

I thought I would save money changing my oil in the past. After buying parts/oil/getting my hands dirty, I only saved $28. I just let the dealers do it since then. (Baron BMW dealership in KC only charge $100)

If your dealers charge more, then just buy the oil from BMW and do it yourself. I think it's the same price is a qt of Mobil 1. Keep in mind Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart/Other Parts stores are not pure Synthetic. It's a blend. Porsche Mobil 1 might be the EU version - 100% synthetic, which isn't found at your average part stores. Only BMW provides 100% synthetic oil for under $8/qt, so it's a better value. BMW oil is the least expensive synthetic oil and it's engineered for our cars. So why would you ever buy non-BMW oil?

Last edited by JNoSol; 01-04-2015 at 02:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #10
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

[QUOTE=consolidated;17166740]I'm not sure A1/B1 A5/B5 cert for Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30 meets the manual's requirement for A4/B4. They don't appear to be superceding certifications, but rather for use and performance.

ACEA

Based upon the research I've done - the ACEA A1/B1 and A5/B5 do NOT meet the same HTHS (high temperarture high shear) rating - as those have an HTHS rating of between 2.9 and 3.5. A3/B3 and A3/B4 however have an HTHS rating of >3.5 - so I would definitely make sure whatever oil you're using (per the Owner's Manual) complies with ACEA A3/B4 and NOT A1/B1 or A5/B5 (the API rating on Castrol Edge 0W-30 A3/B4 is SL, which is higher than the BMW minimum rating of SK - so until I purchase some BMW oil from my dealer's parts department - I have a spare liter of the Castrol Edge 0W-30 that I keep in my trunk in case I ever need to add a liter)...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #11
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 & 2015 M4 Vert

[QUOTE=JNoSol;

[B]Keep in mind Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart/Other Parts stores are not pure Synthetic. [/B] It's a blend. Porsche Mobil 1 might be the EU version - 100% synthetic, which isn't found at your average part stores. Only BMW provides 100% synthetic oil for under $8/qt, so it's a better value.

The above is an incorrect statement:
You can buy 100% pure synthetic Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart or NAPA. It is priced better at Wal-Mart than almost any other store (approx. $26 for 5 Qts.) or about the same when NAPA has it on sale (twice per year).
Yes it does say "European Formula" and has a ACEA A3/B4 designation on the container.
If you are selecting oil at a parts store and want a certain grade & specification you just have to know what your looking for and read the label.

My BMW Motorcycle dealer has been selling synthetic BMW oil for years at a price that is extremely high compared to what is available else where very reasonably. I have some of my BMW bikes that have more than 150K on them and aside from the original factory fill, never had any "BMW" oil in there crankcase. Even though a majority of these are AirCooled (which is harder on oil) none of them have ever suffered from an oil related failure.

Personally I enjoy changing my own oil on in between changes that BMW is not paying for, it gives me an opportunity to look at the underside for other problems that might have been missed otherwise. But that's just me...I also have it analyzed by Blackstone every other change...it is an investment and in my case not a lease...just saying.
      01-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels View Post
My BMW Motorcycle dealer has been selling synthetic BMW oil for years at a price that is extremely high compared to what is available else where very reasonably. I have some of my BMW bikes that have more than 150K on them and aside from the original factory fill, never had any "BMW" oil in there crankcase. Even though a majority of these are AirCooled (which is harder on oil) none of them have ever suffered from an oil related failure.
Good to see an airhead here. Isetta too per your sig?
      01-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #13
Tflong24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 30 Jahre

". Keep in mind Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart/Other Parts stores are not pure Synthetic. It's a blend. "

What is this bs statement based on. So, your telling me the Mobil 1 at Walmart that says full synthetic on the bottle is not full synthetic and it is a different oil than the other bottles that say full synthetic at other stores??? And I'm sure Mobil is okay with this??? Cmon, these type of statements are ridiculous. So everything else at Walmart that is cheaper is "different" than the higher priced identical product elsewhere. Don't add this crap to the conversation.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 08:33 PM   #14
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=consolidated;1717 Isetta too per your sig?[/QUOTE]

No Isetta...sidecars
      01-04-2015, 08:36 PM   #15
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tflong24 View Post
". Keep in mind Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart/Other Parts stores are not pure Synthetic. It's a blend. "

What is this bs statement based on. So, your telling me the Mobil 1 at Walmart that says full synthetic on the bottle is not full synthetic and it is a different oil than the other bottles that say full synthetic at other stores??? And I'm sure Mobil is okay with this??? Cmon, these type of statements are ridiculous. So everything else at Walmart that is cheaper is "different" than the higher priced identical product elsewhere. Don't add this crap to the conversation.
PLUS 1
      01-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #16
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
Good to see an airhead here. Isetta too per your sig?
Isettas are 4-wheeled, just narrow rear track.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 08:43 PM   #17
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No Isetta...sidecars
Nice! Wife won't let me put a kid in one, otherwise...
      01-04-2015, 08:46 PM   #18
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Isettas are 4-wheeled, just narrow rear track.
Actually they are both...The 1959 BMW Isetta 300 was a 3 wheel vehicle.
      01-04-2015, 08:55 PM   #19
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually they are both...The 1959 BMW Isetta 300 was a 3 wheel vehicle.
Got me there!

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 08:57 PM   #20
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
Nice! Wife won't let me put a kid in one, otherwise...
Actually put together my first one (1980 R100rt & EML) in 1982 so that my wife and I could keep on motorcycling even though we just had are first child, still have the bike, child & wife...LOL
      01-04-2015, 09:14 PM   #21
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually put together my first one (1980 R100rt & EML) in 1982 so that my wife and I could keep on motorcycling even though we just had are first child, still have the bike, child & wife...LOL
That's a nice short story. I have pics of my wife and her Dad on his R60/6. We first started going out on a 748, not a great place to sit to be honest.

Back to the oil thread, though they never end well.
      01-15-2015, 07:35 AM   #22
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just to set the record straight
Asof 1 January 2015 BMW oil is no longer made by Castrol but by Shell in Qatar using their new Gas To Liquid (GTL) technology.