F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Where do you mount your toll transponder?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
eekthecat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i

Where do you mount your toll transponder?

My new commute includes some toll roads, and that means a toll-transponder for me. The transponders they're handing out here are switchable (to indicate # of people in the car), so they're relatively large, and a big white eyesore, wherever it's mounted. It seems to be nearly an inch thick, so it can't be wedged too closely under the windshield.

Apparently, cops will stop people here (socal) if they show up as a transponder (fastrak) customer and the transponder isn't visible. (not sure how they would determine this, as they also do automated by-license-plate billing)

So... where does everyone mount their transponders? I'm thinking the lower-passenger-side windshield, but even then it's ugly as sin. I wonder if it'd work from the driver's side mini glovebox compartment?

Last edited by eekthecat; 12-30-2014 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by eekthecat View Post
My new commute includes some toll roads, and that means a toll-transponder for me. The transponders they're handing out here are switchable (to indicate # of people in the car), so they're relatively large, and a big white eyesore, wherever it's mounted. It seems to be nearly an inch thick, so it can't be wedged too closely under the windshield.

Apparently, cops will stop people here (socal) if they show up as a transponder (fastrak) customer and the transponder isn't visible. (not sure how they would determine this, as they also do automated by-license-plate billing)

So... where does everyone mount their transponders? I'm thinking the lower-passenger-side windshield, but even then it's ugly as sin. I wonder if it'd work from the driver's side mini glovebox compartment?
It's the same here in VA, we have these super large transponders where you flick a switch indicating you have more than 2 people in the car so you can ride the toll lanes for free.

However, we don't need them to be visible so I mount mine to the left of the rear view mirror at the top of the windshield. You can barely see it and the switch on the transponder is in easy reach in case I want to take the toll lanes and have enough people riding with me to ride them for free.

I don't understand why you'd get pulled over if your transponder isn't visible.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
sonystyle02
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 AMG GTS

i keep my fastrak in the glovebox and only pull it out when i need it (which isn't often). i wonder if you could spray it black with paint that doesn't interfere with the signal... that way it's not so much of an eye sore.

another idea - what if you stuck it on your visor (part facing the windshield). this way you flip it down when driving through tolls and flip it back up to hide it from view (well, outside view at least). if so, i'd put it as close to the hinge as possible to reduce the weight pulling the visor back down... thoughts?
      12-30-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Fortunately our transponders here are black and not that big. I have mine mounted to the windshield behind the rearview mirror on the passenger side (in the dot matrix portion of the upper windshield).

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
boggtj01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i Gran Coupe Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCCubs View Post
Fortunately our transponders here are black and not that big. I have mine mounted to the windshield behind the rearview mirror on the passenger side (in the dot matrix portion of the upper windshield).
Mine is white, but I have mine mounted in the same position as it has to be visible to be detected by the toll roads in Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois. I don't realize its there half the time and often find myself looking when I'm going to use the toll road to make sure it is.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
In NY they are small, so they are to the top right of the mirror. In some states, especially new england, it is illegal to hold up the transponder while going through a toll booth
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #7
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 328i M-Sport AW

I just asked this exact same thing in the AU section. I will be mounting mine in the same location as CHCCubs in the spotty dotty section on the passenger side of the rear view mirror. Unfortunately, ours is white, but I figure that it's part of the car, and people just expect it there. I'm not going to loose too much sleep over it
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 12:01 AM   #8
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

I stuck it on the windshield just to the right of the rear view mirror. A year later and I don't even notice it anymore.
      12-31-2014, 12:55 AM   #9
aaron90275
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eekthecat View Post
Where did you hear this from? Do you use the express lanes in the LA area?

What I do with mine is just place it on the left side of my dash when i am using the express lanes and once i get off i just put it in my center console. I hate it as well because it is such an eye sore and I am not about to put those velcro strips on my window.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 07:07 AM   #10
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Glovebox. Too bad you can't do that...

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 10:20 AM   #11
eekthecat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron90275 View Post
Where did you hear this from? Do you use the express lanes in the LA area?

What I do with mine is just place it on the left side of my dash when i am using the express lanes and once i get off i just put it in my center console. I hate it as well because it is such an eye sore and I am not about to put those velcro strips on my window.
That's what I was told by the rep that converted my account from plate-recognition to transponder (fastrak). I can't quite figure out how they'd actually enforce this though.

I ended up going back out to my car and looking at the different acceptable mounting locations, and it just sticks out like a sore thumb in the lower locations. As other posters have pointed out, up and to the right of the rearview mirror is far less visible, and it did work there, sitting flush against the edges of the windshield and mirror. The dot matrix helps to hide it, but I think I'll add some gaffer's tape or something to the transponder itself to further obscure it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 07:08 PM   #12
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Don't mount it directly under the rearview mirror if you have AUTO HEAD LIGHTS, it will block the camera for this function
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 11:37 PM   #13
alphapunk2
Private
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer View Post
Don't mount it directly under the rearview mirror if you have AUTO HEAD LIGHTS, it will block the camera for this function
didn't know that. thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0