F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Do I really need the tech package?
GetBMWParts

12-28-2014, 11:53 PM   #1
jdgonzalez
Master Bacon Eater
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Do I really need the tech package?

I'm in the midst of picking out a 328 and I'm trying to decide if I need the tech package. I know I want the nav but do I really need the HUD, BMW online and apps, remote services and the instrument cluster with extended events? How valuable are those features to you?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 11:56 PM   #2
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

To me, HUD is invaluable. I won't buy a car without it. And the standard dash sucks and looks cheap, so the extended one is a must to me. Tech package is not a good place to skimp. Where I saved money was skipping the Cold Weather package and HK audio along with most of the stand alone options.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 01:21 AM   #3
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Get the Tech Package. The HUD and Nav alone are worth it. Not sure if it still includes extended Bluetooth, but that will save you some headaches. I use every feature included in mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
To me, HUD is invaluable. I won't buy a car without it. And the standard dash sucks and looks cheap, so the extended one is a must to me. Tech package is not a good place to skimp. Where I saved money was skipping the Cold Weather package and HK audio along with most of the stand alone options.
What is this standard dash you speak of? Is this new for the 14+ models?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Isnt it possible to get navigation without the Tech Package? Thats what I did. Also what is the standard vs extended dash?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Not sure how 2015 models changed, but for 2014 when you got navigiation you also got the extended digital cluster. I would think that part of the package hasn't changed.
      12-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #7
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC2000 View Post
Not sure how 2015 models changed, but for 2014 when you got navigiation you also got the extended digital cluster. I would think that part of the package hasn't changed.
As far as I know, it hasn't changed.

You basically get a digital cluster that replaces the annoying analog MPG gauge.

As far as the Tech Package goes, everytime I get into a car without HUD (which is essentially any other car that isn't mine), you really start to appreciate how useful it is to have info such as navi instructions, radio presets, playlists, and MPH all displayed on the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Quote:
What does the extended digital cluster look like? I searched the web and it looks like the digital screen extends the full width of the dash? On my car without Tech package I have a rectangular screen that starts at the right 3rd of the speedometer and extends past the tachometer. Is this the extended cluster?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
bmwperson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Personally I think Navtech is the biggest POS I have ever used. In fact at this point I stopped using it because of all the time I have wasted following it's random detours.
2014 BMW 335i xDrive 6spd loaded
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
What does the extended digital cluster look like? I searched the web and it looks like the digital screen extends the full width of the dash? On my car without Tech package I have a rectangular screen that starts at the right 3rd of the speedometer and extends past the tachometer. Is this the extended cluster?
Extended:

Base:
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

I think it's ridiculous you need to get tech package to get the extended digital cluster. Without it, the dash is pathetic looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwperson View Post
Personally I think Navtech is the biggest POS I have ever used. In fact at this point I stopped using it because of all the time I have wasted following it's random detours.
I don't find BMW nav that intuitive either, but it's easier than using a smartphone app I think.

Quote:
This has been the case for all F30's and is still the case.

Quote:
Isnt it possible to get navigation without the Tech Package? Thats what I did. Also what is the standard vs extended dash?
Yes you can get navigation without tech package, and you will get the extended digital cluster. Nav is $2,150 I believe, and tech package is $3,150.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #12
jdgonzalez
Master Bacon Eater
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
As far as the Tech Package goes, everytime I get into a car without HUD (which is essentially any other car that isn't mine), you really start to appreciate how useful it is to have info such as navi instructions, radio presets, playlists, and MPH all displayed on the windshield.
Oooh! Didn't know the HUD displayed info other than the navi and MPH.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #13
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

I have hud, I think its a waste. For one, I rarely use navigation during daily use because I usually know where I'm going. I dont need to see my speed displayed on the windshield because chances are, if I'm speeding, its because I want to... I'm not going to look at my windshield and say, oh no, I'm going 80mph, I better slow down. When it comes to changing tracks and radio stations. I rather just click the radio button on idrive and scroll with the wheel, its so much easier than trying to focus on a small line of text on the windshield.
      12-29-2014, 11:12 PM   #14
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusivo View Post
I have hud, I think its a waste. ....
+1
HUD is really cool the first few times its used but it gets boring within a week. A 100 years after the first analog speedo was first used to display speed its still in use today because it a simple and effective way to show speed. HUD is great on a fighter jet but overkill on a car
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 11:22 PM   #15
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
+1
HUD is really cool the first few times its used but it gets boring within a week. A 100 years after the first analog speedo was first used to display speed its still in use today because it a simple and effective way to show speed. HUD is great on a fighter jet but overkill on a car
Thats weird because its my 5th car with it (GTP, X5M, A6, 750, 335) and I still don't find it boring. I find it to be a requirement. Looking down to look at the speedo seems like a burden after you've lived with HUD.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #16
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not going to look at my windshield and say, oh no, I'm going 80mph, I better slow down. When it comes to changing tracks and radio stations. I rather just click the radio button on idrive and scroll with the wheel, its so much easier than trying to focus on a small line of text on the windshield.
Yeah...I'm 99% sure no one uses it for that...

If you prefer a method that takes exponentially longer, then power to you.

I think the real question for buyers is whether or not it's worth $1,000, since you can get the navi and back up camera as stand alone options that's $1,000 less than the Tech package.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 08:36 AM   #17
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
I have hud, I think its a waste. For one, I rarely use navigation during daily use because I usually know where I'm going. I dont need to see my speed displayed on the windshield because chances are, if I'm speeding, its because I want to... I'm not going to look at my windshield and say, oh no, I'm going 80mph, I better slow down. When it comes to changing tracks and radio stations. I rather just click the radio button on idrive and scroll with the wheel, its so much easier than trying to focus on a small line of text on the windshield.
I find your post rather hilarious (not in a bad way) and I feel exactly the same way. The only time I really look at the speedo is when I'm on the highway/freeway. Other than that, I can hardly hit the speed limit anyways due to lights, traffic, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #18
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that is the extended digital cluster. The normal cluster is only about 3 inches wide and sits between the speedometer and tach.
      12-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #19
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Thats weird because its my 5th car with it (GTP, X5M, A6, 750, 335) and I still don't find it boring. I find it to be a requirement. Looking down to look at the speedo seems like a burden after you've lived with HUD.
I live witht the burden every day. I'm sure its taking a toll on my neck.

I got the HK over the HUD. Although it would have been nice to have gotten both, hopefully on the next car, I don't think I'll ever get to a point where I find glancing down to be a burden.
      12-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #20
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Yeah...I'm 99% sure no one uses it for that...

If you prefer a method that takes exponentially longer, then power to you.
Are you referring to viewing tracks/radio on HUD? How is it exponentially longer? its either you use a small scroll wheel on the steering wheel, and try to focus on a short line of text on the windshield or use the nice big idrive wheel and look at the giant display. I'm not sure one takes longer than the other, but the idrive is much more easier for me, especially since my right hand is usually resting by the arm rest. As far as speed, I feel I know the car well enough, and can judge my speed accurately, dont really need to see it. The hud directions have been useful the few times I've used it, but I can live without it. I dont miss the hud when I drive other cars.

I ordered HUD and DHP based on reviews here and I'm pretty sure thats 2k I could have saved or used elsewhere.
      12-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #21
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you referring to viewing tracks/radio on HUD? How is it exponentially longer? its either you use a small scroll wheel on the steering wheel, and try to focus on a short line of text on the windshield or use the nice big idrive wheel and look at the giant display. I'm not sure one takes longer than the other, but the idrive is much more easier for me, especially since my right hand is usually resting by the arm rest. As far as speed, I feel I know the car well enough, and can judge my speed accurately, dont really need to see it. The hud directions have been useful the few times I've used it, but I can live without it. I dont miss the hud when I drive other cars.
It takes longer. Especially if your iDrive isn't already on the screen to change the station/song. I can have navi up or have it display artist, song and cover art information (which is where iDrive spends most of the time). So from there, to switch songs all I have to do is scroll along the wheel and select which song I want without shifting my eyes away from the road.

From iDrive, assuming I'm on the main media screen that shows song, artist, and album art. I'd have to scroll the wheel to where it says "View Song", keeping in mind that I don't accidentally hit "View Playlists", then scroll there until I find the song I'm looking for. It takes much longer.

Plus the text on the windshield are plenty big. I have no issue seeing them whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #22
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I live witht the burden every day. I'm sure its taking a toll on my neck.

I got the HK over the HUD. Although it would have been nice to have gotten both, hopefully on the next car, I don't think I'll ever get to a point where I find glancing down to be a burden.
It's not a burden much in the same way having to pull out your key to start your car isn't really a burden, just a convenience. It actually takes me a few minutes to get adjusted to having to glance down at a speedometer now when I'm driving any other car. Not that it's a big deal since I did that for 7 years previously. Before that I had a Grand Prix which also had a HUD...back in 1999.
Appreciate 0