Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

12-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Comp

First track session with the M4 - Thunderbolt Raceway

Hi friends,

I took delivery of my M4 (SO/BLK, 6MT, adaptive suspension) right before thanksgiving, completed the break-in service last week, and yesterday took it on the track for the first time at the Thunderbolt Raceway at the New Jersey Motorsports Park. Miraculously we had amazing weather for that day only.

On the advice of one of the forum members, I wanted to report back on the experience. First of all, I am a beginner to track driving, with only a couple of HPDEs under my belt. My objective was to get to know the car and emerge intact, so I took it slow and easy.

The car I had previously used on the track was a 435i, and even to a noob like me, the difference was astonishing. The M4 made me feel like a much better driver than I really am. The handling was extremely precise and absolutely zero body roll (I was in sport across the board).

For the first couple of sessions I left the DSC on, and found it extremely frustrating - it was cutting power constantly and I could get very little down coming out of the corners. In my last session I was on MDM, and that made a world of difference. The car felt more agile, responsive and obviously faster, and to be honest, I felt more comfortable and in control of the car in this setting (less inclined to push it to do something it did not want to).

It was also my first time with a manual transmission on the track, and while I still need to learn correct shift points, the M4's fat powerbands allowed me to stay in either 3rd or 4th pretty much the entire time. My fastest lap on the circuit was 1:43:74. I have no idea if that is good or not, but it felt absolutely great.

My friends and family were horrified that I wanted to take a car I had barely driven out to the track in the winter, but then again: 1) you only live once; and 2) isn't this the point of having an M car?

I am attaching a short video below - it's really just for fun and done while bored. The sound quality from the go pro was awful so I put some music over it.

Wishing you all a very happy and safe new year!

Last edited by Mortis; 12-28-2014 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2014, 02:23 AM   #2
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

As long as you had fun and made it back in one piece, its all worth it! I applaud working up with DSC fully on, but these cars are not really trackable in that setting, much less even MDM cuts in aggressively after awhile. Might be good to take some car control courses to show you how everything off is faster when driven very smooth and fluidly in safe conditions.

If you don't mind, which GoPro mount are you using to attach the camera to the seat back?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 05:45 AM   #3
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Going to the track becomes very addictive (and very expensive)

Glad you enjoyed yourself and my advice is to keep doing it... you will be a better driver and really get to enjoy these cars in a way you simply can't on a public street.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green///Hell View Post
As long as you had fun and made it back in one piece, its all worth it! I applaud working up with DSC fully on, but these cars are not really trackable in that setting, much less even MDM cuts in aggressively after awhile. Might be good to take some car control courses to show you how everything off is faster when driven very smooth and fluidly in safe conditions.

If you don't mind, which GoPro mount are you using to attach the camera to the seat back?
Thanks - I definitely plan on signing up for autocross and car control sessions in the spring.

The mount I'm using is the Panavise 13150 ActionGrip 3-In-1 Suction Cup Camera Mount Kit (on Amazon). It's a bit short as you can see from the video, but the suction cup holds well on the plastic section of the seat. I just ordered an extension (Panavise 812-03 3-Inch Extension) which should do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Going to the track becomes very addictive (and very expensive)

Glad you enjoyed yourself and my advice is to keep doing it... you will be a better driver and really get to enjoy these cars in a way you simply can't on a public street.
It's safe to say that I am already completely hooked!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Very nice! The positive attitude is invaluable, keep at it. Luckily in our region we have many track and autox events, there is something every given weekend starting in March, you will have plenty of opportunity. I would highly recommend the BMW CCA NCC of course, and the PCA Potomac for these types of events. I hope we'll get to meet during one of them.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 06:39 AM   #7
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Welcome to the addiction
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

attending a track event in the Northeast in December...you definitely have your priorities right!

welcome to the addiction! most clubs have posted their NE 2015 schedules already in case you want to start planning for March
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 08:54 AM   #9
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS
Very nice! The positive attitude is invaluable, keep at it. Luckily in our region we have many track and autox events, there is something every given weekend starting in March, you will have plenty of opportunity. I would highly recommend the BMW CCA NCC of course, and the PCA Potomac for these types of events. I hope we'll get to meet during one of them.
Many thanks and I also look forward to meeting - I've participated in CCA NCC events before but look forward to branching out !
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Welcome to the addiction
Thank you - and thanks also for the encouragement !
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 08:57 AM   #11
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid-corner fun
attending a track event in the Northeast in December...you definitely have your priorities right!

welcome to the addiction! most clubs have posted their NE 2015 schedules already in case you want to start planning for March
Well, I did have my doubts about a track session on 27 December, but as it turned out the weather was perfect. The morning was very cold and resulted in multiple spin-outs from drivers pushing too hard on cold tires (not me!) but warmed up nicely through the afternoon.
Appreciate 0