BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
krisnetaji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

2015 Cayenne Turbo Vs 2015 X5M

Anyone have any feedback for both of these cars?
Had a 2014 Cayenne GTS. Debating if the X5m is right for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

kinda of tough to compare since the new xM units are not out yet.

On paper and from what we know the new xM vehicles are going to deliver. I am very excited for these SUVs

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

You should test drive one X5 M when it's available at dealers at the end of February or beginning of March. It has better performances than Cayenne Turbo.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

Should be about the same in acceleration. Porsche quotes 4.4 to 100 with the sport chrono but they are usually conservative. BMW quotes 4.2 but from my experience they are always more optimistic than porsche. Porsche is down 55 horses but is also down 80 kg. Torque is the same. Porsche will it outhandle and outbrake the BMW almost certainly. Build quality goes to the Porsche this one being no contest. Ride should be similar. Cornering and track performance should be slightly better on the cayenne. However when similarly specced the latter is a good deal dearer but you will eventually get your money back through stronger residuals. At the end of the day the differences are small and looks and brand loyalty will probably decide it for most.

P.s.the colour choices on the X5 are far superior
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 06:34 AM   #5
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40D 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorun View Post
Should be about the same in acceleration. Porsche quotes 4.4 to 100 with the sport chrono but they are usually conservative. BMW quotes 4.2 but from my experience they are always more optimistic than porsche. Porsche is down 55 horses but is also down 80 kg. Torque is the same. Porsche will it outhandle and outbrake the BMW almost certainly. Build quality goes to the Porsche this one being no contest. Ride should be similar. Cornering and track performance should be slightly better on the cayenne. However when similarly specced the latter is a good deal dearer but you will eventually get your money back through stronger residuals. At the end of the day the differences are small and looks and brand loyalty will probably decide it for most.

P.s.the colour choices on the X5 are far superior
Several other posts (read many) claims BMW is very conservative with their numbers.
The old X5 had 555HP /680NM (Europe numbers), a 6 speed auto box and 2305kg (DIN). 0-100km/h is 4.7 sec. Several EU magazines has measured faster. The new has 575HP /750 NM, 8 speed auto box (better ratios), believe slightly lighter (can't find number).
With this in mind, I am very convinced that the claimed 0-100 km/h at 4.2 is realistic and might even be closer to 4.0 sec cut to the massive increase in NM plus the fact the gearbox is faster.
Just my opinion
JensM
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14M5 View Post
Anyone have any feedback for both of these cars?
Had a 2014 Cayenne GTS. Debating if the X5m is right for me.
X5M is much more practical, compared to the Cayenne Turbo. More cargo space, which is why you really want an SUV over an M5/M6. Also, it's much cheaper to upgrade a BMW over a Porsche. The proper DPs / JB4 tune will put this car over 650hp. Lastly, IMO, the X5M looks more masculine compared to the girly looking Cayenne. When I pull up to a Cayenne, I always assume the driver is old or a trust fund girl.

If you're buying these for speed and practicality isn't a priority, then consider an M5/M6GC.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #7
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

Negotiating on a 2014 Cayenne Turbo S, 0 miles, new from dealership, MSRP 159k, listed at 139k now. I told them 120k was my limit, they want to make a deal and keep calling me but I tell them I'm not sure I want to spend over 100k on a car that's going to be the old model soon etc...the x5m is new.....

It's black on black with the burmeister stereo and 21s. Classic.

Anyone think this is a better buy than a 2015 X5M? Thoughts?

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe -SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #8
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5 M-sport

I would rather take the ML 63 AMG before the cayenne turbo, for the money the cayenne is yesterday’s news in my opinion. The X5M is of course the first choice, that car is going to be the pinnacle of fast SUV: s until at least 2018 when we will see the next cayenne turbo.
      01-08-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmatt0116 View Post
Anyone think this is a better buy than a 2015 X5M? Thoughts?
I've made the mistake of getting frustrated waiting and buying something else before. It's an expensive mistake ;p

Ultimately it comes down to - if both cars were on the lot at the same time, and you could drive away in either (at the actual price of the vehicle) which would you go with?

I'm guessing you're leaning to the BMW as you're on this forum.... the fact that the Porsche stealership is open to reducing the car price by $30k+ should give you a sense of how urgently they want to sell it.... and how little demand they've had.

IMHO the Cayenne is a great car, and in many ways it'll be better than the X5M. They'll be totally different driving feels and different cabin environments. The Porsche will likely feel a hair better put together, but more technically dated. The BMW will feel slightly less exclusive. You'll never get either much past 70mph on public roads, so it'll come back down to which'd excite you more either way....
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 08:50 AM   #10
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
IMHO the Cayenne is a great car, and in many ways it'll be better than the X5M. They'll be totally different driving feels and different cabin environments. The Porsche will likely feel a hair better put together, but more technically dated. The BMW will feel slightly less exclusive. You'll never get either much past 70mph on public roads, so it'll come back down to which'd excite you more either way....

Yes. We all obey the speed limit on the forum. I've never top every car (or bike) I've owned out on puplic road when no one is around.

On the serious note. The Porsche guys do know what they're doing. Their cars are very sporty and pure. The recent Cayenne body is too girly, so the X5M would be my choice even if I'm not a hard core BMW guy.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #11
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

Interesting thread. I am currently in a 2013 X5M, having come from a 2013 Cayenne GTS that was traded for a 2014 E63 S. One thing that stands out is that BMW does, IMHO, the best user interface for driver to technology. Their iDrive is miles and away better than anything MB has to offer. Porsche's system is not bad. I had no beefs with it, except that it was touch screen and my OCD on fingerprints was a compromise I had to make at the time.

Having said that, I am also cross shopping a replacement to the 2013 X5M and I have shortlisted the new X5M, Cayenne Turbo, and Mercedes G63. I know, the latter one doesn't belong based on handling alone. but the one thing that it has going for it is timelessness of design. I don't think any other vehicle conveys a teutonic impression like that SUV. Handling blows, but straight line is OK. Normally, I wouldn't even discuss handling when discussing an SUV, but both the X5M and the Cayenne even more so are very adept in that area.

My only gripe with BMW is what one other member has termed "forgettable styling." From a business standpoint, it is a brilliant idea. Within 3-5 years, the next greatest thing will be offered by BMW and we will all be having this conversation again and getting ready to move to the next X5M. I am just getting to the point where I am getting tired of the change. Prior to the last year or so, I didn't really have a problem with it, but BMW has started to lose its focus on quality, with their being more electrical gremlins in their vehicles and less of a quality feel to how the vehicle is put together in terms of build quality and materials.

The Porsche's, on the other hand, as one person posted above, are put together very well. While the first gen was a bit of a pig, the second gen was phenomenal. While I am not sure that the refresh is as good a looking vehicle as what it is replacing, in Turbo form it is still respectable.

To me, the G63 offers a sense of quality, luxury (they all do at this price point), and more importantly timelessness that makes spending a bit more worth it. We get screwed up here in Canada and buying from the US with the exchange having tanked is not an option.

My $0.02. In any situation, I think a buyer is in a winning position.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 02:13 AM   #12
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep

I agree with the forgettable styling argument. That applies to a lot of BMWs in the post bangle era. Just look how fresh an M-pack E60 still looks and compare that to the tired look of the F10. The other major concern is quality. My wife's F15 40d is less than a year old and has been twice at the dealer for leaky driver's door seal. It is going in again soon for squashy door seals, rear door rattle, squeaky glove box, usb port repair and hud that doesn't adjust between different profiles....and thats a 93,000 Euro car...

Trust me you wouldn't be having those issues in a Cayenne. I think the facelifted car addresses a good deal of the amphibious look of the pre-facelift cayenne. I was never a fan of the girly look of that one either. The cayenne needs to be specced with 21s and sport design pack and then it is ok. I have taken extensive test drives in a pre-facelift GTS and a facelift turbo and you can definitely see where your money goes. Plus I know it sounds a bit ridiculous to talk about value for money in a Porsche, but in that respect the cayenne is the pick of the whole Porsche range. Both Panamera and the 991 are considerably more expensive especially when you take into account the materials and labour that go into each one. And don't forget that no one tunes a chassis like Porsche do.

I do think that the drivetrain in the new X5m would be a very good match of tranny and engine. It would drive and shift very well. I am glad BMW did not put dct in it, it just would not suit the car. Would it be plagued by some of the F15 build quality issues..probably yes. Would it look boring in 3 years time...I bet. If it was my money I would get a cayenne it just feels more like a premium product to me.

I come from a W166 ML63 PP which I recently sold and put an order for a facelift RS6 (has always been my dream car). The Merc was a pleasant surprise, it exceeded my expectations. It went like stink and has the best sound of the lot and the steering was very good too. It was also very well put together more so than the F15. Its biggest let down was the tranny, although the full bore upshifts were perfect it was clunky and dim witted at slower speeds. The handling was ok and the anti-tilt system pretty effective although no pdcc. The infotainment was not that bad once you get used to it, it did Spotify bluetooth streaming perfectly as standard without needing a hack like the F15. It guzzled fuel like nothing you have ever seen. Oh and the rear did look Korean...

2thdr I think you will be making a mistake with the G63. Its age and technology will start bothering you at some point. I spent two days in a G55 some years back and although it was fun scaring people down the road I could never see myself owning one...

Last edited by gorun; 01-09-2015 at 02:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 10:03 AM   #13
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorun View Post
I agree with the forgettable styling argument. That applies to a lot of BMWs in the post bangle era. Just look how fresh an M-pack E60 still looks and compare that to the tired look of the F10. The other major concern is quality. My wife's F15 40d is less than a year old and has been twice at the dealer for leaky driver's door seal. It is going in again soon for squashy door seals, rear door rattle, squeaky glove box, usb port repair and hud that doesn't adjust between different profiles....and thats a 93,000 Euro car...

Trust me you wouldn't be having those issues in a Cayenne. I think the facelifted car addresses a good deal of the amphibious look of the pre-facelift cayenne. I was never a fan of the girly look of that one either. The cayenne needs to be specced with 21s and sport design pack and then it is ok. I have taken extensive test drives in a pre-facelift GTS and a facelift turbo and you can definitely see where your money goes. Plus I know it sounds a bit ridiculous to talk about value for money in a Porsche, but in that respect the cayenne is the pick of the whole Porsche range. Both Panamera and the 991 are considerably more expensive especially when you take into account the materials and labour that go into each one. And don't forget that no one tunes a chassis like Porsche do.

I do think that the drivetrain in the new X5m would be a very good match of tranny and engine. It would drive and shift very well. I am glad BMW did not put dct in it, it just would not suit the car. Would it be plagued by some of the F15 build quality issues..probably yes. Would it look boring in 3 years time...I bet. If it was my money I would get a cayenne it just feels more like a premium product to me.

I come from a W166 ML63 PP which I recently sold and put an order for a facelift RS6 (has always been my dream car). The Merc was a pleasant surprise, it exceeded my expectations. It went like stink and has the best sound of the lot and the steering was very good too. It was also very well put together more so than the F15. Its biggest let down was the tranny, although the full bore upshifts were perfect it was clunky and dim witted at slower speeds. The handling was ok and the anti-tilt system pretty effective although no pdcc. The infotainment was not that bad once you get used to it, it did Spotify bluetooth streaming perfectly as standard without needing a hack like the F15. It guzzled fuel like nothing you have ever seen. Oh and the rear did look Korean...

2thdr I think you will be making a mistake with the G63. Its age and technology will start bothering you at some point. I spent two days in a G55 some years back and although it was fun scaring people down the road I could never see myself owning one...
Gorun, at the back of my mind, I think that as well at times. We are not looking at a purchase until my wife's lease runs out on her 2014 335. Right now, the X5M is being swapped out for a 911 GTS-4 and I am going go dial in which SUV we go for over the next couple of years. Some rumours out there of a new, revised G class coming out, but most likely leaning towards the Cayenne. The only thing that really bothers me about the G class is the handling. I am not really much for speed as it is not usable on a day to day basis with traffic. Handling, on the other hand, can be enjoyed all the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #14
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep

After watching this video, I think I will stick with the X5M I've reserved. The exhaust sound is downright nasty, something porsches are not known for. Also don't think I can go back to the convential shifter in the Porsche now that I'm accustomed to the convenience of the idrive, it would feel like a downgrade.

FF to 39 seconds for the good stuff.

2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci

Last edited by fatmatt0116; 01-09-2015 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #15
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
After watching this video, I think I will stick with the X5M I've reserved. The exhaust sound is downright nasty, something porsches are not known for. Also don't think I can go back to the convential shifter in the Porsche now that I'm accustomed to the convenience of the idrive, it would feel like a downgrade.

FF to 39 seconds for the good stuff.

Good plan . I've gone back and forth too, but holding on my X6M. Although, I keep finding myself thinking the X5M looks better from certain angles....
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #16
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep

Yikes. I just drove a cayenne turbo and the handling was really good....wish I could actually drive the m to compare it. The HP/tq was definitely lacking vs. my dinan 5.0i, however everything else was a lot better. The adjustable suspension was very nice. Does the x5m have that feature?

2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci

Last edited by fatmatt0116; 01-13-2015 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #17
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep

And the winner is....

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S w/18 miles on it.

Deal was too good to pass up. It can be tuned to 600+ hp so I can get my hp fix if necessary, but the handling is amazing. I've loved my ultimate driving machines, but I guess there is no substitute after all.
Attached Images

2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 09:11 PM   #18
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

Very nice looking vehicule
Congrats

This one is nice too !
2015 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/13/2...-detroit-2015/
60 miles per hour in 3.8 seconds

Maybe that's why they had good rebates.

Keep us posted with your impressions.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 11:06 PM   #19
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S w/18 miles on it.

Deal was too good to pass up. It can be tuned to 600+ hp so I can get my hp fix if necessary, but the handling is amazing. I've loved my ultimate driving machines, but I guess there is no substitute after all.
Congrats! That's a sweet ride!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 04:36 AM   #20
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep

Congrats, very good choice!

p.s. Dont mention your dinan 5.0 and the turbo s in the same sentence haha
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 06:56 AM   #21
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gan23 View Post
Very nice looking vehicule
Congrats

This one is nice too !
2015 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/13/2...-detroit-2015/
60 miles per hour in 3.8 seconds

Maybe that's why they had good rebates.

Keep us posted with your impressions.
That is a nice ride, but for $157,300? I'd rather give BMW my money for a 2015 X5M and save close to $60,000. A nicely optioned Turbo S will run $175,000.

Last edited by AwesomeM3; 01-14-2015 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: added Turbo S price with options
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #22
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeM3 View Post
That is a nice ride, but for $157,300? I'd rather give BMW my money for a 2015 X5M and save close to $60,000. A nicely optioned Turbo S will run $175,000.
Sale price is 130k on 157k MSRP, and this car is extremely well optioned, including electric shades, tow hitch (for my yacht, naturally), running boards, smoked tail lights, etc. Seems like a great deal to me. Even better than the 2015 x5m MSRP 113,150 that I had agreed to pay 109k for. I will be taking the 179 deduction on this vehicle for business as well so I'm okay with the extra dollars spent. I almost got suckered into buying a Turbo S with the carbon ceramic brake package for 137k then I found out it costs almost $18,000 to replace the rotors. Yikes! Guess I'll have to make due with the stock Brembos, oh well.

One of the great things about this car is that everything is done. The suspension is electronically adjustable and right where I want it to be. It has awesome 21" wheels, smoked tail lights, ridiculously cool looking head lights, etc. There isn't much I will need to do to it at all.

Take a look for yourself, the car is undeniably beautiful and has all of the suspension bells and whistles that BMW does not:

http://www.porscheofsouthshore.com/n...13fc5056c6.htm

2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0