E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Eating a quart of oil in 800 miles....

11-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
Drkreign
Rep
Drives: Stock except for the CDV delet

Eating a quart of oil in 800 miles....

Hey folks, I'm in the process of figuring out why my car is consuming a quart of oil every 800 miles or so. I just bought the car about 3 months ago, it is a 07 335i Sedan with steptronic. Initially when I went looking for the leak I went searching all the usual places, coolant, valve cover gasket and OFHG but all locations were as lean as could be. I noticed oil of some type was leaking where the trans and engine meet and figured the rear main was leaking. I dropped the trans and soon found out that the rear main looks dry but my torque converter front shaft seal is leaking trans fluid!

So while I was working under the car replacing the rear main and the front shaft seal I happened to look up and see that my hose from the little check valve to my BMS OCC was covered in oil. I figure I didn't tighten it down enough when I installed the new PCV check valve, but when I say the line is covered, I mean that bad boy is COVERED in oil. So I took off the check valve the OCC connects to and put my pinky about 3/4" into the valve cover and swiped it against the valve cover opening and when I pulled my pinky back it was covered in oil, to the point it was dripping oil.

Now I get that there is going to be oily residue in the valve cover ecspecially in the PCV system, but does this sound like a abnormal amount of oil in that system? I know the valve cover was replace by BMW about 10k miles ago by the previous owner (I'm assuming the oil consumption on this car isn't new) but given, from what I've read, the PCV system is partially built into the valve cover is this something that commonly goes bad on these cars? Also, is there a way to test it and if not, is there a cheaper solution than 400 bucks for a stupid valve cover?
Appreciate 0