European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
M4 back on track at AMP

Took the M4 out to Arizona Motorsports Park which is probably the nicest road course here in the Phoenix area. Fast flowing track with lots of run-off space. http://arizonamotorsportspark.com/ Unfortunately there are noise restrictions which limits its use. Wasn't sure if my E36 would pass sound check with headers and straight exhaust so didn't bother to bring it along with the M4. Also, haven't had the chance to put the E36 back together after my minor crash at WHP West track a few weeks ago.

This was my third time on track with the M4 and I followed my plan to progressively turn off all traction control devices. My first outing at INDE, I ran with DSC fully on just getting a feel for the car. My second outing at East track I run it in MDM mode, but still found it too intrusive. I rented a transponder here at AMP so I could get official times for the M4. As a point of reference, when I ran AMP about a year ago in my E36 track car (before headers and cat delete), I did a best lap of 1:58.62. To date I've been quicker on every track in it vs. the M4.

Stats on my M4:
Weight with driver: 3780lbs
Engine: stock except BMC filters and carbon filters delete
Suspension: stock
Tires: Toyo R888 265/30/19, 295/30/19 on stock rims
Brakes: Steel OEM rotors, Carbotechs XP12/10

First session of the day I still kept it in MDM mode, just getting reacquainted with the track. Was in a lot of traffic and did a so-so 2:01. I felt like I was just cruising around barely going fast at all. The car is deceptively faster than it feels.

Second session. Time to turn all traction controls off and stick with the plan. WOW, the car really wakes up! Very balanced, just gentle oversteer when adding throttle and no more perceived "lag" on upshifts. The "lag" that I was feeling before was obviously just the nannies kicking in. Best lap time in this session 1:56.555, 5 seconds per lap faster just by turning MDM off! Felt foolish that it took me my third trip to the track to finally turn everything off. The M division obviously knows what they're doing and put out a beautifully balanced and well behaved car!

Third and Fourth sessions. Progressively got a little faster each session. Could basically track down and pass anything on the track except for a couple of Porsche GT3's, the rare guys that know how to drive their Corvette, and fully prepped race cars. Here's a video of the last session of the day when my buddy Leroy and his friend are racing their E46 race cars through HDPE traffic as I'm minding my own business reeling in a couple of Porsches. Best lap of the day in this session of 1:55.002, a personal best at this track and more than 3 seconds faster than my E36 last year.

Very, very impressed with the F82. Superb balance and handling, wonderful torque and power, and precise steering. It does feel a little "detached" from the track as the M adaptive suspension smooths a lot of bumps out. The result of this is that you're going a lot faster than it feels, which I guess is a good problem to have.

Weakness is still the brakes. Even with the Carbotechs, I'd start to get a little bit of soft pedal 12-15 minutes into a hard run session. I'm thinking it may be the OEM brake fluid was getting overheated? It even kind of scared me on one high speed slow down as it felt like the car was just a tad imbalanced and skating a bit. I found myself braking a bit sooner than I would of wanted too. I have SS brake lines to install and will try another type of brake fluid I think. Any suggestions of fluid type or is everyone running OEM fluid still?

Only other slight negative I can say about the car, is that the way I'm set up in the car and how thick the steering wheel is, I can't see the speedo or tach at all. Would be good to be able to see the tach, but luckily the torque curve is so broad probably doesn't matter when you shift. I was just shifting be feel and engine sound. Didn't bounce off rev limiter at all that I noticed so I guess I'm good to go.

Thanks for viewing.

WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889

Last edited by MaynardZed; 11-16-2014 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Great write-up!!

On the brake fluid, throw some Castrol SRF in there and you will never have an issue with overheating the fluid again. I have boiled OEM fluid and it isn't a fun experience. Motul 600 or 660 is good... SRF is the best and worth the peace of mind IMO.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Second the Castrol SRF. You have to do a complete exchange every 18 months with the SRF instead of the 24 months for other brake fluids, but anyone doing lots of HPDE weekends will easily replace the total fluid during that time frame by multiple aggressive bleedings.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
Second the Castrol SRF. You have to do a complete exchange every 18 months with the SRF instead of the 24 months for other brake fluids, but anyone doing lots of HPDE weekends will easily replace the total fluid during that time frame by multiple aggressive bleedings.
I thought it was annually for SRF? That's what I've been doing.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
Took the M4 out to Arizona Motorsports Park which is probably the nicest road course here in the Phoenix area. Fast flowing track with lots of run-off space. http://arizonamotorsportspark.com/ Unfortunately there are noise restrictions which limits its use. Wasn't sure if my E36 would pass sound check with headers and straight exhaust so didn't bother to bring it along with the M4. Also, haven't had the chance to put the E36 back together after my minor crash at WHP West track a few weeks ago.
So happy to see you went with 6MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Great write-up!!

On the brake fluid, throw some Castrol SRF in there and you will never have an issue with overheating the fluid again. I have boiled OEM fluid and it isn't a fun experience. Motul 600 or 660 is good... SRF is the best and worth the peace of mind IMO.
Agreed. SRF is what I use.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Good write-up and thanks for sharing

Quote:
Time to turn all traction controls off and stick with the plan. WOW, the car really wakes up!
^This

Both DSC and MDM (US mode at least) are way too intrusive to appreciate the balance and poise of this fantastic chassis. Glad you enjoyed it. And congrats on your times .

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-16-2014 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

I love track stories, if you couldn't tell already thanks for the post.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #8
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Great write-up!!

Thanks I'll definitely give the SRF a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Good write-up and thanks for sharing

Both DSC and MDM (US mode at least) are way too intrusive to appreciate the balance and poise of this fantastic chassis. Glad you enjoyed it. And congrats on your times .
Yes I couldn't more pleased with how the car handles. Refreshing to be using tires again that make some noise too. Been using DOT slicks for awhile on my track car which make no noise at all. Only feedback is the bum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
I love track stories, if you couldn't tell already thanks for the post.
Thanks! Biggest problem I'm going to start having is if I start being faster in my M4 I might have to do a S54 or LS swap in my E36 to keep up.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Only other slight negative I can say about the car, is that the way I'm set up in the car and how thick the steering wheel is, I can't see the speedo or tach at all. Would be good to be able to see the tach, but luckily the torque curve is so broad probably doesn't matter when you shift. I was just shifting be feel and engine sound.

There really is a lot of adjustment on the steering wheel (up, down, in, out). You can't adjust the wheel to see the tach and speedo and steel have a confortable position?
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #10
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
There really is a lot of adjustment on the steering wheel (up, down, in, out). You can't adjust the wheel to see the tach and speedo and steel have a confortable position?
Not really, if I move the wheel forward or up it feels like I'm reaching too much and my arms aren't relaxed. Any further down and it's in my lap. I'm a bit limited with my body size too, the seat is at its lowest setting yet my helmet is against the roof so I can't move forward very well either.

It's all good though, with this motor it doesn't seem to matter much which gear you're in. That broad torque curve is pretty much there all the time except up at the very top. When it starts to fall off you can feel it and then you shift.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #11
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
Certainly if you track a lot then exchanging the fluid ever year would not be a bad thing, but unless Castrol has changed the recommendations it needs to be changed every 18 months.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #12
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Castrol SRF is really a great product. When I use it I change it every other event. Some seasons I start off with Motul RBF 600, which is also a great product, but I flush that out for each event.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
Certainly if you track a lot then exchanging the fluid ever year would not be a bad thing, but unless Castrol has changed the recommendations it needs to be changed every 18 months.
That's great to know. Thanks
Appreciate 0